Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NEED HELP!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421918)

alybeth 05-12-2008 01:41 PM

NEED HELP!!!

Ok, so I'm not normally much of a worrier, but right now I'm at my wit's end. Last week DS had been sick (although I thought it was just teething) and wouldn't nurse much. (And I didn't pump much either) Then I got sick, and wasn't eating/drinking much. Now we're both better, and DS has his appitite back. However, my supply has decreased. He's been wanting to nurse alot, but never seems full afterward, and is fussy. So I started feeding on one side, while pumping on the other to see how much I would get. I have been getting about 1 oz. I've also been giving him what milk we had in the freezer (and pumping if I give him that) to keep him satisified. My concern is that I just dethawd our last bag of milk. I'm worried that I may have to supplement with formula by evening, and I desperately don't want to do that!! ANY advice would be greatly appriciated!!
We also have eliminated dairy, wheat, and acidic foods just in case any suggestions would include consuming something from those groups.
Thanks!!

Cadensmommy 05-12-2008 02:23 PM

Re: NEED HELP!!!

Drink lots! Nurse as much as he will and no supplements it will come back! but you have to tell your body you need it. every time you supplement you take that away, also a pump does not do as well as your baby so thats not a good judge
Good luck!
Clarissa

reagansmom05 05-12-2008 03:38 PM

yes, drink a lot of water! TRY to relax when he eats, being tense really does affect let down. oatmeal is supposed to increase supply! rest! try to get him to the breast as often as possible!

Caidensmom 05-12-2008 09:51 PM

Fenugreek worked WONDERS for me!
Also Blessed Thistle, and Mothers Milk tea is supposed to be good too. All can be found at GNC, or any other herbal/vitamin store

life.sew.simple 05-12-2008 09:55 PM

Don't worry...drink lots of water and keep on nursing. I have been here MANY times, thought my milk was dwindling down but it always came back to full supply as long as I kept up in nursing and drinking fluids....it's a beautiful and wondrous thing, this breastfeeding as ALL of us MAMMALS should do if possible!

mdeveer 05-12-2008 10:01 PM

STOP WORRYING!!!! Worrying about your supply is, by far, the best way to decrease your supply in a hurry. My sister and COUNTLESS friends have all been told this, and, those who listened (I'm happy to say almost all of them gave it a shot!! :)) all saw drastic results - some immediately. I've been dehydrated on many occasions and DS (and DD before) were both more than satisfied - of course I was weak and dizzy, but that's beside the point. Try to relax, and, as the other PP said, nurse as frequently as he wants to right now to build your supply back up. Your body's not going to fail you and your DS right now. Any chance he's teething, or something besides supply level, is causing the fussiness after eating? I'd honestly consider trying either Hyland's Colic or Teething Tablets after the next couple of feedings to see if it is gas and/or teeth before assuming it's definitely supply. As PP said, pumping is not necessarily a good indicator of supply - at all for those who normally BR w/o it. :goodvibes:

paintedbison 05-12-2008 10:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about pumping, supplementing, or eliminating any foods. I would only supplement if you are seeing VERY few wet diapers per day. Otherwise you are going to continue to deplete your supply. Pumping will not remove as much milk from the breast as baby... so if he fusses, just nurse him again. That will stimulate your breasts to make more milk.

I don't see any reason to eliminate foods unless there are other problems that you haven't mentioned here. Don't make things harder than they have to be!

Do you usually pump? Do you usually get more when you pump? 1oz per side really is about an average amount for pumping. Especially if baby is nursing frequently.

I would just nurse as often as he fusses and let nature rebuild your supply. It should bounce back in a day or so. Forget the diet, supplementing, pumping business. Just spend all day with your feet up, watching some tv, and nursing. Much better plan, huh? :goodvibes:

alybeth 05-13-2008 06:06 AM

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I do think I just had myself worried for no reason. Last night he ate like a champ all throughout the night (for much longer periods at a time than ever!). We've also not really had a problem with few wet diapers either. I just knew that I had barely eaten or drank in a few days, and was worried that was the problem. I do think the fussieness is either from his teething (which is part of why he had decreased his eating last week) or his AR (which is why I've restrcited my diet), although at first it diffinately didn't seem like his gassy cry. I did eat a milkshake on Sunday to soothe my sore throat. It ws the first diary product I had consumed in almost 2 weeks. My stomach felt horrible afterward (I've always thought I might be lactose intolerant, but never adjusted my diet to find out, til I thought it might helo DS). I'd been waiting til we were past the fussiness of teething (or sickness) before I started reintroducing foods back into my diet, so will start soon.

Thanks again so much for all your help and support!!! =)