Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Virus and Formula Supplementation? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422610)

argecash 05-13-2008 09:57 AM

Virus and Formula Supplementation?

My DS has a virus which is causing him to have green, mucousy diarrhea. He has no other symptoms. At the ped. yesterday she said he is not gaining enough weight b/c of the diarrhea and that I need to give him 2 oz. of formula after each feeding. He gained 7 oz. in a week and a half since his last visit but she said that's not enough and she said his skin is not filled out enough. Has anyone had a similar experience? I don't want to give him the formula and he hates it. He won't take it through a bottle or syringe. Plus, I don't want to give him a bottle b/c we're still dealing with latch issues, he's 6 weeks old. I'm worried about his health but also suspicious of the peds. advice.

SubliminalDarkness 05-13-2008 10:05 AM

Re: Virus and Formula Supplementation?

I completely disagree with that advice. If your son's digestion is being affected by a virus, why would you want to further aggravate it by putting something into his body that it's not used to, or even designed to, digest?

We made it through several viruses, and even stomach ulceration, without any kind of supplementation, just by nursing on demand. Maybe start offering more often than he even indicates he wants to nurse.

mythreemonkeys 05-13-2008 10:34 AM

I agree with the pp. If he is gaining, even if it is slowly, at least he is gaining! (my nephew was a ff baby, and was always on the low end of the weight chart, so formula isn't always the answer) Your breastmilk is the best thing for his little immune system right now anyway!

Maybe you need to call around and find a ped that is more supportive of BFing? I know it's a pain, but better than having to defend yourself to a doc all the time, kwim?

GL, I hope all is well soon! :hugs:

JustJack 05-13-2008 10:36 AM

I wouldn't give formula. BM is better! Just keep on nursing like crazy. You can do it mama!

Mirasmom 05-13-2008 10:42 AM

BF babies only need to gain 4-7 oz per week- he's right on track. Don't let them scare you- he's fine!

Irishmommy 05-13-2008 12:58 PM

Ditto what everyone else said!!:hugs:

valpopp 05-13-2008 04:03 PM

I say get a new ped--no formula it will cause your ds more problems

mamoo3 05-13-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirasmom (Post 3566054)
BF babies only need to gain 4-7 oz per week- he's right on track. Don't let them scare you- he's fine!

:yeahthat: Also, formula is very hard on babies tummy and intestinal tract so I would think that would be very hard on a lo with a virus.

patagonia 05-13-2008 05:38 PM

DS has always gained 4oz per week, totally normal

lydiamom 05-14-2008 07:00 AM

anytime dd has had a stomach virus my ped always told me ONLY to breastfeed. Its considered a clear liquid and anything else would only aggrivate the diarrhea.