Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Eczema on the nips? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422667)

Mirasmom 05-13-2008 09:49 AM

Eczema on the nips?

Anyone have it, or know anything about it?

My nips are still so sore all the time after 10 weeks- I'm currently on diflucan as is DS so I know it's not thrush, plus it doesn't feel like thrush. It just hurts. Burns a little, but not thrush-like. They are really red, not shiny, but are very moisturized and not dry at all. I can't figure out what's going on. His latch isn't always perfect due to my large size and flat nipples, but we've done CST and seen lactation consultant weekly who says his latch is fine- tongue in right position, not tongue tied, getting plenty of milk, etc.

I've tried lanolin, mother love thrush cream, earth mama nipple butter, many antifungals, all purpose nipple cream, olive oil, coconut oil, WHAT ELSE?! I can't figure out what it could be besides eczema?!:cry:

Irishmommy 05-13-2008 11:49 AM

Re: Eczema on the nips?

Mamma, mine feel the same way and I think it is just because of Aiden's latch, but maybe for you it is different if you think his latch is good. I think Aiden does something weird with his tongue after he latches on. Anyway, I hope you figure it out. Let me know if anything works for you...:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Mirasmom 05-13-2008 01:24 PM

Yeah, maybe it is....I dunno. I'd like to know if it's eczema though...but I don't know anyone who has it!

b'smom 05-13-2008 03:26 PM

I had on and off burning in my nipples for the entire time I nursed ds and my doctor thought it was eczema. I did find that APNO did help b/c of the cortisone. There isn't much else you can do.

Mirasmom 05-13-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b'smom (Post 3569244)
I had on and off burning in my nipples for the entire time I nursed ds and my doctor thought it was eczema. I did find that APNO did help b/c of the cortisone. There isn't much else you can do.

hm. I've been doing hydrocortisone today to see if it helps at all. We'll see. How long did you nurse?

autumnlily 05-13-2008 08:15 PM

I had eczema on my right breast when nursing my oldest DD. It was dry and flaky - and under the flakes, it was red.

I used Ed's Herbal Salve and Polysporin - off and on. Honestly, it didn't go away until several months after I was done nursing.

A few suggestions - 1 to 10: vinegar to water solution, dab it on each breast after each feeding and let air dry. Use the thrush salve you have after the vinegar dries. I was very prone to thrush/yeast when eczema was present on my breast.

Sometimes I just let the girls hang out and dry after nursing

Don't use soap on nips when showering, if you need to - use a baby soap product

hope that helps

MandMsMom 05-13-2008 08:22 PM

Yep, got it there, also on backs of ears so bad they split open. Sometimes on eyelids too. Eczema is the worst. Have had it since I was a baby. Only things that works for me is 2% hydrocortisone (Rx strength.) I don't know if you should really use it while nursing, though? I had to stop using it while I was pregnant and it was a LONG 9 months. Probably only a doctor or dermatologist can tell you for sure if that's what it is. Hope it improves soon - I can't imagine breastfeeding while having that going on. Take care of yourself!! :hugs:

b'smom 05-13-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirasmom (Post 3569804)
hm. I've been doing hydrocortisone today to see if it helps at all. We'll see. How long did you nurse?

13 months-he weaned himself. I would have kept going as long as he wanted. Around 5mos or so, it was REALLY bad, almost like the pain at the beginning, but it got better. I'd get a day or two of pain, then maybe a week of no pain. It wasn't constant-it would come and go.