Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   babywearers - do you change sides? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42302)

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 09-16-2006 09:51 PM

babywearers - do you change sides?

I got into baby wearing a little late. Ethan was five months when I bought a Hotsling pouch and he's now 8 months. I primarily use my zolowear ring sling now b/c I like the more custom fit. I use the hip carry all the time now. The sling instructions suggest switching hips now and then - do you do that? I haven't yet. I feel that I should, but I mostly use the sling when running errands, or when we're at a place like the aquarium or something - I want my right hand free. What do you do?

thanks!

AngelMommy 09-16-2006 10:17 PM

Re: babywearers - do you change sides?

With a bigger baby, I recommend a maitai. My back started hurting when I would wear my son in a sling around the time he was 5 or 6 months. I just started babywearing again, and we use a mai tai. I like using the back carry, and we both love it. He is weightless, and I have both hands free! it can be used for a hip carry and a front carry and in the front and back carry, it distributes the weight evenly across your torso!

If you still want to use the sling, I would definately try to switch sides every so often to counter act the excess weight/stress you are putting on one side of your body frequently. this helps to even it out.

Good luck and HTH!!

Laura

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 09-16-2006 10:57 PM

thanks!! Maybe I'll get some more consignment shop money and I'll spring for another type of carrier!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-16-2006 11:12 PM

i didnt switch sides only because i got used to carrying on my left hip. when i got my BHJ though i loved it and it evenly distibutes the weight, they are awesome!

Sarah 09-17-2006 12:00 AM

I don't switch sides either. I do just about everything with Taci in the sling,and I'm right handed so I need her to be on my left hip

shandi 09-17-2006 12:08 AM

I don't switch sides either when wearing a pouch or RS, it just feels weird! I always wear Tristan on my left side or hip because I am right handed and it leaves my right hand free to do things with.

Mind you, I wear a mei tai or a wrap alot as well so I guess it all evens out :)

worldwarcaitlin 09-17-2006 01:02 PM

I don't switch hips because I find my left more comfortable. However I use a wrap, not a sling, so I rotate between back, hip, and front.

daniels_mami 09-17-2006 11:44 PM

i dont switch sides. i always have ds on my right. i can use both hands (forget what its called)

cuties02q 09-18-2006 05:26 AM

I always carry on my right hip in my 4 years of BW i have yet to change sides :giggle: But now that ds is 15 months i mainly use a MT for a back carry or a wrap for a back or front carry.

rpg_mommy 09-18-2006 11:02 AM

I always carry Ian on my left side if he's in the ring sling. Now that he's heavier, though, I love my wrap more - evenly distributes the weight and keeps my back from hurting so bad.