Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2 Smiley 2 Nurse (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423352)

duck411 05-13-2008 08:48 PM

2 Smiley 2 Nurse

This is gonna sound crazy, but my DD, going on 4 months next week smiles and giggles so much it's hard for me to nurse her. She gets latched on - goes at it for a minute or less, then pops off laughing or smiling....... What is up with that????? I'll usually fight with her for a few minutes - switch sides a couple times then give up and attempt to enertain her. Then she'll keep doing it for several hours or what would be 2-3 feedings, until she gets upset cuz she's so hungry and then I have a hard time feeding her cuz she's screaming! What do I do?????

Harmony96 05-13-2008 09:13 PM

Re: 2 Smiley 2 Nurse

:giggle: That would be cute if it didn't end up being so frustrating for you both. :hugs: Is she looking into your eyes when she pops off? I'd probably try to latch her right back onto that same side and just be "boring" about it and tell her "it's time to eat now. Momma will play with you afterwards." Or she may not be hungry enough if she stops and smiles. :dunno: If she doesn't eat after 2-3 attempts in 5 minutes or so, I'd put the boob away, but NOT actively entertain her (but just let her play by herself w/ a few toys or a floor gym or something), and instead try to feed her again in half an hour or so.

lulusmom 05-14-2008 02:01 AM

She's at that age when they start getting super distractable. I would say as long as she's eating well during night nursings not to worry too much about it. At night lots of babies tend to eat better because there are no distractions, it's quiet and dark, and if you cosleep she is right there where the food is all night.

duck411 05-14-2008 03:44 AM

It seems like she eats often and for a longer period of time in the morning up til about lunch - then she doesn't eat hardly @ all - then goes back to eating lots around supper time til I put her to bed @ 9. Then she wakes up about 430 to eat...... I think I do just need to be boring........not look at her............cuz apparently my face is just too funny for her.... LOL

Harmony96 05-14-2008 08:04 AM

The way she's "cluster" feeding sounds totally normal.

Hey maybe you could do this when you nurse her: :bagoverhead: :giggle: just kidding. :p

mdeveer 05-14-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck411 (Post 3571801)
This is gonna sound crazy, but my DD, going on 4 months next week smiles and giggles so much it's hard for me to nurse her. She gets latched on - goes at it for a minute or less, then pops off laughing or smiling....... What is up with that????? I'll usually fight with her for a few minutes - switch sides a couple times then give up and attempt to enertain her. Then she'll keep doing it for several hours or what would be 2-3 feedings, until she gets upset cuz she's so hungry and then I have a hard time feeding her cuz she's screaming! What do I do?????

This was sooooo my DD at the same age!:giggle: However, I was very fortunate in that she was sleeping through the night (10 hours!), so, although, she was distracted, she was also hungry enough to eat. I had more soaking-shirt problems!!:giggle: It made me sad not to watch her eat, but since I was so distracting to her I started reading while she was nursing. The less eye contact, the better for us.