Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   baby food: jar vs homemade (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42363)

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 09-17-2006 08:18 AM

baby food: jar vs homemade

Who does homemade here & who does jarred food? I was SO ready to be making Gavin's food until my DR said oh no I discourage it because I've had many cases of food poisoning from babies eating homemade pureed food. Now, I posted this on LLL board also, so my goodness there I feel like I am doing wrong by giving him jarred food :giggle: I would just like to hear what others have to say... also what do you think of this article (someone posted it there) http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

So I'd like reassurance that jar food is not poison :smiley_haha: (jk, I know it's NOT lol) and also maybe some convincing that if I do want to make some homemade stuff, he will be FINE! I'd like to make it but hubby and I are scared of the "chances" now kwim? Maybe you can guide me to some things to do or avoid? Thanks!

FWIW also, Gavin has OF COURSE preferred jar food to the homemade stuff, he ate more of the jar food than the other... and yes we are ready for him to have solids, as he is VERY ready LOL showing signs and all, last night he had a baby feast on (jar) carrots & bananas :giggle:

Ok done rambling now lol

heather_c 09-17-2006 08:25 AM

Re: baby food: jar vs homemade

I have made all of Matthew's food. It has been really easy, and I like knowing exactly what he is eating. If you follow good food hygiene rules, it is very safe to make the food. www.wholesomebabyfood.com has great ideas and food safety information.

I cook/steam all of the friuts and vegetables then immediately puree and freeze in ice cube trays. I then store the frozen cubes in ziploc bags and defrost each cube as needed. It is super easy for us and is sooooooo much cheaper than jarred food. Good luck!

JackieLyn 09-17-2006 08:25 AM

We made our own baby food...we kinda just thought "why buy separate food for him if he could eat what we were eating" just an added expense that wasn't necessary. Making baby is so easy and you can make a lot ahead of time...go to http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com and it'll tell you how to cook and prepare it! it's an excellent resource! best of luck!

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 09-17-2006 08:30 AM

thanks for the links, ok but what if the extra expense is not an issue? I mean he's still getting nutritious food with the jar food right? I mean of course fresh is best with ANYTHING lol it's certainly better for me to cook a meal than grab mcdonalds :smiley_haha: but with baby food, I mean it's not "junk" right? See hubby feels a lot stronger than I do on it, and well of course we have to agree on things kwim? I won't budge on co sleeping (I love it) but where I can I do try to go with his wishes kwim? anyhow rambling again... lol

I am going to check those out though and try some more maybe ;)

oh and also... I have heard various time frames, I heard you should wait a WEEK before trying a new food, I've also heard 2-3 days is enough, so what have most of you gone with?

JackieLyn 09-17-2006 08:37 AM

Well another reason like the pp said is that you know exactly what you are putting into your baby's body :) you should do what you think is right for you and baby! hth

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 09-17-2006 08:39 AM

I started w/ jarrred and starting at 7 months (he's 8 now) I started making my own using the book Super Baby Food. Its agreat book!! I think he enjoys his food alot more and eats so much better. I've also started doing some stuff where I just make food for us and he gets some - like whatever veggies I'm making, etc. I have a magic bullet and it works wonders. Plus, I can make a bunch at once and freeze it, so I normally only cook for him maybe twice a week or so. I thought it would be really hard but now its really routine.

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 09-17-2006 08:42 AM

oh I will of course do what I think is best lol but I am kinda heartbroken by what the dr told me, but like I said I can't go against ALL my hubby's wishes LOL so just wanted some input from others :)

Sarah 09-17-2006 08:43 AM

have you ever tasted jarred baby food peas? :yuck:

The food that I make for our kiddos(not for Taci yet)tastes so much better. The Ian and Sophie always loved it,and I liked knowing exactly what they were eating. That became especially true when the started to eat meat. I want to know what part they are eating,not just that it came from a certian animal

sunshinebabies3 09-17-2006 08:43 AM

HI. I just wanted to chim in. I made all of my babies' food until recently when frankly I just ran out of time. I think jarred food is fine, but I highly encourage you to get organic baby food. It will still have preservatives that your homemade food wont have but it shouldnt have pesticide residue or anything like that.

Now as for the food poisoning in homemade food...that is bizarre. I wonder if he means pureed meat that wasnt handled appropriately??:headscratch: And even then, it doesnt seem like a parent who would take the time to make baby food would routinely not cook it enough. weird.

Anyway, I dont think either is poison or a bad choice. Organic food is more expensive but worth it in my opinion. I get ours at babies r us; earthfare & kroger. Good luck mama! :thumbsup:

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 09-17-2006 08:47 AM

yeah I am still trying to figure out the food poisoning thing too :( I will see if we can find organic stuff around here! not sure if we can, right now we are buying natures goodness