Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Supplementing and diaper washing routine (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423691)

mkekaty 05-14-2008 09:16 AM

Supplementing and diaper washing routine

My DS is 3 weeks old and not up to birth weight :cry: so I need to begin supplementing with formula to get him more calories. Will this change my diaper washing routine because before I just threw the diapers in the washer. TIA!

SubliminalDarkness 05-14-2008 09:18 AM

Re: Supplementing and diaper washing routine

Not sure.... I don't think it will.

But did want to toss in that my LO didn't make it back to birth weight until he was almost 4 weeks :hugs: If you want to talk, feel free to PM me. Maybe I can help you troubleshoot.

normajean 05-14-2008 09:19 AM

are you getting enough calories mama? how often are you nursing? My ds is 11 days old, just about 2 weeks, and he's eating every 2-3 hours around the clock! I'm eating like I'm still pregnant almost ( no caffiene, no chocolate, no gasey goodies).

wendellg 05-14-2008 09:23 AM

:hugs: mama! My DS 2 is almost 4 months old and we still supplement one bottle a day and it hasn't changed our wash routine at all. Just throw it in the washer. Breastmilk is still the majority of what they are getting. I haven't noticed much difference between EBF and supplemented poo.

mkekaty 05-14-2008 09:37 AM

I've met with two lactation consultants and am pumping as well as nursing on demand. I was told that my milk is not "fatty" enough and that supplementing with ebm and formula will help get him back to birth weight. He eats until he is full and has the right amount of diapers in a day...he's just gaining weight slowly. I also started taking "More Milk" to boost my milk supply, so hopefully that will help and in a week he will be where he needs to be for me to stop with formula. My ped recommended doing formula last week after feedings, but I wanted to try one more week on just bm...but with little luck

SubliminalDarkness 05-14-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkekaty (Post 3574956)
I've met with two lactation consultants and am pumping as well as nursing on demand. I was told that my milk is not "fatty" enough and that supplementing with ebm and formula will help get him back to birth weight. He eats until he is full and has the right amount of diapers in a day...he's just gaining weight slowly. I also started taking "More Milk" to boost my milk supply, so hopefully that will help and in a week he will be where he needs to be for me to stop with formula. My ped recommended doing formula last week after feedings, but I wanted to try one more week on just bm...but with little luck

:hugs: I was very fortunate. When my DS was gaining very slowly, our pediatrician took a good look at him. He could see he was developing well, wasn't jaundiced, was getting enough to eat. And he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Some kids are just slower to gain than others." And left it at that.

If everything but the number on the scale is on target, I wouldn't supplement. I would nurse on demand, and make it a point to feed him at least every 3 hours, if not more, even overnight, even if he's sleeping soundly.

mdeveer 05-14-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness (Post 3575111)
:hugs: I was very fortunate. When my DS was gaining very slowly, our pediatrician took a good look at him. He could see he was developing well, wasn't jaundiced, was getting enough to eat. And he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Some kids are just slower to gain than others." And left it at that.

If everything but the number on the scale is on target, I wouldn't supplement. I would nurse on demand, and make it a point to feed him at least every 3 hours, if not more, even overnight, even if he's sleeping soundly.

I agree with what she said - although I do regret the waking at night thing b/c in the long run it wasn't worth the lost sleep for all!!:giggle: My milk is really "thin" - it's been jokingly called the skim milk of breast milk by others:giggle2: , but both kids have managed to thrive on it and nothing else - although they just don't gain as much. Both started out big for me - 7 lbs 4 oz and 8 lbs 6 oz (did I mention my weight when going into labor was a measly 130 lbs?? and they were both weeks early), went right back to birth weight within a week or less then stabilized and have both grown very slowly since. I've gotten nothing but praise from my peds for sticking with it so long. Maybe you could get a second opinion from a more BF-friendly ped?:headscratch:

mollypeters 05-14-2008 01:55 PM

I had pretty"skim" milk with my ds1. With ds 2 and 3, i was told to drink rasberry leaf tea (not raspberry flavored tea, but the actual leaves of the plant). Not only did it boost my supply, but it made my milk like heavy cream! I'll be using it again w/ new baby.