Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   How much spitting up is ok? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424519)

queenjane555 05-14-2008 10:45 PM

How much spitting up is ok?

My foster baby is the first baby i've formula fed, my older son was completely breastfed until he weaned at 3.5yrs, and frankly i dont really remember the finer details of his babyhood (like whether he spit up alot)....foster baby is now almost four months old. When he first came (at three weeks) i remember thinking how great it was that i didnt have to change his clothes all the time, he never spit up, or if he did it was just like a little burp....we had to switch from Similac to Enfamil because that is what WIC provides, and around that time i noticed a big increase in his spitting up, to the point where he was spitting up ALOT even an hour after he ate....i would need to change his whole outfit, sometimes it would be all over me or the floor. (ewww).

So, i bought Similac out of my own pocket, and i'm giving him bottles that are about 1/3 to 1/2 enfamil and 1/2 similac, which seems to decrease the spitting up a bit but he still does it. I keep a bib on him at all times plus a cloth diaper nearby, and still sometimes need to change him.

I have NO idea if all this is normal, if its the enfamil, if its formula in general (how does one know they need to switch to soy, or to a "gentle" formula, etc??) He doesnt really seem to be in pain or anything, uncomfortable like i would imagine he would if he were lactose intolerant or something. He isnt gassy at all(thank you Dr Brown)....

I'm so irritated with the WIC nutritionist because she said that Similac and Enfamil were exactly the same "like Coke and Pepsi" (uhhh, lady, those are completely different!), and yet they have different ingrediants according to their label...but are they really so different that one would be tolerated and the other not? I wonder, if the dr wrote a script for Similac, if WIC would provide that. I know another foster mom is getting a Similac product for her f.baby, but its a special preemie formula.

Advice?

Katherine

smilelykylie 05-14-2008 11:00 PM

Re: How much spitting up is ok?

My daughter was 100% BF but still spit up ALOT. Like every feeding for a long time afterwards BUT she was what they call a happy spitter and it didn't bother her. Just what the doc calls a laundry problem. My nephews were this way too. My godson on the other hand wasn't spitting much but was very uncomfortable, gassy etc and is now on reflux meds.

All this to say it is more about the baby's temperment in relation to the spitting rather than the amount of spit up.

If you really think the brand is affecting it could the doctor right you a script for it that WIC would then honor. I think I have heard of that happening before. Also be sure to sign up for Similac's mail program for samples and coupons.

Bella Italia 05-15-2008 09:46 PM

Is it projectile? Is he a happy spitter or does he seem uncomfortable? Is he gaining weight?

Sunnyj 05-16-2008 04:45 AM

My DD is almost one and she still spits up! The doc said some kids are just like that. She spits up a lot too, and not just formula. She spits up water, juice and food. Gross. As long as he is happy and not fussy I wouldn't worry about it. Just wait it out. Most kids grow out of spitting up by 6 months (except mine lol).

litlepick 05-16-2008 05:59 AM

any amount, provided the baby is gaining weight and not in pain :thumbsup:

try smaller more frequent feedings and a slower flow nipple :goodvibes:

sarahgkeel 05-23-2008 01:33 PM

I’m with Sunnyj… my 9 mo. Old still spits up, but not as much as she used to! It feels like she used to do it all.the.time. In fact, we still go out with a bib on most of the time.

As for switching formula – DD was VERY colicky (but not as bad as she could have been, I suppose) and we switched to the Similac soy (we currently use Similac w/ the blue lid – Advance?) and it got WORSE. MUCH worse. Crying, gassy, more crying b/c she was gassy from the first bout of crying… oh it was bad. We switched back to regular, got some Dr. Browns and all was well. We actually switched back to Avent since we had a ton of them… (she was born 3 wks early and my milk never made it in, despite every attempt to get it to do so… so we had a crash-crash course in bottles and formula when we got home!)

Anyhoo, we try to keep DD still as much as possible after meals – like saying “no” to the Jumperoo, even when we know she wants to be in it. Doc says as long as she doesn’t lose weight, she’s fine. :O)

katesmash 05-23-2008 02:31 PM

I think there's a big difference between spitting up (a small amount, usually after a bottle, at the time of a burp or hiccup, and baby looks fine/not bothered) and throwing up (a bigger amount, usually projectile, and baby coughs and looks upset/bothered by it) KWIM?
my DD is 6 months old, and spits up a couple times a day, not with every bottle, as she is getting better, but used to be every bottle.
She has also had 2-3 times where she projectile threw up, and it was a lot and her eyes were big and she had a bit of a fever.
Spitup is nothing to worry about... as long as you have good laundry skills :giggle:

queenjane555 05-26-2008 09:13 PM

I never got back to this thread...sorry!

No, his spitting up isnt vomiting, but it seems unusual to me that a baby would spit up sooo much, even long after a bottle. Its been a long time since i've had a baby, and my son was breastfed..i dont remember if he spit up alot. The spitting up doesnt bother him, but its gross, and he seemed to spit up more on straight enfamil than on the 2/1 similac/enfamil combo, which leads me to believe that it has something to do with what is in the formula.

Today i bought Enfamil AR which is supposed to be specifically for spitting up, hopefully i will have luck with that, since its an enfamil product, if it works then i doubt WIC would have issue providing it. I was concerned about the added rice starch, but we've started a little solids now, so i think that will be ok. Its supposed to be a thicker formula so it stays down more easily.

Katherine

CherryPie 05-27-2008 07:23 AM

I bf'd #2 and #3, but #1 was FF'd and he always spit up. I think their guts just aren't as healthy and they also drink more than their bellies can hold b/c they can't switch into "comfort sucking mode" like babies do when they BF and suck without getting a lot of milk.

When I went out of town and visited family I would bring a towel to cover the chair I sat on b/c I was so scared he would spit up the whole bottle on their furniture.

jmred 05-27-2008 09:08 AM

Neither of my kids tolerated Enfamil very well at all. I think there is a difference, if you ask me. My son had to be on Good Start,and my dd had to be on Neocate because she spit up everywhere, even with Enfamil AR. I know some spitting up is ok, but if he is throwing up alot, it may be the formula irritating his tummy. There is also Gentlease formula for sensitive tummies, maybe you can try that. Good Luck mama, I know that can be frustrating!