Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Kind of a silly question but I thought I would ask:) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424743)

RoxyRocks 05-15-2008 10:09 AM

Kind of a silly question but I thought I would ask:)

I was wondering if you REALLY drop weight faster when you BF:giggle2: I have always heard this and to be honest with DS I did blind weigh ins durning his pregnancy(I have had issues with a eatting disorder for years and didnt think I was strong enought at that time to really see what I was gaining)

I just have always heard of women dropping weight super fast it is really true :goodvibes:

ForCryingOutLoud 05-15-2008 10:15 AM

Re: Kind of a silly question but I thought I would ask:)

I did. I could fit in my regular clothes in like 2 weeks with my first. But with my 2nd I only gained 12 lbs (i was 10 lbs over weight, so as she gained weight I lost it)... and actually weighed less within 2 weeks of having her.

Mama5 05-15-2008 10:16 AM

I think it really depends on the person. Making milk does burn calories, so as long as you arent overeating more than you need, yes you will lose weight.

MatildasMum 05-15-2008 10:17 AM

Not everyone does. I didn't.

I believe that it's common that women do - but it's not a given.

cupcakewright 05-15-2008 10:17 AM

I gain about 50 lbs witheach baby and I have always nursed and I always lose a bunch of wieght pretty quickly, like 6 mnths but I can not lose the last 5-8 lbs while I am still nursing. My body hangs on to it, I guess, so just incase Texas has a famine, haha!

haelyn79 05-15-2008 10:18 AM

It wasn't true for me. I held on to some of my baby weight until after I weaned. With DS1, I weaned around 9 months and was finally back to my pre-preggo weight (actually ended up a few lbs under even!) about 2 months after that. With DS2, I weaned him about 6 weeks ago and those lost few pounds are finally starting to go away.

RosalieJake817 05-15-2008 12:38 PM

Both times for me, I've lost all but 10lbs within 2-3 weeks. Then I slowly gain a bunch back because I'm SO hungry while nursing. I got pregnant with my second while my first was still nursing, so I don't know if weaning would have had an effect on my weight or not.

Katiebear 05-15-2008 12:41 PM

Like most people have already said - it seems to depend on the person. I lost the majority of weight while I was nursing, but lost another 10 lbs when I fully stopped. Sometimes your body will hold on to a little extra, just to make sure that there is something to make milk out of. Plus, all that milk has to weigh something ;)

e_beth 05-15-2008 12:46 PM

I've found that I can't get rid of the weight without losing my milk supply. My son is 8 mo. old and I'm just started counting calories again this week. It's frustrating because I usually lose weight quickly by dropping my intake of calories. I can't do that while nursing, it's too important to me to nurse my son!!

MUHAJABAH 05-15-2008 12:47 PM

I think I lost all the weight by 4m pp and I think it was 45lbs. I'm not a big eater though and may eat less than I should while breastfeeding.