Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Whats the best age (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425630)

mccullar 05-15-2008 10:02 PM

Whats the best age

to start solid.... not rice cereal, but other foods like veggies and what not?

selinajean 05-15-2008 10:05 PM

Re: Whats the best age

When your baby is ready! You can try at 6 months, but if they are not quite ready for solids, have patience and try again later.

You can start right off with veggies and fruits. You don't need to start with cereals. There isn't a whole lot to them and they taste like paste. :yuck:

mccullar 05-15-2008 10:09 PM

we are doing cereal already, and i know that the dr told us to start with that in bottles, but we spoon feed that already. and hes 3.5 months old. i was thinking to start next month on some 1 step foods. i made some and its in the freezer ready to go. so i wasnt quite sure when to start.

trying to get the general age everyone started i guess

uoducks 05-15-2008 11:20 PM

6mths old is the reccomended age to introduce solids. This includes the first foods (baby cereals: rice, barley, oatmeal) and the pureed veggies/fruits too.

Once they master the puree.. try making it chunkier...then give finger foods around 7mths old. Small pieces of cheese, cherrios, soft fruit, veggies, etc.

naivete 05-15-2008 11:24 PM

never put cereal in bottles, ever, and if you have a doctor recommending it I suggest getting a new doctor. Regardless of if you have the doctors okay, I'd hold off on solids, 6 months is the recommended age because before that a baby's premature gut is what's called an 'open gut'. Starting solids too early can not only lead to constipation, allergies, but bleeding in the intestines that you can't see as well. Honestly it'd be the healthiest if you stopped solids, and reintroduced them at 6 months.

I started solids at 7 1/2 mos.

mccullar 05-16-2008 12:38 PM

did you know that formula some formulas have rice cerial in them? so i dont think its that bad. but not here to start a argument. but just wanted to konw about first foods.

and i know with my oldest i gave him stage two foods at like 9 months.

ok gals thanks for the help. i wont start any solids, i havent given him cerial the last few days so i might stop and try again. he was doing really well with it too, he is just so hungry and i'm not sure how to satisfy him.

thanks for all the help!

JnS Mama 05-18-2008 04:47 PM

Everything I've read told me to start at around 6 months with veggies. Even my Pedi told me to skip rice cereal and just start with veggies. For the iron issue, ground meat cooked in liquid until really soft would address that. And the iron from meat is more bio-available too.

Ami

*lovestef* 05-20-2008 11:45 AM

There are some differing opinions on when to start solids. My pedi recommended that we start cereal at 4 mos. and veggies at 5-6 mos. We're following his guidelines. It also depends on the baby. Some babies are ready to sit up and eat from a spoon at 4-5 months and others aren't ready until 6-7 mos. Use your mama instincts :) Just my :2cents:

ajane 05-20-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccullar (Post 3591723)
we are doing cereal already, and i know that the dr told us to start with that in bottles, but we spoon feed that already. and hes 3.5 months old. i was thinking to start next month on some 1 step foods. i made some and its in the freezer ready to go. so i wasnt quite sure when to start.

trying to get the general age everyone started i guess

He's 3 1/2 months old and you are giving him cereal and thinking about solids already? PLEASE, stop giving him cereal and wait until ATLEAST 6 months before you give him food. The open gut does not close until 4-6 months and if he is given food prior to it closing he is at a VERY high risk for developing food allergies.

We started dd3 on food at 7 1/2 months. We skipped ALL puree and are doing baby led weaning with her. Her first food was a big broccoli piece and she just gummed/chewed on it. We have since given her a half banana a few times and 1/4 sweet potato. She just holds it and eats it. :)

happimum 05-20-2008 08:06 PM

I heard 6 months is the perfect age to start, and so we did, but I have heard you can start as young as 4 months.

There's a book called Super Baby Food, which details what foods are recommended to start at what ages. For example, at 4 months it says you can introduce rice cereal, avocado, bananas, sweet potatoes, and plain yogurt, but then at 5 and 6 months the list grows. It is all based on what they can digest best as they advance in age. It's a great book and has helped me with knowing when to introduce different foods.