Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   ages and food (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425641)

ashtonsmom 05-15-2008 10:19 PM

ages and food

Ok i forget everything about when babies eat what!! when do they usually start cheerios and stuff. i know every babe is different but approx ages here. what age can citus be introduced? strawberries? i cant believe i dont remember any of this!! LOL dd is 7 months. should she be getting for 2 or 3 times a day and does it always have to be with rice cereal ? dd cant have oatmeal. man i need to get abook!!

mccullar 05-15-2008 10:27 PM

Re: ages and food

i would give my son cirtis in this thing they can suck on ant i started that about the age your daughter is i think. same with all the other things like strawberries, watermelon....

yes you can giver her oat meal but not the adult kind give her the single grain.

ashtonsmom 05-15-2008 10:33 PM

sorry i ment she is not allowed oatmeal because of an allergy. but i have those mesh bag sucker things! loved them for ds and bought some tonight for dd!

uoducks 05-15-2008 11:18 PM

Your pediatrian should be able to give you a handout/brochure on introducing solids.. what , how much, etc. Mine did. It's called the Airplane, Choo-Choo, & other Games Parents Play- A feeding guide for the First Two Years

It has a timeline for what to feed when. I can scan it for you if you want and email it to you..just send me your email addy.
laura

ashtonsmom 05-15-2008 11:28 PM

gaff14@hotmail.com that would be great!! thanks mama!!

PrincipessaShelley 05-16-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uoducks (Post 3592194)
Your pediatrian should be able to give you a handout/brochure on introducing solids.. what , how much, etc. Mine did. It's called the Airplane, Choo-Choo, & other Games Parents Play- A feeding guide for the First Two Years

It has a timeline for what to feed when. I can scan it for you if you want and email it to you..just send me your email addy.
laura

So sorry to "cut in" on this thread, but I need a handout too. Could you also send me one, Mama? I would really appreciate it. DD is six months and this is my first child. Thanks so much! My email is rlchristie@cougars.ccis.edu.

ajane 05-16-2008 07:44 PM

Actually, solids should not be started until baby is ATLEAST 6 months of age. The baby's gut closes somewhere between the age of 4-6 months and since you don't know exactly when it is safest to wait until 6 months. Otherwise you greatly increase the risk of food allergies.

Also, baby should meet the following developmental milestones:

* sits UNsupported .....all by themselves
* has pincer grasp
* shows an interest in eating food rather than just
* grabbing at food as a toy.
* watches intently as you or another adult eats

BM of formula should be the MAIN source of nutrition the first year. Solids are for introduction and experimentation.

The baby should have no more than 1 "meal" a day until 9 or 10 months, then add in a second "meal" and a third "meal" shouldn't be added until after baby turns 1 year old. This helps make sure baby isn't getting too many solids. :)

Lyndzee 05-16-2008 08:36 PM

Here is a good website
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

katesmash 05-22-2008 06:52 PM

I have a good handout from Heinz on introducing foods. It shows what to start as beginner foods, what the strained (stage 2, 6 months) foods are, junior (8 months), and "toddler" foods (12 months +) are.
Besides food like that, I think it all depends on the baby. DD is 6 1/2 months old and has sucked on a pickle sliced lengthwise (stole from my plate at a restaurant), tried eating those baby rice rusk cookies, as well as finished all the beginner foods and is going to start on "stage 2" soon.