Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Need Advice-DD won't drink formula out of a cup (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425730)

Sunnyj 05-16-2008 04:51 AM

Need Advice-DD won't drink formula out of a cup

My DD is going to be one in a week. She refuses to drink formula or milk out of a cup. :banghead: She will drink water or diluted juice. When I put formula in the cup she takes one sip and pushes it away.:yuck: She doesn't really want a bottle anymore because she is too busy running around. Also, she does not hold her own bottle. I always hold her and rock her when she gets one. What should I do? Keep giving her a morning and night bottle, or try to switch to the cup? Please, ideas needed! do you know any tricks to getting her to drink from a cup?

Startastic 05-16-2008 08:27 AM

Re: Need Advice-DD won't drink formula out of a cup

maybe she wants the comfort she gets when you hold her and she gets the bottle. try giving her the cup while your holding and rocking her so you can transition her.

Sunnyj 05-16-2008 10:36 AM

Thanks for the advice Momma. I will try that tonight!

BabyNick#2 05-16-2008 03:27 PM

Sounds just like my ds. He is now going to be 16 months, and guess what? He still takes his formula from a bottle, and I dont care. He drinks everything else from a cup, and can even drink his brothers stuff out of a straw. He gets up in the morning, and the first thing he wants is his tummy full, which he chugs an 8 ounce bottle to do that. At night, he wants his bottle before he goes to bed, he drinks that in about 5 minutes (although he now holds his own bottle, but didnt do that until around 12 months). The rest of the day, I always have a sippy cup available with water. Is it really that horrible? No.
I did have one thought, maybe they cant really taste formula when they drink from a bottle, but in a cup they can, and may not like it?
Eh, there are worse things we could do than give our kids a bottle after 1 year.

Sunnyj 05-17-2008 09:09 AM

Thanks Momma. i feel the same way. i am feeling the family pressure to take it away! I give her a bottle at night and first thing in the morning. I will just keep doing that until she is ready!

Meri 05-17-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnyj (Post 3602038)
Thanks Momma. i feel the same way. i am feeling the family pressure to take it away! I give her a bottle at night and first thing in the morning. I will just keep doing that until she is ready!

I'm not understanding why people think you shouldn't give her a bottle anymore? I breastfeed, but plan to let my baby nurse until she's decided she's done (for my oldest that was 3.5 years). Now, I'm not saying your baby should be walking around with a bottle until she's 3 years old... but if the only way you can get her to take her more nutritious drink is a bottle--don't take it away from her!

uoducks 05-17-2008 11:18 PM

hi,
ya.. my daught. is not a big drinker from a cup except lately since the weather is hot now. My daught. doesn't do bottles because she went from the breast to a regular cup.
When she was younger and I was giving her the baby cereals, the only way I could get a significant amt. of formula into her was by adding it to her cereal.. but she's a bit too old now I think for me to continue buying baby cereal and yours may be too.
I have found, they will drink if they are thirsty. Luckily, I've had the breast to fall back on but the truth is you can't force them so I would say offer a cup of milk (cows milk can start at 1 year of age- whole milk, and i discovered you want to get the milk with 150-160 calories < 3.8%, 3.25%, and Homogonized vitamin D milk> at every meal time (at least 3 meals per day, and snack time) .
You can also give cheese (mozerella, cheddar), and whole milk yogurt (Nancy's brand plain honey) for added calcium and healthy too.
You could also mix in milk to oatmeal, or stews or other foods you make for her.
good luck!

Sunnyj 05-18-2008 01:19 PM

Thanks for the advice Mommas.