Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you make your own baby food? Convince me I can. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4258)

Lovinmy2boys 05-07-2006 08:58 PM

Do you make your own baby food? Convince me I can.

So...ds is 5 months and we decided to wait until at least 6 months for starting solids. At any rate, he was acting like a psycho at mealtimes (screaming in the highchair, opening his mouth, following our utensils, grabbing food), so I caved and made him a little rice cereal. He ate it and acted like he was having a religious experience. So we have been doing a serving of rice cereal every day, sometimes with a little mashed banana. I know we will have to expand eventually, but sometimes I am so darn tired, I don't know if I want to make baby food. The little jars all lined up are just so tempting. And between the CD'ing, working, and all the other stuff, do I have time to do it? No rush here, I am going to be doing the cereal thing until 6 months before branching out. Any good websites/books you can recommend? It just has to be QUICK and EASY!:laugh: Thanks!

ReagansMommy 05-07-2006 09:04 PM

Re: Do you make your own baby food? Convince me I can.

we didn't start solids until 7 months, but Reag just ate whatever we did - just mushed up. Until a year, solids aren't the staple of the diet - don't sweat it!

ocfb16 05-07-2006 09:37 PM

I make my daughter baby food. It is so easy. I am not a good cook by any means. I hardly cook for us...LOL. Baby food is so easy. So far I just do the basic things. Mainly you boil or steam (steaming is healthier leaves more vitamins) the fruit or vegetables then mash or puree them. That's it! For example I buy a few pears. Peel them and cut out the seeds. Steam them for a few mintues until they are soft. I put mine in a food processor, but I could easily mash them. I then add the water (or you can use breastmilk) I was using to steam them with and make it whatever consistency I like with the water. I make up a lot at a time. I pour them in old baby food jars and freeze them. Whenever she's ready to eat I just pull one out of the freezer and warm it up for her to eat. If I make one big batch it can last me up to a month. So it doesnt take up much time.

The food processor comes in handy when dealing with vegetables like green beans. This way you can get them really smooth.

Another option on freezing them is spooning the food into ice cube trays and freezing it. Then pop them out of the tray and throw them all in a freezer bag. When they get hungry just pop a cube out and thaw it out for them to eat. Once you try it you will never want to use canned food again!

Here is a great website. Some of their stuff is more advanced. So far I just use the plain fruit or vegetables.
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

HTH!:goodvibes:

andreusmommy 05-07-2006 09:39 PM

Oh my making your own baby food is like the easiest thing in the world. And it is really cheap as well. Sweet potatoes are easy to come by right now, and they are one of the first foods. All I have done so far is wrap them in aluminum foil place them in the oven for 45 minutes. I then take them out mush them up, add some water and strain. After that put them in ice cube trays, and freeze. Once frozen pop them into ziplock baggies, and there you are easy servings just thaw warm and feed. If you want to skip the mush/strain step get one of these http://store.babycenter.com/comments...cessories/8024

happy2bhome 05-08-2006 01:53 PM

Just wanted to ditto the ice cube trays suggestions - especially with summer coming. :thumbsup:

Ashleigh&Claytons_Mom 05-08-2006 01:59 PM

You can do it Momma! I also work but found making my own babyfood to be quite easy and enjoyable. I just baked, steamed or boiled fruits and veggies, pureed in my blender and froze in ice cube trays. Once frozen, I transferred the cubes from the trays to freezer bags and stored in our deep freezer. Very simple! I would usually do my babyfood cooking on the weekends - a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I also used the Wholesome Babyfood site posted above.

loulou belle 05-08-2006 09:04 PM

It's super easy. I have the Super Baby Food book by Ruth Yaron (wonderful) and The Healthy Baby Meal Planner by Annabel Karmel. i love making my own baby food. Prepare, put it in a ice cube tray, move it to a ziploc, and done!

I can't wait to make more.

cameransmommy 05-09-2006 07:21 AM

I made all of my daughters food using the ice cube trays to freeze it. After i got into a good routine with it and had a good selection of stuff in the freezer, i only had to make something new once or twice a week. We made and froze everything from peas to pumpkin and everything in between. It is easy to mix your own creations and give baby lots of new tastes this way.

I kept myself motivated by asking myself how i would feel if everything i ate came from a jar. I mean, just pop open a jar of babyfood and see if you want to eat it. Most of it doesn't taste anything like it should!

Eileen

4boys4me 05-09-2006 07:29 AM

I have to agree! It is sooo much easier than you think,lol.. Here is a site that helped me out.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com

wbkt8 05-09-2006 07:40 AM

yep - pretty much what everyone else said. i used the information on the website the others mentioned. to me one of the best things about making my own was that dd never ate much and the few times i bought a jar of babyfood it all just went to waste b/c she wasn't that interested.

i steamed sliced apples and then pureed them & froze them in ice cube trays. i did the same with sweet potatos. for bananas & avocados they can have those uncooked so i just mashed a couple small slices. i also skipped rice cereal b/c a few other ppl had told me they'd had terrible trouble with constipation from it (so i just skipped it). we did a little bit of oatmeal. i just pureed dry regular oatmeal until it was powdery and then i would make up a couple tbs at a time mixing it with bm or water and sometimes fruit and then microwaving it for 30 seconds or so.

good luck!
katie