Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   increase supply for pumping? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426195)

bryvaeh 05-16-2008 01:43 PM

increase supply for pumping?

I know this has probably been asked before and I am sorry - I just don't have time or energy to search right now. I am pumping for the twins. They are only a few days old but can't nurse yet so I am pumping every 2 hours and once at night to get my supply out. I am currently getting about 1-2 ounces per breast. Well since I have been in the NICU with the twins about every other day they keep running out of BM in between times. I don't have a huge problem with them feeding the twins preemie formula - it is better than starving the babies obviously...but Cannon is having problems digesting the formula. When he gets BM he has no problems with residuals after eating and when he gets formula he always has a lot - last feeding they only did it 1/2 strength formula because the residual was so bad. So of course I would rather he get just BM since he can actually digest that and then the sooner they eat all their food by nipple and digest it all without problem the sooner they can come home. So what can I do to increase my production so that I can leave enough over there and bring enough with me to last until I come back for both babies - Ryder is having no problems with digesting and I would like to keep it that way! Thanks for any input! :goodvibes:

iKim 05-16-2008 01:49 PM

Re: increase supply for pumping?

Hugs to you mama, your a trooper!!! My suggestion would be to also pump every 2-3 hours at night. I think once per night is not enough mama. Hang in there..

bryvaeh 05-16-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimbellishments (Post 3596725)
Hugs to you mama, your a trooper!!! My suggestion would be to also pump every 2-3 hours at night. I think once per night is not enough mama. Hang in there..

i thought about that too...guess it will be worth losing some extra sleep - i just want these boys home and the formula is just not working for little Cannon (which is okay since I want to EBF when they come home anyway!)

ForCryingOutLoud 05-16-2008 01:55 PM

Yeah just pumping more often! :hugs: Hope your boys come home soon!

bryvaeh 05-16-2008 02:05 PM

how long should i pump for each time? i haven't done this in awhile so i can't really remember...the lactation consultant said start out at 10 minutes but do i stay at 10 minutes or increase the length of time? thanks! :blush:

kezoo 05-16-2008 09:01 PM

Well, when I had to briefly pump when ds1 was 5 days old (cracked, bleeding nipples - eek!), I was told to pump every 3 hours around the clock, 15 minutes per session. So yeah, I think once per night is not enough.

Also, make sure you stay hydrated (lots of water!), eat oatmeal (helps boost your supply). You are doing great Alli!!!

SubliminalDarkness 05-16-2008 09:08 PM

Also, what kind of pump are you using?

ClothDiaperingMama 05-17-2008 04:19 PM

I am told to pump every 2/3 hours for 15 minutes. {I actually do 30 minutes most times. 20 minutes atleast}. My supply has definitely increased, but you do lose a lot of sleep if you follow that schedule. I pump twice at night now and more during the day. I need to stay on schedule during the day more too, but with going out, doctor's appointments, sleeping, etc.. it is kinda hard.
I am using a Medela Symphony Pump that we are renting from the hospital. The LC said they were the best for exclusively pumping or having preemies.

Good luck to you!:goodvibes:

Smidgerooski 05-17-2008 05:45 PM

Homemade oatmeal cookies. They're delish and good for more milk.

I throw in a bag of choc. chips too :thumbsup:

:hugs:

Cryssie 05-17-2008 10:53 PM

i'm in the same boat you are. The LCS I talked with at Childrens hosp that came in when itty was in the hosp was pumping at least 8 times a day.

I've been every 2 hours and then space at 4 hrs at night. I need sleep