Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Strange question maybe??? from an adopting bfer (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426626)

lyra1977 05-16-2008 10:23 PM

Strange question maybe??? from an adopting bfer

Hi! I'm trying to induce lactation and I have a pump on hand and domperidone on order. I have a couple of questions about my pump for those of you with experience. I have the Medela Lactina, purchased on ebay.

Question #1: when I pump with it (and I want to clarify that I am not yet producing any milk, and my baby has not yet arrived either) I notice that it seems to pull my nipples out of shape. OK, I don't know the correct terminology for the tip of the nipple where the milk comes out, but I would think that that part of my nipple should be being sucked in and out in the center of the pump cups and instead after a minute or so of pumping that tip of my nipple is rubbing up against the side of the cup and then after pumping my nipples look misshapen. Is this normal?!?! It's freaking me out. I do have Lanisoh that I use after every pumping and only rarely do I have any pain at all, when I dial up the pressure a bit too high. Any advice? :blush:

Question #2: How often do you think I need to be cleaning the pump since I'm not gathering milk with it yet?

Thanks for your wisdom, in advance! :goodvibes:

3boysmom 05-16-2008 10:25 PM

Re: Strange question maybe??? from an adopting bfer

My breast always looked mishaped after pumping, and because I am larger breasted, and have larger nipples, it always seemed to rub against the side of the breast shield part. For me, it's normal. lol Not sure about for everyone, though I expect it is!

No suggestions on the cleaning part.. but

GOOD FOR YOU MAMA!! :)

Primm_n_Proper_Baby 05-16-2008 10:46 PM

:hugs: I too have had the mishapen look after pumping, so I *think* that's normal :).

Good for you... if you want to be inducing buddies, PM me. I'm just finally getting started HARDCORE :). My baby is here and has been here 9 mos, but we were foster and couldn't get approval to BF. So here we are at 9 mos and I'm going all out!

I have my first appt with my Lactation Consultant on Monday!!

lyra1977 05-17-2008 10:06 AM

Thank you so much to both of you, I feel quite relieved! :hugs:

Apathy 05-17-2008 10:11 AM

using some olive oil on the pump horns to reduce friction (I know you said you're not sore but why risk it, yk?) and investing in larger horns should help. For now, when you notice your nipple rubbing, stop the pump and reposition it. That should help a little but if you're just too big, you're just too big.
Here's a link showing the flange sizes- you can shop around to find a better price than the amazon links, this is just one of the first sites I came across when I searched. http://www.breast-pumps.com/medela_p...ast_shield.htm

Yahoo groups has "pumpmoms" I think it is, and a lot of women are exclusively pumping on that list. They have tons of tips and even if you just join to read you can learn so much!
Heres the link http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ec=group&slk=1
:thumbsup:

I would probably clean the pump daily if you're not producing yet. But hopefully you'll be needing to clean it more soon ;)

Griffinsmom 05-17-2008 10:22 AM

My nipples look stretched from pumping and when ds unlatches breastfeeding too. It's a bit alarming at first! The good news is they seem to spring back to their normal shape-- if only the boob part did too :giggle:

lyra1977 05-17-2008 11:38 AM

Thank you thank you!! I just ordered the large size horns and it was even free shipping :yay:

MommyMilktm 05-17-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyra1977 (Post 3599855)
Hi! I'm trying to induce lactation and I have a pump on hand and domperidone on order. I have a couple of questions about my pump for those of you with experience. I have the Medela Lactina, purchased on ebay.

Question #1: when I pump with it (and I want to clarify that I am not yet producing any milk, and my baby has not yet arrived either) I notice that it seems to pull my nipples out of shape. OK, I don't know the correct terminology for the tip of the nipple where the milk comes out, but I would think that that part of my nipple should be being sucked in and out in the center of the pump cups and instead after a minute or so of pumping that tip of my nipple is rubbing up against the side of the cup and then after pumping my nipples look misshapen. Is this normal?!?! It's freaking me out. I do have Lanisoh that I use after every pumping and only rarely do I have any pain at all, when I dial up the pressure a bit too high. Any advice? :blush:

Question #2: How often do you think I need to be cleaning the pump since I'm not gathering milk with it yet?

Thanks for your wisdom, in advance! :goodvibes:

Hi,

I wanted to say good for you Momma!!

And for the cleaning part...get a large zip-lock bag and store your horns and bottles in the bag in the refrigerator and do one throrogh cleaning once a day, this goes for when you are making milk too! The refrigerator works to keep the germs/bacteria at bay. It's good if you have to pump a lot, like when you are trying to induce. You might want to run the horns under a little warm water before you pump with them otherwise:ahh:!

HTH

La Mere D'Anna 05-17-2008 03:01 PM

I never really pumped, but I wanted to congratulate you on your new baby who is coming soon! How exciting! I'm happy to hear that you are going to breastfeed! You will be able to experience probably one of the most rewarding things in motherhood! I cherish my breastfeeding experience. My childbirth was very rough, but I always say that breastfeeding was the light at the end of the tunnel, the blessing from God that made it all worth while! I'm so happy for you!!!

mamoo3 05-17-2008 07:03 PM

No advice, just wanted to say it's great that you are planning to bf your new lo! You rock!!!