Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   recipe for Veggie Soup? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42710)

alisonsage 09-18-2006 01:15 PM

recipe for Veggie Soup?

Does anyone have a yummy recipe for a tomato base veggie soup? Stove top is good- but slow cooker would be great! TIA!!

Mommyk8 09-27-2006 07:41 AM

Re: recipe for Veggie Soup?

About 1lb stew meat. I cut it up so it is bite size. Brown the meat.
Take 1 large bag of frozen mixed vegetables and about half head of small to medium cabbage cut into bite size pieces add to pot.
Add 1-2 cans of beef or vegetable broth and one can diced tomatoes.
Add spices. Garlic powder and salt and pepper. And a good squeeze of ketchup. Let it cook until cabbage is tender. You may need to add some water to it so there is enough broth towards the end.

This is my Grandma's recipe so there really isn't any measurements. It is my favorite veggie soup.
I think you could probably just throw everything in the crock pot and set it on low for a few hours.

clane 09-27-2006 10:43 AM

I just go thru the crisper and pull out whatever needs to be used up, chop it, add stew meat, chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes, veggie/meat broth, and let it cook. Barley is good to add to round out the meal, but make sure you have lots of liquid for it to soak up.

Onions, peppers, grean beans, potatoes, corn...havent tried tossing in any eggplant, yet.

jelynn 09-28-2006 07:30 PM

I like to make a big pot of veggie soup on the weekend and eat it for lunch all week.

Basically I start with garlic, onion, celery and sautee in a tiny bit of oil. Then add my chicken or veggie stock. Then add sliced carrots, zucchini, a pureed can of diced or crushed tomatoes, sometimes potatoes, green beans, shredded cabbage and spinach. Then I always add a tsp each of basil and sometimes oregano or parsley. Oh and I like to add about a half cup of red lentils also-- just for some protein and fiber. :) Yum!

Mom2Natalya 09-28-2006 10:55 PM

Here's my fave:

Fresh-Vegetable Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
2 cups (2-inch) cut green beans (about 1/2 pound)
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
1 cup thinly sliced carrot
1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
4 (14 1/4-ounce) cans fat-free vegetable broth (or beef or chicken)
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
4 cups chopped seeded tomato
2/3 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (about 3 ounces)
1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 cups shredded green cabbage
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in celery and next 9 ingredients (celery through kidney beans). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add tomato, macaroni, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until pasta is done. Add cabbage, salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until cabbage wilts. Serve with cheese.
Note: Refrigerate any remaining soup in an airtight container for up to one week, or freeze for up to 3 months.