Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help - The room is stinky (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4276)

cskeeters 05-07-2006 09:42 PM

Help - The room is stinky

I am new to CD as my firstborn is 10 weeks old. I do diaper laundry every two days and keep the dirties in a diaper champ. It seems though that there is always an odor in her room.

So, I am curious, what are methods of dirty diaper storage that work to eliminate the smell? What type of diaper pails, liners, deoderizers, etc. Give me the dirt.

havanadaydreamin 05-08-2006 04:08 AM

Re: Help - The room is stinky

They have deo disks that you can buy to put in the diaper champ.

I use a regular garbage can with a Mother of Eden wetbag that has a little terry strip that you can put essential oils on. I put a few drops of tea tree oil on it, and it seems to keep the stink away. You could always take a wipe or wash rag and put tea tree oil on it and put it in the diaper champ.

HTH

gr33nie 05-08-2006 07:09 AM

I have heard that the more airtight a diaper pail is the stinkier it is. I use a garbage can (round plastic type) with a SNAP-EZ diaper pail liner in it and don't put the top on. He is still almost EBF but it doesn't stink at all and I think it's because it's allowed to air out.

Carrie 05-08-2006 07:15 AM

I have tried different things but the only thing that works for me is washing daily. I'm going to try one of those Snap-ez liners, though.

jls~Kain~Drake 05-08-2006 07:17 AM

I don't have any suggestions, but thought I'd add that I do roughly the same thing as the pp and we don't have any odors at all...and ds2 has some exceptionally stinky poo. Like I said, I do ROUGHLY the same thing...meaning, I also have an open container...but it's actually just a smallish/shallow laundry basket...I don' thave a liner or anything...i just wipe it out with a wet washcloth when i take dipes out. If necessary, I'll wipe it out with a cleaning agent.

gr33nie 05-08-2006 07:20 AM

just to clarify

I do really love my SNAP-EZ pail liner but it does not help keep the stink away, it is just convinent for taking my dipes to the wash. I think it's the fact that I keep the diaper pail open to the air that helps keep the stinks away.

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 05-08-2006 08:04 AM

I use this stainless steel trash can from Target online. Its a little spendy, but some ladies on a small CD board I'm on claimed to love it. It has a 22 liter lift out pail i nside, soyou just carry the pail to the washer. I like it and since its metal, no stink.

hlahickman 05-08-2006 08:07 AM

I agree with the champ probably being too air tight. I have a "cheapy" diaper pail and as long as we put the lid down, but don't close it tight, there is no smell coming from the pail

cskeeters 05-08-2006 08:10 AM

Thanks for all your input. Maybe we will switch to something less airtight and use the champ for the occasional sposie and wipes