Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Healthy Living and Weightloss (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How much walking to lose weight??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427612)

*Alabamamom* 05-18-2008 07:59 AM

How much walking to lose weight???

I started out 2-3 times a week walking at least a mile each time a few weekss ago.. now I'm up to 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 miles at least every other day.. Now I'm going up to every day 1 1/2 mile.. It really doesn't seem to be doing much for me though! I've lost 4 lbs since last Monday, but this is because I've also had to diet too. I know I could have lost this amount, from diet alone.. It just is frustrating that I've added in all this walking and it doesn't seem to be helping the weight loss any quicker. Any tips? Should I go up to 2 miles every day? :headscratch:

SandiCarr 05-18-2008 08:08 AM

Re: How much walking to lose weight???

Well, a "healthy" weight loss rate is no more than 2 pounds per week. If you've lost 4 pounds in two weeks you're right on track!

*Alabamamom* 05-18-2008 08:19 AM

Well I just found out my sil and her family are coming to visit us sooner than expected.. she's going to be here June 15th, instead of July and I really wanted to be 25lbs lighter before she got here (I need to lose 55 though to be back to a healthy weight range) and maybe even get a little tone.. I have 21lbs to go, and I don't think it's going to fall off in just a month! :cry: Back after I had my 3rd child I lost 40lbs in one month when I got serious and dieted and exercised.. It's not so easy any more!

Gracielou 05-19-2008 09:55 PM

Try adding some weights when you walk. I've been stuck at my current weight for awhile with just walking 3 miles every other day. I've started using weights and the weight seems to be coming off again.

*Alabamamom* 05-19-2008 10:18 PM

Hey, great idea! Will do! :thumbsup:

pinkflamingos77 05-20-2008 06:25 AM

Be careful with weights. They can cause injuries when walking. I advise against ankle weights or anything like that. Small hand held weights to use while walking are fine. I am a avid walker. I walk one hour or more everyday. Depending on what is going on in my life. I do not go by miles. I go by time. Eating in moderation,walking everyday, 20lbs lost in 3 months. Walking is great cardio and it does help you lose weight but it is not going to happen real quick. You need to give yourself time to lose the weight. The faster weight comes off...the more likely it will come back. Sounds to me like you are on the right track with your weight loss. You need to find a eating plan that will work for a lifetime... not just for now. Don't think of it has a diet. Think of it as a lifestyle change. Keep up the walking and eat right. You will definitely see progress. Good luck!

:thumbsup:

jls~Kain~Drake 05-20-2008 11:21 AM

The key is to get your heartrate up and keep it up. I lost ~50 lbs by working out @ home to a video and walking. I lost it all in 2 months (not trying to, it just happened) and I've kept it off for going on 2 yrs.

kendall's mommy 05-20-2008 01:30 PM

I walk 1.5 miles in 30 minutes 5 days a week and at first it seemed to be working. (I've lost 16 lbs. since March 15th). I also changed my diet though. Over the last 4 weeks I have actually gained a lb. Could it be that I have hit a plateau from doing the same thing and eating the same things day after day?

pinkflamingos77 05-20-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendall's mommy (Post 3628372)
I walk 1.5 miles in 30 minutes 5 days a week and at first it seemed to be working. (I've lost 16 lbs. since March 15th). I also changed my diet though. Over the last 4 weeks I have actually gained a lb. Could it be that I have hit a plateau from doing the same thing and eating the same things day after day?

If I was you.. I would up the walking. As you lose weight and get further along. You need to increase the time/miles you walk. Going up or down a lb is not unusual or anything to be worrying about. It is not the number on the scale. It is the inches you lose off your body that matter.