Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   When did you start solids? Why? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427626)

Smidgerooski 05-18-2008 08:24 AM

When did you start solids? Why?

Howdy,
I'm kinda struggling w/ the whole solid foods thing right now. I've got most of my family and plenty of strangers asking me why I'm not getting her on solids yet. My daughter will be 6 months on May 25th. I don't see the need in it...she's about 19lbs. But on the other hand she is watching me eat my food and giving me this 'look'.

We've had no problems bfing. When I do start solids I'm going make everything at home.

I guess I just need some advice from those who have dealt w/ this before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to start feeding her solids just b/c ppl are saying things, I would just like some advice

Thanks! :thumbsup:

dpelephant 05-18-2008 09:51 AM

Re: When did you start solids? Why?

I am struggling with this too. My DD will be 6m on the 29th. I also get "the look" while I am eating. She has also been sitting unassisted for over a week, and those teeth are ready to pop any day now (I hope because our nights have been terrible due to teething!) With all those things I think she is ready to give it a go, but I think I am not ready to be done with the EBF stage - it is just gone to quickly!

Kestlyn 05-18-2008 09:54 AM

6 months -rice cereal
9 months started pureed baby foods becasue LO was reaching for EVERYONE's food. She wanted it so badly!:giggle:
We delayed because I have some food allergies. I think a lot of Moms start at least cereal around 3 months.

Calideedle 05-18-2008 10:05 AM

Neither of mine had anything until they were a year old.

I would at least wait a few months more, she is still SO young!

And when you do I would stay away from Rice Cereal, there is no need for it, and do mashed up avacados/bananas/etc.

KaleidoscopeEyes 05-18-2008 10:11 AM

Like at 5 months I would give tastes of my food because he was a good size and was definitely interested. He really didn't start eating meals until he was a year old but about 8 months or so he would eat little snacks. I'm not into spoon feeding babies, I say when they can pick up things themselves and put in their mouth then they are ready.

paigemikey2003 05-18-2008 10:12 AM

My dd was 6mths on the 11th. We've given her mashed banana and mashed avocado a few times. She isn't too into it yet, so its not even a daily thing. I'm not going to offer anything by spoon again for several days b/c she doesn't seem to get it. DH gave her banana in a mesh feeder this morning and she loved it, seems to satisfy the teething monster. Starting solids is a big step and you don't need to start before you thing its the right time.

flyingpiglet 05-18-2008 12:07 PM

I guess I am out of the norm here....we started DS on rice cereal at 4 months as it was advised by our pedi. He was always reaching for our food and smacking his lips/opening his mouth when we ate. After rice cereal I went to making him baby food with organic produce. Avocadoes, bananas, sweet potatoes and peas. He was ready so I wasnt' hesistant at the doctor's recommendation. I say go with what you feel comfortable with and what you think your LO is ready for.

Griffinsmom 05-18-2008 12:31 PM

We started around 6 months but it was more play / recreation and a social thing than a major source of nutrition. Ds was really interested and was sitting with us at the table at family meal times, so it just felt like the right time. Refusing him solids while we were all eating and he was staring and reaching for our feed seemed like with witholding food from him. He started with a wee bit of rice cereal or some mashed banana etc. He liked it but didn't really consume much. Some days he didn't want any, some days he was very interested which was just fine by me.

My ped is biased towards starting cereal by six months because the need for iron jumps up quite a bit at that age and cereal is iron fortified for that reason. Iron deficiency anemia does occur in North america more commonly than you might think and can cause learning and developmental problems. That's something that you can't tell just by looking at a child- they can be chubby and happy and still anemic, so that was a consideration for me. That and the fact that the guidelines say 6 months.

ProudHooahWife 05-18-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calideedle (Post 3608910)
Neither of mine had anything until they were a year old.

I would at least wait a few months more, she is still SO young!

And when you do I would stay away from Rice Cereal, there is no need for it, and do mashed up avacados/bananas/etc.

I totally agree with this!!!

Mine didn't get solids till 10 months old and my youngest is still breastfeeding:)

Smidgerooski 05-18-2008 12:40 PM

What's the problem w/ rice cereal?