Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I guess daycare wasn't the right choice for us. :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427723)

*Alabamamom* 05-18-2008 12:02 PM

I guess daycare wasn't the right choice for us. :(

Andrew has picked up his very first cold and I KNOW it's because he was in daycare. I noticed on Thursday night his nose was congested... When I took him to daycare Friday morning, I noticed another child hacking and coughing and I immediately asked the caregiver what is their policy on sick children entering daycare.. She said that child has 'allergies'.. all of them have snotty noses right now due to the high pollen count. Ok so Friday night he still has a stuffy nose and begins coughing in the night.. yesterday morning he wakes up with a fever and hacking and coughing.. yeah, right, allergies! I don't think so! Grrr! This is the one bad thing about daycare centers, your kids will bring home anything and everything!
Now I feel bad for even taking him. It was never a 'have to' thing.. he is just so bored here and loves to play with other kids. I really felt a couple hours a day twice a week would really be beneficial, but this sucks that he's sick!
Besides, I'm a little annoyed at how this center is set up.. The girls that are working there can't be more than 18-19 yrs old and you can totally pick up that they are there strictly for a paycheck. They don't enjoy what they are doing and it shows. To them it's just a job. I heard one comment to the other about one child that was 'whining again' and they both rolled their eyes. I really want Andrew somewhere that they take pride in what they do. With people that enjoy working with children. I'm not saying that kids that are 18-19 yo aren't 'capable' of doing this, heck a 50 yo may not be capable of doing this.. but, I do feel the maturity level of most young adults isn't what I'd like to be watching over my toddler. I tend to like more mature individuals with some experience in this field...Tomorrow I will be seeing what I can find other than daycare centers.. maybe they have mothers day out here local somewhere, or maybe a weekly meeting day for toddlers/preschoolers. Ok.. whine over.. thanks to whoever makes it this far reading. :blush:

Prettylocks 05-18-2008 12:08 PM

Re: I guess daycare wasn't the right choice for us. :(

Pull him out and find some nice parks to take him to.

Griffinsmom 05-18-2008 12:10 PM

I know it sucks, but getting all those colds in the early years is actually GOOD for kids. A recent study show that kids who go to daycare or are exposed to frequent colds (lo'swhose older siblings are in preschool etc) have a dramatically reduced incidence of childhood leukemia.
Being exposed to germs and viruses is actually important in the development of the immune system-- maybe that's why babies crawl around on the floor putting everything in their mouthes? Mothernature's way I guess:goodvibes:

Not saying he should go or not and those people sound nasty, just that getting colds/viruses has a goo dpurpose too.

Katherine 05-18-2008 12:29 PM

Any child that goes from staying home to being around other kids a lot will get sick a lot in the begining. It can happen now, or it can happen when he starts school. As for letting sick kids in, if they kept every kid out with a runny nose, kids wouldn't be there more than half the time. My sitter doesn't allow kids with temperatures or who are vomiting, but just a runny nose or a cough - if she kept my dd out every time she had a little cold, I'd be home from work more than I'd be at work. Kids have to build up immune systems at some point, kwim? When I started teaching I was sick *every* week almost - I caught every little bug. Now I have an incredibly strong immune system.

It doesn't sound like that great of a center, though, from your description of the caregivers. It might be better to enroll him in a real preschool program a few mornings a week rather than an actual daycare. That way he's around teachers, not teenagers, and building skills for school, and will still get the stimulation he needs and interaction with others.

amandaev 05-18-2008 12:35 PM

Does that also mean that anything other than Homeschoolin isn't the right choice for you either. Get ready for whne they start going to school. It's gonna be okay. I used to work at a daycare. You build up immunities to all kinds of stuff when you are exposed to them. I know its not pleasant, but just feed him nutritiants he needs and come what may he should stay healthy.

*Alabamamom* 05-18-2008 12:45 PM

Well, and I'll tell you all something else.. Friday morning I asked them where the bathroom was to take him potty because the last couple times they took him straight outside and it was too long of a time period and he peed his pants. So I figured I'd take him pee before I left to hopefully avoid an accident. They directed me to a bathroom, I go in and there's no potty.. I ask where's the potty.. Well, oh, that's a different bathroom and I take him back there and the toliet was NAAASTY!!!!! Granted I used the logic that maybe they clean once a week? Maybe on the weekend for upcoming week and that was Friday so I guess that's why it was nasty. They had one potty ring, I guess they all share.. I couldn't do it.. I could not make my baby sit on that toliet on that potty ring not knowing when it's been cleaned last! I put a diaper on him and told them to not worry with PLing him that day! I still feel sick about it! :yuck: The ONLY positive thing about this, is the fact that Andrew was delighted to play with kids! I guess I will have to look into more of a learning situation, rather than a babysitter thing. Live and learn, live and learn right?!

*Alabamamom* 05-18-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandaev (Post 3609432)
Does that also mean that anything other than Homeschoolin isn't the right choice for you either. Get ready for whne they start going to school. It's gonna be okay. I used to work at a daycare. You build up immunities to all kinds of stuff when you are exposed to them. I know its not pleasant, but just feed him nutritiants he needs and come what may he should stay healthy.

:giggle: I do homeschool...

*Alabamamom* 05-18-2008 12:48 PM

Did I mention I am somewhat of a germ-a-phobe? :giggle:

daisy0306 05-18-2008 12:49 PM

eeew, take him out! colds are one thing, bad caretackers and dirty facilities are another. Find a nice dayhome or join a playgroup:goodvibes:

doberbrat 05-18-2008 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=*Alabamamom*;3609485]Well, oh, that's a different bathroom and I take him back there and the toliet was NAAASTY!!!!! Granted I used the logic that maybe they clean once a week? QUOTE]

:yuck: oh no mamma PULL HIM!!!

They should be bleaching between EACH CHILD NOT ONCE A WEEK!!!

Its a state reg here