Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pumping to Increase supply: some questions... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42978)

jenni 09-19-2006 06:36 AM

Pumping to Increase supply: some questions...

So I've been dealing with really low supply; I didn't realize that was the problem (thought it was just bottle preference) until DS was totally fed up. I am NOT ready to give up breastfeeding (he's only 3 1/2 months).

Right now I'm either pumping until letdown, then letting him nurse, then supplementing with an eye dropper while he finishes nursing, or using a supplemental nursing system to keep him going until my milk lets down, pinching it off, and using it again while he finishes. (If milk is not coming out when he's hungry, he becomes hysterical and refuses to nurse, rather than sucking until it lets down).

Here's my problem-- the LC consultant told me to have him nurse whenever possible, and if that won't work to pump after every meal. DS has never been and still is not willing to nurse if he isn't hungry so I've been pumping. The problem is that the pump seems to totally drain me, and I haven't bounced back by the time he's hungry again.

My milk is definitely coming back-- it was taking 10-15 minutes to letdown (no wonder he got frustrated) and now it's down to 3-5, and yesterday I pumped 3 more oz than I supplemented with, but I had to supplement 1.5oz at one feeding because I just had nothing to give him.

I've been pumping 15-20 minutes after he nurses, every time I can stand it. (the pump makes my nipples pretty sore so I've skipped a couple of times when I was just too beat up, but I've been pretty good about it). Is there a better way for me to doing this?

apelilae 09-19-2006 09:59 AM

Re: Pumping to Increase supply: some questions...

Have you tried pumping while nursing? My DS only nurses on one side during a feeding, so while he's nursing on one I pump the other. It's helped a lot.

movaly1 09-19-2006 10:05 AM

Are you taking fenugreek or any of the nursing mom teas? That helps me more than pumping.

Can you start pumping a few minutes before you feed him to make the letdown happen before he starts nursing?

tillers72 09-20-2006 02:56 AM

i would definately take a supplement to help the milk come in...i've heard domperidone is very helpful too. And drink LOTS of water....like as much as you can without floating away!!! Good luck, and just keep at it. If your ds is on a schedule with eating...say about every 2 hours, I would feed, in an hour pump, and then feed again. that way it's more spread out, and the more demand you put on them, the more they produce! :hugs:

apelilae 09-20-2006 01:21 PM

You can also try More Milk Plus http://www.motherlove.com/product_more_milk_plus.php

jenncatsmeow 09-20-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apelilae
Have you tried pumping while nursing? My DS only nurses on one side during a feeding, so while he's nursing on one I pump the other. It's helped a lot.

:thumbsup: This is what I was going to suggest.

Also, drink a lot of fluids, get your extra calories, eat some oatmeal (not sure why this works, but it does).

And, be sure when you're pumping and feeding, to get as much of the outer areola into the pump horn/mouth to alieviate nipple soreness. Use lanoliln cream and/or massage a bit of milk on the nipple and air drying also helps. Stimilutate your let down as often as possible and it will come up. It works on supply and demand...

HTH
Jenn

kht2006 09-20-2006 03:52 PM

Pump on the opposite side while nursing. Speeds up letdown for me. My milk supply is up. My body thinks its feeding twins I guess. HTH

Kimmomy2dom 09-20-2006 03:59 PM

I agree on pumping the other side. When my twins feed tandem my let down is faster and they get full a lot faster than nursing on one side on their own, KWIM? You might still want to try pumping other than when he's feeding, though, as you'll have to empty each boob just as often to keep that supply at full force - unless you want to pump indefinitely. Did that make sense? It will up your supply, but unless your pumping every time or nursing both breasts at once, the supply will go down when you stop.