Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Clogged milk duct for an exclusive pumper... *UPDATE* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430806)

IHaveSpirit 05-21-2008 08:46 AM

Clogged milk duct for an exclusive pumper... *UPDATE*

HELP! Please :)

I believe I have a clogged duct and I exclusively pump. What are some things I can do to try and get it flowing again? It is in my right breast, on the inside towards the bottom. I can feel how hard it is.

I have tried warm/hot soaking and tons and tons of pumping (I was up almost all last night). I had another clogged duct in the other breast last night too, but it resolved this morning during one of the pumping sessions.

What can I do? I am in so much pain I don't know how to function....

UPDATE - It is still clogged and seriously affecting my milk supply... any other suggestions??

connorsmama 05-21-2008 08:48 AM

Re: Clogged milk duct for an exclusive pumper...

massage the crqap out of your boob!!!!! especially right where it is clogged. then hot compress, then massage, then hot compress.. and pump pump pump.
Also, I would stand in the shower and let hot water run down my chest. that seemed to help also!

ChunkiBunz Diaperz 05-21-2008 08:49 AM

i used a hot shower and massage. also try those microwavable rice bags! i wrapped that bag around my breast and it felt sooo good! it really helped!

ForCryingOutLoud 05-21-2008 08:53 AM

With my first I constantly had clogged ducts because I had to pump at school. After college, I went back to ebfing and I never had clogged duct again. I even got infections. It was terrible :cry:
Massage, hot showers and heating pads helped out a lot! :hugs:

IHaveSpirit 05-21-2008 08:56 AM

ok - I will continue with the hot packs and massage.... any tips for pain management? It hurts when I just touch the area.... Now when I massage it do I apply a lot of pressure?

momofrowdyboys 05-21-2008 09:00 AM

Start massaging in a direction toward your nipple. Make sure to start massaging at the closest part that is clogged near your nipple as you feel it loosen up go higher up to release the milk. You can do this while you are pumping. It will most likely take a few times. Good Luck!

momofrowdyboys 05-21-2008 09:01 AM

Yes press hard as you can stand it.

Happy 05-21-2008 05:30 PM

This was a huge problem for me when I was only pumping. The best advice I got was from our pediatrician.

Get a bowl of the hottest water you can tolerate. (Don't fill it too full, though, or it will overflow.) Lean over it and hang your breast in the bowl for a few minutes. Massage the clog and squeeze your nipple. If you don't see the clog at the nipple yet, do it again. You may need to reheat the water. The longest I had to do it was 30 minutes. This was the only thing that worked for me.

Hope you find relief soon!

mommyofnoah 05-22-2008 11:05 AM

Re: Clogged milk duct for an exclusive pumper... *UPDATE*

nak...i take a couple of motrin for pain. I just got my first ones and im pretty sure its from the way i was sleeping, on my side. took me a few days to clear up. hth

ChunkiBunz Diaperz 05-26-2008 08:35 AM

Re: Clogged milk duct for an exclusive pumper... *UPDATE*

how long has it been clogged now? i know my one side was clogged for almost a week! once its unclogged your milk will come back. i would get some really hot hot water and soak in it. i know i said that before but i dont know what else to suggest