Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What does nursing look like.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433688)

newphillymomma 05-23-2008 08:19 PM

What does nursing look like....

...for you and your LO at one year? :goodvibes:

We have days where we nurse more, days where we nurse less, its a mix. I want to make it more structured so I make sure I am feeding her the proper nutrition for meals that are mostly solids.

joy7s 05-23-2008 08:28 PM

Re: What does nursing look like....

hmm that's hard I guess b/c i've never had "structured times" ? or a schedule... my dd nurses more some days and less others..

MandyLee 05-23-2008 08:52 PM

My DD turned one last Sunday. She usually still nurses every 3-4 hours, but she can/will go longer if we're out and about and she's busy doing other things. I offer her three healthy, balanced meals a day, and maybe a couple little snacks in between. She's not a great eater, but I continue to offer.

kidpsych2be 05-23-2008 09:14 PM

All over the board. It use to be structured when I was working, but now that I'm home with her she just nurses whenever.

And even funnier...she just comes right up to me, pulls my shirt down, peeks down, grunts and signs "more." And then she screams if I don't immediately undo my bra and nurse her. No, really...screams. Loud.

So she'll just sit on my lap and nurse for like, 45 seconds and then it's off to play more.

But definitely no structure except 6am when she wakes up, she gets in bed with us and nurses for a while and then before bed. Anytime in between is fair game. Sometimes she's about 4 times a day, sometimes 12. Seriously.

sdavis514 05-23-2008 09:43 PM

Up until about 2 months ago, DS still wanted to BF every two hours. Since then, it has gradually decreased. He turned 1 last Monday and now it varies everyday. The only ones that remain consistant are the first one in the morning and the last one before bed. There are many days that he goes the whole day without! Some days, especially if sick, nursing, hasn't slept or in a strange place, he will want to nurse more( up to 8 times in a 24 hours period) but I usually just BF when he ask but do not offer. I give him 3 well balanced meals a day, along with 2 snacks and a sippy cup. I figure that at least twice a day ( and usually once at night) still means that he is getting around 12 ounces of BM a day. I see that as complementing his solids diet to make up for vitamins and things he may not have gotten from the food.

harvestsmommy 05-24-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MandyLee (Post 3664128)
My DD turned one last Sunday. She usually still nurses every 3-4 hours, but she can/will go longer if we're out and about and she's busy doing other things. I offer her three healthy, balanced meals a day, and maybe a couple little snacks in between. She's not a great eater, but I continue to offer.

Me too! Mine will eat really well some days and nurse a lot the next. I am not really structured for anytime but naptime and bed time. I have let all my kids self ween, and I am not planning on doing anything different this time even though I am pg again.:2cents: :2cents:

Connors_Mama 05-24-2008 07:58 PM

DS nurses 2 times a day (right when he wakes up and at night before bed) at 13 months, sometimes more if he is sick or something. But lately he's been refusing to nurse at night.

LClaire 05-24-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidpsych2be (Post 3664344)

And even funnier...she just comes right up to me, pulls my shirt down, peeks down, grunts and signs "more." And then she screams if I don't immediately undo my bra and nurse her. No, really...screams. Loud.

:yeahthat: :giggle2:
I so feel your pain mama:hugs: Well, not "pain"(except with those new little teeth:giggle: ), but we SO get that pulling/screaming if it doesn't happen in 2.2 seconds now!!

debmom2boyz 05-25-2008 10:30 AM

We have no schedule!

I work full time, so he usually nurses when I get home. He usually nurses for 2 min-10min, depending on his mood.

He nurses at night and throughout the night...

Weekends..are different, I'm here and available for him. He loves his mama milk!

He's 17 months and just today while nursing him at nap time, I am thought about how wonderful this still is and I wonder how long we will continue.

sheri77 05-25-2008 11:37 AM

I remember having the same issue with ds and spoke to my beloved pediatrician-he gave me some good advice...Look at their eating over the span of a week or so, instead of daily, because there will be good and bad eating days-it should average out well. (just like adults-we don't eat the same amounts everyday, right?)
As long as your offering healthy food and nursing her when she wants, you really can't go wrong, she'll eat when she's hungry which is more healthy then eating because the clock says she should. HTH