Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Are there any hypoallergenic formulas that don't have DHA/ARA? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434543)

the8dunlaps 05-24-2008 10:11 PM

Are there any hypoallergenic formulas that don't have DHA/ARA?

Ds is on allimentum but with all the concern about dha/ara I'd really like to switch to a non one... I know regular good start has it without.. and I'm going to try that... but I think he really has a protein milk/soy intolerance.. so I'm wondering if there's one that helps that but doesn't have the dha/ara. Thanks!:goodvibes:

kisskiss632 05-25-2008 12:19 AM

Re: Are there any hypoallergenic formulas that don't have DHA/ARA?

eeekkk??? i dont know of one. i would like to find one as well. i switched DS to the goodstart, but it is milk based, and he was one lactose free, and i dont think it is agreeing with him. im gonna give it a few more days to see if his tummy just needed to work out the change, but i dont know what to do if his tummy just doesnt like it... its sad that we dont have more options!

the8dunlaps 05-25-2008 01:54 AM

found out alimentum ready to feed doesn't have dra/ara YAY!!!!:goodvibes:

mom23girls 05-25-2008 12:37 PM

What's the issue with the DHA? I thought it was suppose to help brain growth and make it more like Breastmilk?

Just haven't heard that one?

the8dunlaps 05-25-2008 03:42 PM

I couldn't find any alimentum without today when shopping. We are going to try neocate, Hoping he does better with it.

dha/ara stuff I'll link you to a thread about it... but there's stuff if you google too. bak onehanded:thumbsup:

ThatLinGirl 05-25-2008 06:49 PM

It might be the alimentium ready to feed that is without? I know it is the only one w/o corn, as well, which some kids are reactive to.

the8dunlaps 05-25-2008 06:52 PM

Most of the ready to feed is WITH DHA/ARA now too, I went to toysrus, target, and walmart.. all had RTF alimentum WITH it... I know it was and may still be made without since the formula can top says "studies tested on rtf without dha/ara". Doh.
We're going to try the neocate... it does have corn syrup and ds takes corn syrup for constipation...
What symptoms would he have if the corn was bothering him? I'm actually (and my grandma) allergic to corn, I get itchy and hives/welts.

ThatLinGirl 05-25-2008 06:58 PM

IIRC, the neocate corn is broken up? Is it not?

FWIW, specific allergies aren't inherited -- you may happen to have the same allergy as your grandma, but that would be because corn is a common allergen. What is inherited is tendency to be allergic, as you have found out, unfortunately, as have I!

It depends on if it would be an intolerance or a traditional allergy. Traditional allergy could be vomiting, rash, hives, etc, intolerance could be green mucosy poop, more GI stuff. I wouldn't point at corn for reflux, though, that would be more likely to be dairy/soy, as you said :)

Oh, and since you mention the MPSI, I'm guessing he's not tolerating the standard over the counter stuff and that's why you're moving on, but I definitely wouldn't go to Neocate for the DHA/AHA bit alone. I don't know if you're using a sample can or have been fully informed of the horrific cost, but it can max out over $900 a month. We narrowly avoided it and were very fortunate, as it can be very difficult to fight that battle w/ insurance and they often won't cover it without a scope/biopsy/etc that shows need.

the8dunlaps 05-25-2008 07:20 PM

Hey mama. THANK YOU for the info. Yes he has MSPI.. he was helped a lot with the alimentum, but he's still really really in pain a lot... digestively. He also has silent reflux. I had heard about the dha/ara stuff and wanted to make sure something without wouldn't help his digestive issues more.. but 1 bottle of regular good start and omg he was screaming and vomited.
I KNEW he had the MSPI already, I just wanted to make sure that the dha/ara wasn't it too.
We've tried 3 kinds of good start, enfamil AR, enfamil nutramigen, similac alimentum powder (which has helped a lot but not enough, and it's getting worse again)...
The neocate we bought 1 can of to try, if it works we will get a script from our ped for wic... the pharmacist which I talked to today and bought it from said wic does cover it here.
I'm hopefully it will help.
That's good to know about a specific allergy not being genetic. I didn't realize that.. I just know I have an uncle and my grandma who are both allergic to TONS of foods, severely to milk both of them.
My mom and I both tend to have the hives/itching etc. but I can only pinpoint mine to corn and dove sensitive soap.
3 of my other kids were milk senstive and I had complete no dairy diet (bf only).
Baby crying.... thanks:hugs:

ThatLinGirl 05-25-2008 07:29 PM

Ok, good. If he needs it, of course he needs it, just wanted to make sure you were fully informed. I'm glad WIC will cover it if he needs it. :goodvibes: