Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Advice Needed for SCREAMING 1 year old! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436004)

ttachuk 05-26-2008 08:18 PM

Advice Needed for SCREAMING 1 year old!

My son is just over a year old and has discovered a new trick to gain attention- screaming and I mean SCREAMING like a banshee. I have never heard something so ear piercing. Any advice on how to curb this...other than ignoring because that hasn't worked.

Thanks

tallanvor 05-26-2008 11:42 PM

Re: Advice Needed for SCREAMING 1 year old!

I would try finding something safe to ingest that tastes bad -- vinegar, perhaps -- and put a little bit in his mouth when he does it. Might take a few times, but pretty soon he'll figure out that screaming gets a nasty taste put in his mouth.

doberbrat 05-27-2008 07:30 AM

is your house childproofed? From the time dd was a wee thing, I 'd say no screaming use your indoor house. people thought I was crazy but she stopped screaming. and is used to the reminder.

You can say no screaming use your indoor voice and leave him. physically remove yourself. or put him in his crib until he's quiet.

and when he's outside, remind h im this is an ok place to be loud.

we also teach htem how to be excited quietly. I see you're excited how else can you show me how happy you are. You can clap? you can jump, you can smile.

its basically persistance.

I personally woudlnt be ok w/ being punitive at this age.

4xMommy 05-27-2008 07:51 AM

I wish I had advice for you. My one year old is the same way. I can't stand it anymore...sometimes I wish I'd saved the receipt, so I could return him! LOL

Guardandolaluna 05-27-2008 07:58 AM

My DD is a screamer. I get down to her level for eye contact and whisper "let's be as quiet as a mouse... and whisper something silly." Mine usually copies me then and tries to talk softly too.
ETA - you can try letting her scream into a pillow.. and then talking softly without the pillow. Or being loud outside then coming inside and talking softly.. kinda like a game. That has worked with my DS.. but then again he is 3. lol

Mirasmom 05-27-2008 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xMommy (Post 3686633)
I wish I had advice for you. My one year old is the same way. I can't stand it anymore...sometimes I wish I'd saved the receipt, so I could return him! LOL

:yeahthat:
I think you just have to be consistent whatever you do. The parents as teachers lady told me that for every time you aren't consistent, they will try the bad behavior 20 times! AH!

mum2James&Julia 05-27-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 3685597)
I would try finding something safe to ingest that tastes bad -- vinegar, perhaps -- and put a little bit in his mouth when he does it. Might take a few times, but pretty soon he'll figure out that screaming gets a nasty taste put in his mouth.

Is this a joke? I wouldn't even treat a dog like that, let alone my child.

It's a phase, once they learn to communicate this behaviour will stop. I'm going through it with though though. Try to encourage baby to communicate (by signing or verbalizing) before you respond to their need (whatever you know they're screaming for). You'll see a gradual improvement soon, as long as you don't encourage the screaming by responding to it and giving the child what they want (occasionally, it probably wouldn't hurt to respond to the screaming but you don't want to do it consistently).

ETA: to illustrate, if you know baby is screaming because he/she wants water, you might say "Would you like some water (enunciating the consonants - Wa-TeR)?" Make the sign for water "Can you say 'Wa-TeR'?" etc. Once they make some sort of vocalization (doesn't have to sound anything like what you've asked them to say), then respond to them. Of course, sometimes they're just so insistent that they need whatever it is RIGHT NOW, and in that case I'd wouldn't be so demanding for a response and just respond to their need.

eragsdale 05-27-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 3685597)

so there are SEVERAL things i see wrong with this, but the first is; what happens when he is in danger? . You have taught him that screaming is bad; when it is not.

op: sorry no advise; although my husband thought it would be funny and cute to have our son grunt when he wanted more food instead of screaming; sooooo now when we are out eating what does my almost 14 month old do; GRUNTS!:banghead: I could kill my dh!

rmz1217 05-27-2008 10:34 AM

I personally advocate ignoring that sort of behavior when it is for no other reason than demanding your attention. It is however a long road. there is alot to be said for the phrase "use your words". I guess it kind of depends on if he is closer to two or not too what may be effective. There was a point with my son when our days where really long and we would have a midday decompression where him and I both just made loud random noises for 5 minutes or so.
If you can teach him there is a time and a place for that behavior, and teach him substitute behaviors (when there is a reason) and ignore it when there is not it wil fade fairly quickly. Good luck Momma

Griffinsmom 05-27-2008 10:52 AM

Fun stuff. We're going through that at 11 months too.
Partly I think ds is experimenting with pitch and volume and is quite impressed with himself and partly I think he's becomming frustrated that now he's gotten to a stage where he KNOWS what he wants and has no way to express it. This is all a normal part of development.

When ds shrieks at me I casually gaze over at him and give him my "really now?" face and then go back to what I'm doing. At this age I find saying NO and trying to instruct him on what to do instead is pointless, he's just too young for that and giving it all that attention is just reinforcing that behavior. Anything forbidden becomes soooo interesting for him. I make sure I AM rewarding him for other things and showing him more pleasant ways to get my attention. If he has something that WORKS, he'll stop doing waht DOESN'T, but if that behavior gets him attention - even negative attention, it'll keep happening. So as soon as he does something else, I makie sure I'm rewarding that.

Also NB to keep in mind that babies are not moral at this age so they can't really be taught "right vs wrong". The things I have said "noooo, you don't need to be getting in there" about are all things he's obsessed with now-- pulling up on the toilet, dog water bowl etc etc

When ds cries, screams or shrieks my Mom hops to it fast. She gets flustered and says"ok,ok,ok,ok . or it's ok griffin, it's ok honey" and hurries to finish changing him or whatever and boy does that get him going. he plays grandma like a violin :giggle: I'm always saying to her "relax, be calm mom, don't hurry. he's just registering a protest"

HTH Sometimes I just repeat my mantra of this too shall pass. They're only wee for a short time.