Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   WWYD about Constipation? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436954)

kittykat2481 05-27-2008 05:10 PM

WWYD about Constipation?

Corbin is 5.5 months, and I've recently started trying some table foods. Of course he doesn't get much, and other than that he's EBF. Well, since starting the solids, he's having a hard time pooping. He's only gone once in the last week, where he used to go 2+ times per day before. I've given him a little diluted apple juice in a sippy cup, but he didn't seem to be getting much so I put a little in a bottle. I also gave him 1/2 stage one jar of prunes yesterday, and a whole jar of pears today. I was getting dressed to go to the store and get the glycerine suppositories because he's been grunting and pushing for days and seems uncomfortable, when he went a little bit. Not enough, but at least things are moving. It's not hard, but of course not EBF runny either. Would you go ahead and do the suppositories, or keep going with the juice and prunes, pears etc?

Sorry this was so long... TIA for your help!

Swimmingly 05-27-2008 06:20 PM

Re: WWYD about Constipation?

If he is only 5.5 months, I would just stop with the solids altogether and go back to EBF. BM has lots of natural laxatives, so if that is all he is getting, it should take care of it.

christianethansmom 05-27-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmingly (Post 3692517)
If he is only 5.5 months, I would just stop with the solids altogether and go back to EBF. BM has lots of natural laxatives, so if that is all he is getting, it should take care of it.

:yeahthat:

Also, after you introduce any solids, poo will change. It might need some getting used to before they can poo normally. When you say constipated, are they small hard pellet like poos, are just more formed than normal?

Passelofkids 05-27-2008 07:44 PM

A little bit of dark corn syrup and water mixed together helps babies with constipation. Or if you are interoducing baby food, then some prunes once in awhile will work.

boilerbebeRN 05-27-2008 07:50 PM

prune juice

KaylaBee 05-27-2008 10:34 PM

My lo has frequent constipation, she is the same age and has begun w/solids also. I was doing the supositories when it gets painful. I also put 1 tsp. of flax seed oil in one of her bottles a day. I also give her pair juice (2-3oz a day) and now we don't have to do the supositories. HTH

kittykat2481 05-27-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianethansmom (Post 3693091)
When you say constipated, are they small hard pellet like poos, are just more formed than normal?

Actually, it's still not really formed at all, but he's been pushing and grunting for 3 days to get it out. And when it does come out it's just peanut buttery. Is it just that he's used to the watery poo he had when EBF and doesn't know how to poo? That sounds wierd I know, but his tummy is soft and so is his poo, but he's def struggling and going too many days between poos. I'm debating between taking a break on solids, or just including some juice or fruit each day to keep him regular. As it is, I've started him a little earlier than planned, but other than the poo problem he's doing great and loves it.

morgynnsmom 05-28-2008 12:26 AM

Hey, I don't know if I can help but I sure hope so. My daughter is 18 months and has suffered from chronic constipations since birth (poor thing) we tried apple juice, pear juice, pears, prunes everything. Our pediatrician reccommended dark corn syrup in her bottle (she was formula fed) and that seemed to help ALOT. She never did like the juice but water helped also. I started her on solid foods at 4 months and she loved them but of course that brought on a new level of constipation. I don't even know if you feed your little one baby cereal, but I do know that the rice cereal was strickly forbidden in our house along with bannana anything. We gave our daughter oatmeal cereal instead and she liked it (we even put some dark corn syrup in this). Honestly every child is different so I don't know what will work for you but I know when our daughter has had constipation for days she doesn't want to eat, her stomach gets hard and no amount of pears or prunes will work. Our pediatrician told us we could get the glycerin suppositories but to cut them in half.....unfortunately this never really worked for us either because she would just push it out before it melted and had a time to work. If your little one doesn't like the apple juice the pear would be gentler on the tummy. I'm sorry that you are having to go through this with your little one. Honestly you are doing good by trying the fruit and juice first but four days is a long time to be straining :-( so if that still isn't working I would want to call the pediatrician or try 1/2 a suppository. Also please remember that I did not bf so I don't know about that side of things. I'm sorry if I'm not much help I just know what we did and what has and has not helped for us. I honestly hope and pray that your little one finds relief. If you want to ask me any specific questions feel free okay?
Kari

christianethansmom 05-28-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittykat2481 (Post 3694998)
Actually, it's still not really formed at all, but he's been pushing and grunting for 3 days to get it out. And when it does come out it's just peanut buttery. Is it just that he's used to the watery poo he had when EBF and doesn't know how to poo? That sounds wierd I know, but his tummy is soft and so is his poo, but he's def struggling and going too many days between poos. I'm debating between taking a break on solids, or just including some juice or fruit each day to keep him regular. As it is, I've started him a little earlier than planned, but other than the poo problem he's doing great and loves it.

I don't consider my kids to be constipate unless the poo comes out hard. They may seem to be grunting and pushing but it might not be that they're trying to poop. With ds1, after we started solids, he had a really hard time adjusting to push out his poo. He would cry and cry and cry. Or even try to hold it which then made him constipated. He was close to 7 months old when we started. I didn't cut back the food but instead offered him more water. That seemed to help and with time, he learned how to push the poo out. DS2 started solids a couple months ago as well and he's been going through the same thing. Since he's bf'd, it's not as bad and he's gotten used to it now. I would not give the baby anything else other than BM and maybe a bit of water. If his stomach is soft, he's ok. Some babies can go a week in between bowel movements.

lillsoldat7 05-29-2008 02:30 PM

My EBF daughter started having constipation problems also around 5 months. It turned out that foods I was eating were causing the problem. I have had to stay away from potatos, pasta, white rice, carrots, bleached flour, bananas, and believe it or not apples. Some green apples can cause constipation, so I would stay away from the apple juice. I also started my EBF on solids, so I have had to make sure there are none of the above mentioned items in the baby food. I would suggest sticking with the prunes and pears and some water to drink.