Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help please, ds having some troubles while bfing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43737)

serena22304 09-21-2006 08:22 AM

Help please, ds having some troubles while bfing

You would think with this being my 3rd bf baby i would know these things by now :headscratch:

First: do babys continue to eat even when they are not hungry? or does this just go back to them wanting to suck for comfort.

here is my main question/concern
my son is a month old and every time he eats its like im drowning him, he just cant keep up and ends up choking and gagging. He eats every 1-2 hrs or so, just depending on when he is awake. and im not full or engorged, well, i dont feel full. is it normal for him to still be choking? Shouldnt my supply be acustomed to him?

just about every feeding he ends up spitting a good amount back up, could this be from eating too fast? i feed him on an incline to try and see if that would prevent it, but it doesnt seem to help. the spit up is usually "fresh" milk, once and a while its not.

someone mentioned reflux, but wouldnt he be cranky? hes definitely not a cranky baby.
oh and as of his 2wk well baby visit, he is gaining very well, so that wasnt a concern

hauser 09-21-2006 08:45 AM

Re: Help please, ds having some troubles while bfing

It took until my youngest was 3 months old for him to stop choking and gagging and pulling away when my milk let down. She called it overactive let down. They told me it usually corrects by 4-6 weeks. Mine took longer though. I also tried the incline, and it didn't work for us either. He was basically overeating, but not on purpose.

For The Love Of Cloth 09-21-2006 08:51 AM

maybe you have a super duper letdown? Your breasts really know what to do so you may not feel engorged but just have lots of milk coming really fast. I have found it helpful to only use one breast each feeding, or to even stay with one side for 2 feedings in a row. That way he'll get plenty of hind milk, too, and the let down won't be as strong.

Another suggestion I've heard is to express some milk before feeding. This may work for you. For me, it just continued to increase my supply.

You will need to continue to watch for wet diapers, wt. gain, etc no matter what you do.

Since he's not crying or colicky acting, maybe you don't need to change anything? Some babies tend to spit up more than others. Is he upset by the choking and gagging (that sounds like a strange question but oh, well)?

Well, hope you find something to make you both more comfortable. My first ds would eat, eat, eat, then really have a fountain of milk come back up. The dr said nothing wrong and he gained really well.

Kimmomy2dom 09-21-2006 08:51 AM

Every baby is different, so there are always new questions! :D
I would imagine you just have a strong let-down, not a HUGE abundance of milk, KWIM? Since you can have several let-downs per feeding it could seem like he's choking a lot.
I imagine his spitting up could be from eating a good amount at once, or maybe he's overly full if you're worried about him using you as a pacifier. Yes, babies will still suck for comfort if they're full or not hungry. My girls like to be nursed to sleep at night, even if they have eaten recently - does that make sense?
How soon after he eats does he spit up? Sometimes they need to be burped more often, too.
I wouldn't settle on reflux b/c of the ither circumstances (lots of milk at once, etc.) but if it continues then I guess ask your ped? Good luck! My girls are a month old today - I'm right there with you. :)

Leininger27 09-21-2006 08:55 AM

I would say reflux as well if he was spitting up a good portion or what he ate afterwards. Is it normal spit up or is it more projectile spit up?

My ds#3 has GERD (reflux) and he is a very happy baby and has always been very happy. Always gained weight well also. He is my 3rd child with reflux and he has it the worst of them all. He also would gag when I would BF him because I have a strong let down. He still does sometimes (4 months now) and will pull off sometimes because my letdown is too strong.

Shaineinok 09-21-2006 08:57 AM

He sounds very normal to me. Try not to worry and give both of you a couple more months to adjust. My let down was quick and fast too.

halyled 09-21-2006 09:28 AM

I think at 1 month your supply is pretty much still hormone driven rather than demand driven, so no, it may not have adjusted yet. Seems like mine didn't really start to even out until around the 3 month mark. It sounds like you may have overactive let-down, too. Have you noticed that your milk sprays pretty strongly once you let down? Once you let down, it might help to unlatch baby and just let it spray into a burpcloth for a minute until the flow isn't so strong so that baby can handle it better. You might want to read info on OAL at http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...pOct95p71.html and see if it helps. Good luck, and hang in there! It will get easier.

serena22304 09-21-2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmolly
maybe you have a super duper letdown? Your breasts really know what to do so you may not feel engorged but just have lots of milk coming really fast. I have found it helpful to only use one breast each feeding, or to even stay with one side for 2 feedings in a row. That way he'll get plenty of hind milk, too, and the let down won't be as strong.

Another suggestion I've heard is to express some milk before feeding. This may work for you. For me, it just continued to increase my supply.

You will need to continue to watch for wet diapers, wt. gain, etc no matter what you do.

Since he's not crying or colicky acting, maybe you don't need to change anything? Some babies tend to spit up more than others. Is he upset by the choking and gagging (that sounds like a strange question but oh, well)?

Well, hope you find something to make you both more comfortable. My first ds would eat, eat, eat, then really have a fountain of milk come back up. The dr said nothing wrong and he gained really well.

Ive had to pump some anyways, and i have noticed its increasing my supply.
He is having plenty of wet diapers too.
he does get upset when he starts choking, but once he can catch his breath he latches back on like nothing ever happened.
As long as i know this is normal, i can be at ease a little more, Thanks :)

serena22304 09-21-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leininger27
I would say reflux as well if he was spitting up a good portion or what he ate afterwards. Is it normal spit up or is it more projectile spit up?

My ds#3 has GERD (reflux) and he is a very happy baby and has always been very happy. Always gained weight well also. He is my 3rd child with reflux and he has it the worst of them all. He also would gag when I would BF him because I have a strong let down. He still does sometimes (4 months now) and will pull off sometimes because my letdown is too strong.

his spitup just pours out of his mouth

ailurus 09-21-2006 02:53 PM

This happened with my dd, she would choke when she first started nursing. Someone suggested a new position which I tried and worked. Basically you start them out "nursing uphill". I latch her on and then scootch myself down while lifting her up so that she is above my boob, face down. Once she settles in and the letdown has stopped I can sit back up and lower her to normal position. Hasn't choked since....