Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Baby shaking/spasming in utero? PLEASE READ! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437477)

passthepickles 05-28-2008 08:27 AM

Baby shaking/spasming in utero? PLEASE READ!

I know this might sound crazy... it does to me anyways, but I never had this happen while pregnant with DS #1 so I am a little concerned.

Sometime last week, I started noticing the baby shaking or spasming for about 10-12 seconds at a time. I will be 30 weeks along on Friday and it happens 1-3 times a day. Gradually, I have realized that I can tell when these fits are coming because I start to get crampy before hand.

I chalked it up to crazy fetal stretching or something until last night when I was cramping so bad that I could hardly put my hands behind my back. I think the cramping is BH contractions, and they are getting worse, but I wonder if it is hurting the baby.

Her kicking is frantic- even painful, and it shakes my whole belly; then she doesn't move for a little while afterwards. The rest of the day, she is fine and active and kicking like normal.

I have a call into the nurse at my OBGYN, but I just wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar? Ease my mind!

rawheid 05-28-2008 08:35 AM

Re: Baby shaking/spasming in utero? PLEASE READ!

could it be really strong hick ups?

passthepickles 05-28-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawheid (Post 3696454)
could it be really strong hick ups?

I don't think so. It's way different than hiccups. It's continuous- like there's an earthquake in there, but it only lasts a short time. It's scary, though.

MamaEli 05-28-2008 08:43 AM

This hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of it frequently. I think it's mainly part of the nervous system developing and nothing to be worried about. Just an involuntary muscle reaction.

passthepickles 05-28-2008 08:48 AM

Well, the nurse just called me back and she said that she assumes everything is fine- since she is moving normally the rest of the time. But, just to be safe, she is going to speak with my doctor and call me back. She said it is a little bit abnormal, since fetal movements shouldn't feel like "shakes" so she wants to know what is going on. Hopefully they don't have me on a monitor all day or something. :(

YnotBhappy 05-28-2008 08:53 AM

This happened to my second and third pregnancies. It freeked me out too, but they both turned out okay and my doc assured me that it was normal.

sourpatch_babe 05-28-2008 09:01 AM

That happened to me the second time around. It freaked the bejezus out of me cuz it felt like bellybaby was having some sort of epileptic attack. Come to find out, when he sleeps he straightens out the one leg and kind of shakes it around (think of what a dog does when you scratch their belly). He was born fine and I'm convinced that that's what he was doing in there, shaking it like he didn't care:giggle:

logansmomma07 05-28-2008 09:31 AM

That happened to me with my first pregnancy, it was very weird and scared the heck out of me too! It happens with this one also, and everything is fine, and I have also heard (read) about it happening to alot of mamas on here too. It never hurts to have it checked out though :thumbsup:

AnnaG01 05-28-2008 09:37 AM

Yikes that is scary sounding! I would get it checked out, it would be better to put yourself at peace of mind even though it's prob okay

liberty4all 05-28-2008 09:51 AM

I know what you mean - I've felt the same thing with this pregnancy, only not as hard as what you described. I think if it were as hard as you described I would definitely have called too. Frankly though, I think my midwife's office can't wait until I have the baby so I will quit calling them.