Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Weaning from formula to whole milk? HELP! UPDATED WITH A QUESTION ON POST 20. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437910)

I Smile Because Of Them 05-28-2008 01:10 PM

Weaning from formula to whole milk? HELP! UPDATED WITH A QUESTION ON POST 20.

Ok, so I've never had to do this before. DD nursed until she was 2 years old, well DS is pretty much completely weaned because of the pregnancy. He's been on formula for about a month. On Friday he turns one and was wondering how do you stop formula and switch to whole milk. I'm not sure how to wean him exactly. I don't want him to get sick with the sudden change. Can anyone offer me any advice as far as switching him over to whole milk. Do I even have to? He still nurses about 1-2 times a day, but I'm not sure he's getting anything. I think it's mostly for comfort. Should I switch him to cows milk slowly, and if so how? Or should I switch him cold turkey?

LunaBirch 05-28-2008 02:23 PM

Re: Weaning from formula to whole milk? HELP!

Honestly.. I wouldnt switch a 12 month old to cows milk.. DS was formula fed and I kept him on formula till he was 2.. and then switched him to Nestle NIDO which is fortified whole milk powder with the nutrients of formula.. DD is 17 months and also gets the NIDO, as well as some formula now that she has completely weaned from the breast (thanks to the pregnancy as well). IMHO I just dont think milk has everythhing a 12-24 month old needs.. is he truely eating a balanced diet of solids? I know plenty of moms switch to milk at 12 months, so its really your call.. but realize you CAN keep him on formula longer.. and especially since he just made the switch I be inclined to wait longer, so he is making another sudden switch, kwim?

MomE2MathU 05-28-2008 06:27 PM

We did it slowly as our pedi recommended. We started doing bottles with 3/4 formula and 1/4 whole milk for a week. Then a week at 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula until we were at 100% milk. That also helps them get used to the cold temperature of milk slowly. We had no problems with the transition. And milk is so much cheaper than buying formula!

christianethansmom 05-28-2008 07:11 PM

I"m sure you'll get lots of different opinions here but here's what I did. Just offer the whole milk in a cup or bottle by itself. start with small amounts. Maybe an ounce or 2. And always introduce any new foods during the day, in case there are allergy issues. I never mixed it with anything else. Then slowly increase the amount and decrease the amount of formula. You should not continue to give infant formula to a baby that's over 1 years old. There's not enough nutrition in the infant formula.

eilla05 05-28-2008 07:37 PM

I am in the process of switching to whole milk myself. You can give them the next step formula but I dont see any need for it as long as they are eating a good varied solid diet.

I just started giving Greyson an oz of whole milk a day in his sippy cup as of yesterday just so the taste wont be so new to him. My pedi said to start giving him whole milk at 11months but dont make the change completly until right after a year and even said if I wanted I could wait until a year and then start the whole milk.

Personally I would just start giving him a few oz in a sippy cup if he will take one and then slowly as he gets closer to one year make it more milk less formula kwim? This is what I plan to do..

I am also weaning from the bottle in the next month also

good luck mama!

Connors_Mama 05-28-2008 07:41 PM

DS was never on formula and he is still bf 2 times a day but I started introducing cow milk at 12 months and I just give it to him in a little cup with a straw 1 or 2 times a day (around 2 ounces each time). He thinks anything with a straw is great so he loves to drink his milk

logansmomma07 05-28-2008 11:24 PM

We're having issues switching, ds hates milk (any and all kinds) and will not even take his formula in a cup. I even tried different "cool" cups, he doesnt care and spits it out. I'm planning on doing half milk half formula at least until he is 2. We're using the 2nd step formula, and he is still getting between 24-30 oz a day. Plus a variety of solids :) I just wish we could get rid of the bottle :yuck:

tararaboomdeea 05-28-2008 11:28 PM

I have always introduced cows milk slowly in a cup. My first 2 were full time bottle babies by 12 months, so we'd start adding some milk in with the formula and still have it warm. Noah was taking 1 bottle of formula a day at 12 months because I was preggo, so the switch was pretty easy for him, too. After a few days, add more milk and less formula and so on. Never had any issues switching so far.

If you drink milk and he's not had a reaction to it, I think he will be fine with the switch. Just make sure it's whole milk, organic if it's available and you're able to afford it, and take your time. Hope he does fine! :)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 05-28-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomE2MathU (Post 3702746)
We did it slowly as our pedi recommended. We started doing bottles with 3/4 formula and 1/4 whole milk for a week. Then a week at 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula until we were at 100% milk. That also helps them get used to the cold temperature of milk slowly. We had no problems with the transition. And milk is so much cheaper than buying formula!

this is also what we did with ds1. worked great but like pp said you don't need to switch to whole just because he's 1, formula is still good for him:hugs:

eringelliott 05-29-2008 01:59 AM

I just started the transition myself today! I gave my 11.5 month old about an ounce or two of organic whole milk in a sippy cup with dinner. She didn't drink it all, but she didn't have a bad reaction to it either. Tomorrow I may give the same at 2 meals. I really want to transition to just sippys soon if possible, so Maybe I'll start taking the bottles down an ounce or two a day as I add in the milk. Do you eventually give the milk in place of the formula, in between meals? Or with meals?
Hmmm...I guess I need help myself! lol
lovErin