Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   UPDATE ! THX MAMAS! Ack - horrible Dr's appt - need advice plz!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43890)

GrandIsp 09-21-2006 03:26 PM

UPDATE ! THX MAMAS! Ack - horrible Dr's appt - need advice plz!!

Hi ladies - just wanted to update you on my son's yucky doc visit on thursday - we were without Internet all day yesterday (how did I survive???) or I would have done it sooner.) Anyways - this is all a good reminder to me and hopefully to any of you who are interested in being skeptical and trusting your gut when it comes to medicine, docs, and our kiddos!

We did not end up starting the Augmentin (heavy antibiotic). One mama here said that it caused diarrhea (which our doc also said) and cautioned thatmight make the penis problem worse so I was highly skeptical. I put Aquaphor on it, and used a sposie for one night in case it was detergent build-up in the CD or something (hadn't yet read the last post about pee reacting with detergent...I think that might be exactly what happened). then all day Friday we used CDs but with a liner and lots of Aquaphor. I called the Doc office and explained I felt I had a 'style' mismatch with our current Doc and could I see someone else so they gave me a gal Doc who has been recommended to me before. We saw the new Doc. She said the penis looked irritated but it probably wasn't internal, and we could put 1/2 cup of vinegar in his bath, no soap, and let him soak in there for a few nights in a row. She looked in his ears and said there wasn't any redness at all. And she said that at this time she didn't feel that asthma treatment was necessary - she didn't see any signs - but of course to come back in if I saw any signs. So, pretty much a completely different overview than our previous Doc. Needless to say, I've now switched Drs! It's not that I think the other doc was 'wrong' - just way to overzealous with medicines IMO.

On a side note - one mama here mentioned detergent and heavily concentrated pee causing the inflammation. Our previous doc (that is now no longer our doc) actually did list that as a possible cause. I think that may be the case. On Friday I stripped our entire diaper collection and now am switching back to Sun from Charlie's for a while since that was a detergent change we made in the last few weeks.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice...I used pretty much all of it - even the breastmilk in his ears and on his sore spot. :goodvibes:

I'm freaking out and need some advice on docs and medicine for DS - please help!

I am skeptical of drs in general since my birth experience, and am skeptical of medications too, so take that as a 'history' on me...

I just took DS to the DR. because his poor little penis is all red on the tip/head (sorry for the graphics). Yesterday morning he was in a lot of pain (he's 16 months, and was crying and grabbing what I thought was his tummy). He calmed down once I took his nighttime diaper off, and when I looked his penis was really really red and raw right at the tip, like beet red almost like it was injured, but it was all around the opening. THe whole head looked kind of swollen too...normally it kind of 'lives' inside the skin but it was all poked out and angry looking. So it was still swollen today and also scabby, so I took him in.

This is the second time we've seen this Doc ever...we're new to the area and got him as a recommendation from an ER doc. The Dr said it looked like a skin infection and prescribed an antibiotic (Augmentin? which is Amoxicillin and
Clavulanate and stronger than just Amox.). He also looked in his ears and listened to his chest since he's been getting over a cold for 2 weeks now. He said the antibiotic would help his ears since they looked 'a little' red inside. Then he said his cough sounds asthmatic and asked if he was wheezing at all. I said a little but I thought it was just from the cold, etc. and when he runs and gets excited. He right then and there started going through this booklet on childhood asthma and telling me about the breathing treatment and then sent his nurse in to explain to me how to administer the asthma medication. I was like 'WHAT'??? I asked him to slow down, that I wasn't even here for the cold/cough, that I had no idea what he was talking about.

Well, it goes on, but anyways....I told him I wasn't comfortable with the asthma meds. Should I go get a second opinion? He just seemed to jump in there with asthma out of left field...I'm not sure if I'm being skeptical or just cruel by not treating my son.

Also, I haven't given him the antibiotics yet. Once I start it's for 10 days. I'm SO skeptical! Is there anything else I could do for the 'penis-infection' - a cream or something natural?

Thanks if you made it this far!

KnottyLDSMama 09-21-2006 03:31 PM

Re: Ack - horrible Dr's appt - need advice plz!!

My DS had a group B Strep infection in his foreskin a month or two ago. It was TERRIBLE. But they gave me an antibiotic ointment for him. (Of course, he's quite a bit younger than your DS, too. He's only 5 months). I think on the asthma thing, I would definitely get a second oppinion once your son is feeling better. *Hugs* good luck!

Prettylocks 09-21-2006 03:35 PM

Express breastmilk and put it on his irritated area. That will kill the bacteria and heal the skin. Wether or not to use antibiotics is a tough one. I think getting a second opinion about the asthma meds is A GREAT IDEA.
GL either way. Let us know how it goes!

GrandIsp 09-21-2006 03:39 PM

Ah ha - breast milk! I can try that.

Do you think I'm endangering him by trying something natural first - like, will his penis fall off or something!?:ahh:

Julesmom23girls 09-21-2006 03:55 PM

Well hopefully you aren't going to let it get to that point LOL. I don't see anything wrong with trying the BM first. Give it a day or so and if you don't see any improvement then you can reconsider, you should see some improvement in about a day w/ the BM might not be completely gone but it will help. If you want soak a cotton ball or gauze pad in the BM lay it on the sore spot and then put the diaper on that way it will stay on there longer.

I would def get a 2nd opinion about the asthma but I don't know how long I would wait. If he gets wheezy when he runs then I would be a little more concerned. I mean if it were just the cold you would expect to hear the wheezing sound say after coughing but not all the time.

HTh, good luck.

upstategirl 09-21-2006 04:15 PM

I would get a second opinion. Some doctors are way to quick to say breathing problems. My son had a rash and my sister took him to the dr as I had to work. She came by and told me the dr said he had broncitis (spelled wrong, I think) He also had a cold but, that wasn't the reason he went. They put him on antibiotic, a inhaler, and steriods. The steriods were to open up his airways. I called the dr (wasn't the one I always go to) and asked why so much. The dr said that my son would always have breathing problems and I should buy the inhaler, due to my family history. My sister told him her boys had breathing problems and my grandmother did have asthma. What she didn't tell him was that she and her dh smoked and I'm sure her boys were around it. So, he did go on the antibiotic as I did hear weezing that night and my dh wanted him on the inhaler but, we didn't do the steriods. That's a bit too much. Get a second opinion and go with your gut feeling. :hugs:

Leininger27 09-21-2006 04:18 PM

I would try to breastmilk and then I would also try Cailfornia Baby Calendula Cream. You can get it at like Whole Foods if you have one near you. As for the antiobiotics I am not sure if I would use it combined with soreness on his penis because that med gives you diarhea BAD!!! My ds was on that med a lot for ear infections and every time he had horrible diarhea and would break out in the worst diaper rash. It was almost like it burned his penis and bum.

I know there is a home remedy for the ear infection (or redness of the ears) that you could try instead.

OneFabMama 09-21-2006 05:03 PM

garlic works wonders for an ear infection, crush it up and put it in his socks :giggle: sounds wonky, but it'll work.

OneFabMama 09-21-2006 05:03 PM

oh and you can also use some of the bm for his ears as well. use a medicine dropper and drop a few drops in his ears

GrandIsp 09-21-2006 05:29 PM

Who knew? Fun things to do with breastmilk! I think he's awake now...so here goes milk on the penis, in the ears, and garlic in the socks! :thumbsup: