Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   can i do anything to help me lost weight (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43914)

1bigfamily 09-21-2006 03:37 PM

can i do anything to help me lost weight

I am stil bfing my babies and i dont' want to wean yet. None of us are ready for it. I cannot stand myself any longer though. I have gained 15 pounds since I moved and it is making me so depressed. :cry: Is there anything I can do or take that will not hurt the babies? Please do not flame me for asking.

Prettylocks 09-21-2006 03:56 PM

Re: can i do anything to help me lost weight

I am right there with you, mama! Cut out all refined sugar, white flour, and caffine. Our bodies don't need any of that crap. Makes a big difference. Either said than done, though.

1bigfamily 09-21-2006 04:09 PM

:hugs: yep, easier said than done. I think dh has finally agreed to let me stop buying it for the house though and that will help since I don't go anywhere. :laugh:

CourtneyinAlaska 09-21-2006 04:20 PM

I've lost over 100lbs from my pregnancy high and what I think has really helped me was eating a good breakfast. I am a totally neurotic mom always worried about my supply. One of the things I heard to increase milk production was to eat oatmeal. Not the instant kind but the kind you have to make on the stove. I eat a big bowl of that every day (lots of fiber too) and that tides me over for quite a while so I don't feel like snacking.

kht2006 09-21-2006 04:27 PM

healthy diet and exercise. I haven't lost much weight,but i feel better and look better now that i am exercising three times a week. i know it's hard. i'm right there with you.

mamamac 09-21-2006 05:13 PM

I hear you on this one. Personally I am scared to death to take anything like a diet pill while bf. All my other friends quit breastfeeding and all started some liquid diet for a week. Obviously I'm not going to do that either. I have started to reading about how to eat right and cook more at home, not the frozen stuff, fresh stuff. Just within 6 days, I have lost 4 pounds! Don't get discouraged. It is very easy to do. Only weigh yourself 1x a week.

Here's more what I have done/still doing...switched using sugar with Splenda, started drinking Sierra Mist Free (no sugar, no calories, no carbs), using "Smart Balance" butter and their peanut butter, eating 4-5 small meals a day, put snacks (whole wheat pretzels) in a small baggy and put the big bag away, for a chocolate fix - Jello sugar free pudding. When I need my caffeine fix, I drink a cup of coffee, 1/2 decaf & 1/2 regular, or I drink 1/2 a can of Pepsi and throw the other 1/2 out.

More tricks - drink room temp water as it will fill you up faster, same with apples and raw carrots. Bananas can be misleading, they are loaded with sugar, so only eat 1/2. My new favorite bread is a 12 grain by Brownberry.

Exercise - it is very hard with 2 little ones, but get them involved. I do leg lifts on the floor with my toddler doing the same as we do tummy time for the baby. I have small weights (3 and 5 lbs) and do arm exercises as I read to them. Then every night (as long as the weather is nice) we go for a walk. If we go to the park, we walk the path and then play on the playground. It helps to have someone to walk with, because as you talk you won't realize how long you have walked. I also use an exercise ball. They are about $25 and worth the $$. You can do so many exercises on those. I haven't done it yet, but I bet if you google "simple home exercises" or "exercising with baby" a ton of stuff will come up.

I hope this helps and didn't get too off the subject.

uk2usa 09-21-2006 08:22 PM

I don't like the idea of diet pills, or fad diets like the Atkins diet.
Losing weight is about a lifestyle change and for it to be successful takes *time* and effort. Easier said than done...

We're living with my in-laws at the moment, so I can't control my food environment :(
But I hope this helps

~Get rid of the junk in the house, including the kid's treats-they will eat better if they see mum and dad eat better...
~Rearrange your fridge-use the top shelf to store fruits and veggies. Cut up carrots, peppers, cucumbers, melon etc and when you feel hunger pangs just reach for the fresh veggies. It might sound boring, but once you start doing it, you'll be surprised how good it feels and tastes :yummy:
~Exercise! Yeah right :lostit:
I have just started a walking routine with the kids (in stroller) and the first few days were the hardest. But 2 weeks in, it's starting to feel great.
~Run around outside with the kids. If you make it fun, you won't realize you're working out...

Good Luck...

Bluemoon 09-22-2006 06:17 AM

i am doing weigt watchers and lost 3.4lbs my first week. :thumbsup:
it really works and is easy to follow
Barbara

1bigfamily 09-22-2006 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I usually do most of them and I am able to maintain my weight pretty well but here at my dad's he kept coming home with pies and stuff. I asked him to stop and my husband finally agreed to let me stop buying treats for the house. Thanks again,