Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I have NO IDEA how much ebm to send! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44125)

ophelia2002 09-22-2006 09:21 AM

I have NO IDEA how much ebm to send!

nak. :goodvibes:

dd #2 starts daycare next week and i don't know how much bm to send! she's 3.5 months old. any ideas? we nurse on demand.

Kimmomy2dom 09-22-2006 09:24 AM

Re: I have NO IDEA how much ebm to send!

If you scroll down here: http://www.lactationconnection.com/b...questions.aspx
There's a chart of how much bm is consumed by the child's weight. That's just a guestimate, I think, but my girls took about how much they said for their weight. I would send some extra along with that obviously, though!!!

rpg_mommy 09-22-2006 12:34 PM

I think at 3.5 mo mine was taking about 4 oz or so. I'd make sure to send an extra bottle, so that if you underestimated, they won't be short on milk.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is start stocking up on milk now! I made the mistake of only having about a 2 day supply of milk pumped, and ended up playing catch up. Setting an alarm clock for 3 am just so you can get up to pump so your baby will have enough at daycare the next day STINKS!

Good luck mama! And a big pat on the back for not quitting bf'ing to send baby to daycare!

mamamac 09-22-2006 06:29 PM

I just checked out the website from the pp and it is pretty much right on target. My dd is 2 1/2 months, weighs 15 pounds and she drinks about 5 oz from the bottle. Also check out the website www.workandpump.com and print off info sheets for daycare about feeding a breastfed baby a bottle. And, if they have a freezer at daycare, see if you can have 2 bottles/bags in there for those days that you forget the extra bottle.

On a side note...if you still need to increase your stock, pump as much as you can at work. Right now dd only eats about every 3-4 hours, but at work I am pumping every 2-3 hours, including an extra one or two at night.

ebutterfly782 09-23-2006 08:26 PM

I send 4 - 3 ounce bottles. DD stays at daycare from about 7 am to 4 pm. A little less than that really, that's just easier to type. She started at 2 ounces in each bottle. I asked the dr. and he said that 3 ounces was great at a time. We still nurse on demand at home. She loves mommy a lot still. She refuses a bottle if I am anywhere near. If I am gone though, she will take it no problem! She has also started tasting some cereal. (Daycare providers in AL must offer solids at 4 months.) I don't mind. My sitter doesn't force it. She usually tries for a few minutes then, doesn't bother. It's really great!

I pump in the morning on 1 side (2-3 ounces), once at work (5 ounces), and once on the way home on 1 side (2-3 ounces). That usually gets me good. Then on the weekend I get messed up. I had a freezer full of milk, but it is dwindling down. I'm hoping I can get some more in there.

Good luck!

whiterabbit 09-23-2006 08:36 PM

I send about 14 oz. in a container. My MIL warms up about 2-3 oz at a feeding. Now that ds is finally drinking from a bottle, she has the flexibility of adding more to a bottle if he wants it. I'm not sure if that would work at daycare though, but it does save me time from filling bottles.

jrk 09-23-2006 08:38 PM

My ds has been taking 4oz bottles since he was like a month old. I know I can pump 9oz at a time, so I imagine he's getting about that much when he nurses. However, he's not a big fan of bottles, and will only take about 4oz from a bottle. I'd just send extra along just in case. After a day or two, you'll know about how much you'll be needing. Gl!

ophelia2002 09-24-2006 11:09 AM

Thanks for the input!:goodvibes: