Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Weird dr app't... when are you supposed to start "real food"? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441572)

paintedbison 05-31-2008 08:06 PM

Weird dr app't... when are you supposed to start "real food"?

I took my 1 year old for a checkup with a new ped (we moved) yesterday. The nurse asked if I was feeding him baby food. I said "no, he would never really eat baby food". She asked what he was eating then... I said I give him bites of what the rest of us are having. She said "well, does he not get any fruits or vegetables then?" I said, no, I give him those too. :headscratch:

Then the doctor came in and asked about baby food. I said he wouldn't ever eat more than two bites of anything mashed so we just started him on solid food at eight months and he eats what the rest of us eat. He turned to DS and said "well, whose the boss here? You or her?" He asked me if he even had any teeth to chew it. I was like "yeah, he's got some teeth". He just acted really, really concerned that DS was NOT eating babyfood.

I don't get it! :headscratch: I thought babyfood was just to transition them to regular food. I figured as long as he's not choking on regular food, why feed him mush? I'd rather him sit and pick up bites than me sit and spoon feed him.

It was very strange. Did I miss some "needs to be fed babyfood" window?

togg_mama 05-31-2008 08:23 PM

Re: Weird dr app't... when are you supposed to start "real food"?

I had a dev doc tell me that. I ignored her and did what I wanted. No need to fix what ain't broke!

jennylou 05-31-2008 08:29 PM

lol, crazy Dr!

Our ped asked about solids, I told her DD would eat what we did, but I took her portion out before seasoning and she told me not to bother, that way she'd get used to how we ate. It's worked for us and at 22 months (almost anyways), DD is a wonderful eater, not very picky at all. :)

BeckyP 05-31-2008 08:33 PM

I never give the Doc more info then what they need to know. If your child is eating and he is healthy then I see no problem.
My sister feeds her baby table food and I feed mine baby food. She thinks I'm crazy for not feeding her more variety of table food and letting her experiment but I worry about choking and food allergy so she will be on baby food for quite a while.

zacks_mommy 05-31-2008 08:52 PM

At my last appt, I spun that question a little bit. I said "yes, he eats baby friendly food", he really likes mangos, squash, peas, etc. My doctor seemed to pass right over that and commented on how I have a good eater, since I give him a wide variety of foods. My friend had gotten a lecture about not feeding enough table foods less than a month earlier, so I was prepared. I try not to give any info that is too contraversial. I always figure if he doesnt ask, and my son has a clean bill of health, I dont volunteer. :)

babydoll101 06-01-2008 09:02 AM

That is really strange. Around here people are promoting waiting until they are able to eat table food and skip baby food all together. There is a phrase for it but I can't remember it right now. I love making my baby food and my daughter loves eating it. But if she didn't then I would waite and give her the food we are eating. I think your doing the right thing;)

babydoll101 06-01-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by togg_mama (Post 3731575)
I had a dev doc tell me that. I ignored her and did what I wanted. No need to fix what ain't broke!

:yeahthat:

haydn'smommy 06-01-2008 09:06 AM

That's odd. I tell parents in my office that there was an entire world of babies who did just fine before Gerber put food in jars; table food is fine, just don't add salt and sugar and fats to it. Anything we eat can be fair game for the little one (within reason of course).

paintedbison 06-01-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydn'smommy (Post 3734583)
That's odd. I tell parents in my office that there was an entire world of babies who did just fine before Gerber put food in jars; table food is fine, just don't add salt and sugar and fats to it. Anything we eat can be fair game for the little one (within reason of course).

Are you a pediatrician?

haydn'smommy 06-01-2008 12:27 PM

I'm a PNP.