Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Talk to me about mei tai's and wearing your baby! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44386)

momtothreeboys 09-22-2006 08:48 PM

Talk to me about mei tai's and wearing your baby!

I am considering getting a mei tai(I think that is how you spell it:headscratch: ). I wear my ds part of the day in a regular carrier, loves it. My back is killing me. I need something that is comfortable and does not hurt my back!!! My son is 7 mths and is 23 lbs. What do you guys suggest, any tips on making this easier. My son and I both love being close but I am up all night with back pains-Help

Shanna 09-22-2006 09:07 PM

Re: Talk to me about mei tai's and wearing your baby!

Mei Tais are definately easier on the back, since the weight's over both shoulders. I would DEFINATELY get padded shoulders. At first I really didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I changed my mind! lol

They may look intimidating, but they're really pretty darned easy to use. And whatever kind you get, don't just stick w/ the ties in the wearing instructions. Play around. I've discovering different tying methods change the weight distribution of the baby pretty significantly.

:)
Shanna

EmmalinesMom 09-22-2006 09:24 PM

I love my Mei Tai!! Mine is from www.catbirdbaby.com and has been great. I love the lightly padded straps. (By no means are they bulky, just enough padding to be really comfy.) Once you get the hang of them, they are very easy to use.

Mount*n*sunshine 09-22-2006 09:32 PM

Go get yourself a Kozy or babyhawk and live life on the easy street.
babyhawk.com
kozycarrier.com

peypeymama 09-22-2006 09:40 PM

ditto on the babyhawk! You'll wonder how you lived with one!

iris0110 09-22-2006 11:02 PM

I think it depends on the person and what they are doing which Mei Tai is more comfortable. My most comfortable Mei tai is a Freehand baby carrier Mei Tai. It is absolutely gorgeous and I can wear it for hours on end without getting uncomfortable. The only draw back is that it is a smaller bodied Mei Tai and so when ds falls asleep there is no headsupport. So my Kozy has been seeing more use. Lots of moms find the Kozy to be the most comfortable Mei tai available. They are definately sturdy. Kelley weight tested them by having her husband carry her on his back. They are canvas with a heavy decorating fabric. They have a curved head support that can be turned down for alert time, or up for sleepy time. Most people consider them to be the gold standard. I love my Kozy (see my avatar pic, I am carrying my 5yr old on my back in my Baroque Kozy in that pic). I have a Baby Hawk, and while I like it, I don't love it. It is alright comfort wise, but not as comfy as my FH or Kozy. There are so many choices for decorative fabrics, but they are light weight so they aren't going to wear as long as a kozy (not that that is necessarily a problem, unless you plan on using for a very long time). The twill they are made out of is softer at first, so definately nicer that way. They come in a regular which is about the size of a Freehand, an XT which is much taller (I have heard both ways about the XT, some love it some hate it) and the new headrest style which is what I have (also in my avatar pic). I like the headrest because it combines the small bodied carrier that i like with head support for sleeping baby. The only problem I see is that ds is already reaching the top of the headsupport at 9.5months. Which means when he hits 18 months or so the head support will be to short to work for him. I have heard alot of the same from other mom's. but right now I think it is a great compromise. And I really do love all of the pretty fabrics.

Of course there are a ton of other Mei Tais out there. Lots of good and not so good ones. They range in price from reasonable to extremely expensive. But you can always buy used which helps some. I don't know how I would get through a day without my Mei Tais though. I am as addicted to carriers as I am to cloth diapers. :laugh:

cr2005 09-23-2006 12:13 AM

I just love my Mei Tai's. They are so great for getting things done around the house and when we are out running errands. Your baby is big like mine so you may be more comfortable with padded straps. My son used to sleep in our Kozy Carrier all of the time, but now that he is a little older he likes to look around so I use a BabyHawk or a Free Hand most of the time.

cuties02q 09-23-2006 09:40 AM

We love our mei tai's they are so comfy and ds is happy as a clam when he is being worn. My Babyhawk's are my very very favorite :thumbsup:

momto2boysinOnt 09-23-2006 11:42 AM

I think a mei tai (MT) is a great carrier for you and your babe. I bought my first MT when DS2 was about six months old. I have tried many many different kinds since then because they are just soooo cool.

Kozy and BH MTs are great! There are lots of other great brands as well. Good luck deciding!

hfitz5051 09-23-2006 12:46 PM

Mei tais are awesome! I started making my own and find them the most comfortable. Imo, padding in the straps is a must.
SPAM:
That beautiful one in my avatar is for sale now here http://hyenacart.com/AnimalCrackers/