Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due Date Discussions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Some advice would be great. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444064)

MomsHelpingMoms 06-03-2008 10:20 AM

Some advice would be great.

I want to go into labor on my own. With my first 2, I never really had that moment of "OMG, I'm in labor!" I always go to the hospital too early and end up being induced. Well, this baby is big, already. I'm afraid that if I go all the way to the end, the baby will be very big and hard for me to push out on my own. I am a doula and should know better that we don't grow babies bigger than we can birth, but doctors have very different ideas on the matter. I would rather have my natural vaginal birth than a c-section so what is worse, giving up my fear of not going into labor on my own and risking delivering via c-section or submitting to induction earlier than my edd?

I should add that I am 100% sure of the time I got preggo so the dates aren't off, this lo just decided to grow big. It is like my first. I had her at 36 weeks and she was already 6.5 pounds. Everyone says that if I went the full 40-42 weeks, she'd have been right around 10 lbs. I had to have episiotomies with both my 6 pound children so I'm afraid my body just cannot handle the delivery of a 10 pound baby. Any advice would be great because this is making me sad.

JeDeeLenae 06-03-2008 10:24 AM

Re: Some advice would be great.

You CAN handle the birth of a 10 lb baby. My first son was 9 lbs 6 ozs. My cousin's first daughter was 10 lbs 2 ozs. Just go with the flow! And stay positive. Don't get worried about how big the baby will be.

MomsHelpingMoms 06-03-2008 12:32 PM

I understand fully that a lot of women can. I'm worried about if I can if that makes sense? Just because of my previous history.

ThatLinGirl 06-03-2008 01:03 PM

Ok -- first, it is unlikely that your baby really would have gained a pound a week at that point. Honest.

And "had" to have an episiotomy? Why? Tears are usually far less serious than an episiotomy and they really can't tell ahead of time if you'll tear or not. Why take a 100% wound over the chance of one? I know many mamas who "had" to have episiotomies with 6lb babies and have pushed out 10lb babies without issue.

Since you're a doula, I'm sure you know this, but you'll be best able to birth a larger baby by maintaining a wide range of motion and listening to your body. :hugs:

If I were you, I would tell your doctor that you trust in your body and will not submit to a c-section for size, nor for slow progress, as long as you and the baby are okay. Sometimes they play the "dead baby" card, but if so, simply ask if you and your baby are both okay at the present time? If yes, then continue. Have a doula to stand up for you, even though you are one!

I would also not consent to an induction, since, as you know, that also increases your risk of a c-section.

mmillerRN 06-03-2008 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=MomsHelpingMoms;3753931]I want to go into labor on my own. With my first 2, I never really had that moment of "OMG, I'm in labor!" I always go to the hospital too early and end up being induced. QUOTE]

It sounds like you're going into labor on your own, but are in early labor and they augment. Is this right? Perhaps if you stayed at home for a few more hours (maybe even 8-10 hrs, depending on how long you labor) you wouldn't have to have any drugs to help you, and you can discuss the reasons why you had an episiotomy w/ your first 2 and let your doc know you don't want that this time unless absolutely necessary.

kezoo 06-03-2008 01:14 PM

ITA w/ Lindsay!!! And IMO, each birth gets easier and you are more experienced. :)

sheleighya 06-03-2008 01:33 PM

For some women each birth gets easier. But for others, like myself, it got 2x longer, not necessarily harder except when came time to push because I was being directed to push instead of being allowed to push when I was ready, and the size of second. My second was a little over 8lbs.

So, mama! You have to trust yourself, in knowing that your body will do the job right, without all of the extras. It truly will if you trust and go with it.

Some babies slow down in growth at the last month instead of dramatically gain depending on many factors. So it will be well with you. I stayed home until I was 9cms. I check my own cervix, and so can you if you so choose.

Wait it out, then go in. They cannot force you to be induced, or have a c-section. The most that can happen is that the baby will take longer to come and push out- so be it. Just do not be bullied, and stand up for what you want mama. I personally would like to refer you to freebirth.com.

I learned how to communicate with my baby while in labor, and check my cervix, and I stayed home for 20+ hours in labor without anyone and felt very comfortable before I went to the birth center with my husband. Feel comfortable in your body, and with knowing that you will not give in to what you do not feel inwardly is best.

abacus2 06-03-2008 01:52 PM

If you do go in too early, you don't have to let them induce you. Just go back home, or if you live a fair distance from the hospital and really feel you're in serious labor, check into a hotel. Definitely look for a doula for yourself. You can do this!

sheleighya 06-03-2008 05:20 PM

That's right! You can just go back home instead of checking into the hospital. I would not check into a hotel though, I would return home, and have a doula there with me. Also, some doula networks provide service for free if not within finances to hire one, or on a sliding scale basis.

mengmommy 06-03-2008 06:03 PM

A couple of things...

First, it sounds like you could have been in prodromal labor...kind of like practice labor. With dd (my second-ds, my first I had SROM) I was in labor on and off for a few weeks, and dilated to a 5 by the time my labor actually started. Once it actually started, I was only in labor for 4 1/2 hours. I'm sure I would have been "failure to progress" according to most doctors, and they would have tried to augment my labor. Lucky for me though, we went UC.

Second, DON'T lay down to give birth! Your pelvis closes off 30% when you lay down. So if you do have a "larger" baby, you are doing your body and your baby a HUGE disservice by submitting to laying down to birth. Birth upright, squatting, or on all fours.

Third, read this thread here on DS...it gave me a LOT more confidence in birthing big babies as I've had two *almost* 7lb babies and thats it.