Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   question about breast pumps (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445428)

sarah26 06-04-2008 12:54 PM

question about breast pumps

I currently have a manual Avent pump and it's alright but annoys me having to use my hand. I haven't pumped much but I'm wanting to start to allow my husband to help me out and include him a bit more now that we have nursing down. What kinda of electric pump would you recommend that is a reasonable price. I won't be using it often just when needed. I can't see spending several hundred for a pump that won't be used non stop. Hope someone can help me!!:thumbsup:

odentonmom 06-04-2008 03:02 PM

Re: question about breast pumps

I just saw that you are in Ft. Meade, MD. That is right down the road from me. :thumbsup: Do you ever go to LLL meetings?

The only one that comes to mind is the Medela Single Deluxe. Here it is for $65. The ones you can buy at the store like Evenflo, Gerber, etc. are not really very good. If you are looking at those, I think you would do better sticking with the Avent or getting a Medela Harmony.

abbi77 06-04-2008 08:55 PM

I second the pp on the evenflo/gerber ones. I wanted badly for one of those to work w/dd #2, and eventually gave up because I thought I wasn't able to pump. I literally couldn't get even an ounce, after pumping each side for 20-30 min. Anything has to be better than those!

spacecat1974 06-04-2008 08:59 PM

Or, if you've a mind to... You can sign up with a milk bank. While they don't pay you for your donation, there's one that will give you a FREE medela PIS (an over three hundred dollar value).

angel95annie 06-04-2008 09:30 PM

I don't know if you have the ability to listen to podcasts, but Mommys milk and More podcast is fantastic and they covered this exact question. If you subscribe, you can download the past show where the lactation consultant interviewed a lady from Medela.

I would totally reccomend the Medela products. They are top notch - researched to mimic the baby's nursing style to make pumping more successful. They have a swing pump that is a single pump - one boob at a time. It is more affordable since it doesn't sound like you need one for every 2 hours 8 hours a day as if you were going back to work. The Pump In Style is what I bought, and didn't really use since we EBF. It's great! But I only used one boob at a time, so I overspent :)

Go to medela.com they explain their products there :)

NathanNGabriel 06-05-2008 12:09 AM

i love my medela swing pump. IDK how much it was as I was given it by my birthing center. I hate manuals as well, so the swing was perfect for me.

oneblessedmama 06-05-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecat1974 (Post 3770948)
Or, if you've a mind to... You can sign up with a milk bank. While they don't pay you for your donation, there's one that will give you a FREE medela PIS (an over three hundred dollar value).

Do you have a link? I've been thinking of doing this, but I doubt there is a milk bank close enough to me. The pump would be a good incentive.

oootheduchess 06-05-2008 05:01 PM

As everyone else has said Medela pumps are GREAT! But they are spendy. I would suggest trying to find one used at a cheaper price and then you just go online and order replacement parts. I recieved my In Style for FREE!!!! secondhand and I just replaced the breast cups and everything else that came in contact with milk or boob and it cost me around $60. It's worth it to spend a little more money for a great pump. If you take care of it you can use it for many years to come!

spacecat1974 06-05-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneblessedmama (Post 3778536)
Do you have a link? I've been thinking of doing this, but I doubt there is a milk bank close enough to me. The pump would be a good incentive.

http://www.breastmilkproject.org/

angel95annie 06-05-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oootheduchess (Post 3778886)
As everyone else has said Medela pumps are GREAT! But they are spendy. I would suggest trying to find one used at a cheaper price and then you just go online and order replacement parts. I recieved my In Style for FREE!!!! secondhand and I just replaced the breast cups and everything else that came in contact with milk or boob and it cost me around $60. It's worth it to spend a little more money for a great pump. If you take care of it you can use it for many years to come!

This is a great idea! :thumbsup: Just be sure you get the history of the breast pump first. The vacume has been known to wear out over time :thumbsup:

But if you are the first "serious" owner, then you can save some good money