Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I dont know how to feel (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446865)

bellamama 06-05-2008 02:57 PM

I dont know how to feel

My oldest daughter arabella, hasnt nursed in 5 days.
Even though I was ready for her to wean, I didnt think she was. I am a little bummed.
Do most of you feel that way when your children are done?

Who knows, maybe tomorrow she will want to again. Its not unusual for her to go a day or 2 and then start back up with asking 4 times a day

newGranny2 06-05-2008 03:07 PM

Re: I dont know how to feel

awww! first dd got a cold at 11 months and weaned herself. i definately missed the intimacy and closeness.

mommy21princess 06-05-2008 08:09 PM

Not sure how old your oldest is BUT many babies will go through nursing strikes/or distraction periods where they won't really nurse for a couple of days without being reminded, especially around the 1 year mark. I know my dd was HARD to get to nurse around that time, I just pumped and offered often. Dream feeding helped alot too and nursing in the shower! www.kellymom.com has a lot of information about this age!!

Irishmommy 06-05-2008 09:06 PM

Yep, I've always felt it was bitter sweet when my children started the weaning process.:hugs:

Diapersewingmama 06-05-2008 09:47 PM

Hugs!

heathersmoker 06-05-2008 09:52 PM

Oh yes, I still feel sad about my DS weaning 4 months ago. And he was 3 1/2! DD is still nursing at 1 and I hate the idea of when she is done because she will be my last. I just love the snuggle!

bellamama 06-06-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy21princess (Post 3780362)
Not sure how old your oldest is BUT many babies will go through nursing strikes/or distraction periods where they won't really nurse for a couple of days without being reminded, especially around the 1 year mark. I know my dd was HARD to get to nurse around that time, I just pumped and offered often. Dream feeding helped alot too and nursing in the shower! www.kellymom.com has a lot of information about this age!!

She is 3.

bellamama 06-06-2008 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishmommy (Post 3780910)
Yep, I've always felt it was bitter sweet when my children started the weaning process.:hugs:

It is bittersweet. I tried explaining it to my husband last night but he doesnt get it

Irishmommy 06-06-2008 07:39 AM

The beauty of child led weaning is that you know they are ready and it is such a natural process. My ds self-weaned at 18 months and dd started the process (even though I had to finish it quickly because I was preggo and couldn't handle nursing while pregnant) at 26 months. I still miss nursing her and was convinced that if she asked again once the baby was born that I'd give tandem nursing a try...but she has never asked...so I guess she was pretty ready to wean too. Men just can't understand the nursing relationship. There really isn't a standard of comparison for them. Nursing is wholly a beautiful, mother/child relationship.:hugs: What a blessing to have that in our lives.

bellamama 06-06-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishmommy (Post 3783311)
The beauty of child led weaning is that you know they are ready and it is such a natural process. My ds self-weaned at 18 months and dd started the process (even though I had to finish it quickly because I was preggo and couldn't handle nursing while pregnant) at 26 months. I still miss nursing her and was convinced that if she asked again once the baby was born that I'd give tandem nursing a try...but she has never asked...so I guess she was pretty ready to wean too. Men just can't understand the nursing relationship. There really isn't a standard of comparison for them. Nursing is wholly a beautiful, mother/child relationship.:hugs: What a blessing to have that in our lives.

Joe doesnt understand extended breastfeeding. He recognizes the health benefits and thought it was great that she was still nursing at 2 but once mia was born, he started saying that he thought she was getting too old.
He doesnt understand that it isnt something that you can just easily stop. She wasnt ready and it didnt help that she was constantly seeing me snuggle her baby sister.

She actually just finished nursing. Of course, while she was on my lap, mia needed me and I remembered why I am so ready for this to happen.
I guess it is a good thing for it to happen slowly. The days will start spacing out longer and longer until one day I will not even remember the last time.