Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is anybody night-weaning? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4476)

bethanyjoy 05-08-2006 04:58 PM

Is anybody night-weaning?

Just wondering if anybody else out there is working on this! I'm gently and slowly night-weaning my 22 month old; nursing is uncomfortable for me (painful at night) and mostly I just don't want to be tandem nursing at nighttime! LOL

We've been using the PPO (Pantley Pull Off, if you haven't read The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers & Preschoolers, I highly recommend it!) for about two weeks now and he's down to 2 night nursings (was probably 4-6 before); they're brief and he doesn't fall back to sleep at the breast anymore, I tell him "time to let go" and he does and rolls over, goes back to sleep.

I think we'll continue working on decreasing the number of nursings for another couple weeks, then I think he'll start to transition into spending more of the night cosleeping with his brother instead of me. He starts the night there now and joins us around midnight.

My goal is for him to be nightweaned and spending most or all of the night in the sibling bed by September...we're due in Nov, so that should give him enough time that he doesn't feel he was booted from our bed for the baby, kwim? Plus, I'll have more room in OUR bed for my belly! :giggle:

Oh, we're still nursing during the day, probably 2-3x, pretty briefly...normally before naptime and bedtime, one other "pit-stop fueling session" sometime during the afternoon.

So that's our story/plan...what about you? Anybody else going through this? We can be a support thread...:hugs:

Ginamcf 05-09-2006 07:46 AM

Re: Is anybody night-weaning?

Just wanted to say that I love that book! I am not night weaning since my baby is only 11 months but I have noticed that he sometimes only nurses for a few seconds and them lets go and falls asleep. Sometimes I don't even let down before he stops. I think he will night wean on his own sometime soon.

For The Love Of Cloth 05-09-2006 08:30 AM

My ds is 14 mo and nurses long and hard at night! I would love to night wean or even cut down to 1-2 feedings. When he seems to slow, I try to pull off and he gets really feisty about wanting more. I can't sleep while he nurses and it's getting harder in that he seems to be getting more demanding. In addition, our 4 1/2 yr old also climbs in bed with us, so I have him in the crib side car holding my pony tail and sticking his feet in my pants, and the other non stop nursing. I want them to co sleep with each other within the next year. Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with how things are now, but it would be *nice* to get more sleep.

I've read the NCSS and really like it! I should read it again....

Looking forward to seeing responses here!

Tabitha

EasterBun 05-09-2006 03:30 PM

We are... it's a two-fold situation though. I want DD out of the bedroom so I can get more sleep, and I want her sleeping through the night so I am not getting up and going across the house to get her, plus I want my cycles back so we can TTC. It's been going fairly well... she still nurses at night sometimes, but most nights she does fine... just a few weeks ago she was still nursing every 2-3 hours, but only for a minute or two before going back to sleep (and like Gina, I would sometimes not even let down in that time), so I was pretty sure she didn't need it nutritionally.

bethanyjoy 05-10-2006 03:40 PM

Just have to say that the chapter on Night-Weaning in the toddler/preschooler version of NCSS is AMAZING. Great stuff, really practical, and IT WORKS!!!!

I'm all about meeting a child's needs but (don't flame me LOL you all know I'm a breastfeeding advocate to the end) there does come a time when they really and truly DON'T NEED to nurse at night...sometimes they and you sleep better and be happier people during the day if they are night-weaned. The age varies a LOT, it depends on your child...but when you're resenting it, and they're getting lots of nutrition from other sources, maybe it's time to make changes. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, kwim?

trinmama 05-10-2006 07:34 PM

We started weaning from it all when I found out I was preggo (dd was then 10 months old and we started with day time around 1 year)...at the same time we were moving dd out of our bed into her own, in her room (she was too restless, noisy, etc and my growing belly couldn't take it). I didn't push her past what she was comfortable with, so now, at 18 mo, she is weaned (going on one week). My advice is to substitute lots of loving and hands on time when you would have otherwise been nursing. Also, special snacks! Dd used to want to nurse after a nap, so we had pudding instead, or something else "rich" and "sweeter" to substitute. I was also willing to take steps back if needed, ie teething, colds, whatever. For night I did LOTS of Pantley's suggestions (PPO, music, rocking, rubbing back) to get her back to sleep when she woke, so that she was down to nursing to sleep. Then as she started nursing but not going to sleep and rocking to sleep, I cut down on her latch-ons. She was one for latching on for 15 seconds, then off, then on, then off... I told her she had 3 times, then was all done. Gradually (probably 3 weeks or more) I told her 2 times, then one. Then she started to ask, almost latch on, look at me funny, poke me, and giggle. Then she pulled down my shirt and say "all done". Now she doesn't even ask to nurse anymore. Oh yeah, that's another advice...when you are comfortable with it, try "don't offer but don't refuse". I noticed that as I stopped offering, she nursed less often.
Good luck! I know the pain, frustration, heartache...it is bittersweet, but I'll be honest in saying I am glad that I have my breasts to myself for a few weeks before I will be nursing again. hehe.

Hillbilly Bunny 05-10-2006 08:36 PM

I'm trying to wean dd at night slowly, but so far I feel like I'm fight with her all night! We both were up for 2 hours last night. I fought with her for an hour, trying to give her water in a sippy cup, but she kept signing for "Milk" :banghead: Then I finally just gave in and after she nursed she was still up for another hour all fussy! :( It's sooo frustrating!

DS had a paci so it wasn't hard to wean him at night. He was only nursing 1-2 times at this age at night. He was eating regularly throughout the day and took his sippy cup at meals. He was nursing 3-4 times a day. I basically weaned him all together in about 3 days :headscratch:

I guess dd just isn't ready, yet. :confused:

wheatie 05-11-2006 06:12 AM

i'd looove to. we started to about 2 months ago, then ds got sick, and he's been fighting off this crap for quite awhile now(keeps coming and going.) he's finally better-so i'm going to start it back up again. we're going to do the whole shebang, i think-out of bed, and no more nursing.

i'm really worried about ds's teeth. they have a greyish hue to them. i've been told by 2 different dentists that it's most likely the anatomy of his teeth, but i can't help but worry that the all night feeding is making it worse.(i think it is, my dh does not.) anyway, that's why we initally started night weaning-our ped told us to stop NURSING asap or a dentist would have to take out all 4 front teeth(GRRRRRRRRRRRR) and recommended, of course, CIO.

that's a whole other post, though.:blush:

bethanyjoy 05-11-2006 06:52 AM

:hugs:

Here is a link to some of the basic night-nursing-reduction/weaning techniques from Elizabeth Pantley's books. Seriously, though, if you possibly can I'd buy or borrow the book NCSS for Toddlers & Preschoolers, it's AWESOME.

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/con.../frequentw.htm

And this is a link to one of my favourite parts of the Toddler version, 8 tips for better sleep...you can start all these right away, none of them are painful! :thumbsup:
http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/con.../sleeptips.htm

UPDATE:
Just wanted to say that after working on these suggestions CONSISTENTLY for about 1 1/2 weeks, Bryan has gone from nursing a few times a night to ONCE a night!! He starts out asleep in the sibling bed about 8pm after a brief nursing and then cuddles with Dad, sleeps for about 7 hours (one night he actually slept ALL night) then wakes up around 3am. DH usually gets him and brings him to our bed, he nurses for 30 seconds, I use the PPO and he rolls over to go back to sleep on his own, and spends the rest of the night with me in our bed, asleep but not nursing.

I truly feel he was READY to make these steps, hence the fairly easy progress we've made. It went a lot slower when we night-weaned my high-need firstborn! LOL

Oh, he's also adopted "Snuggle Puppy" (stuffed dog) as his sleeping buddy, wants to cuddle him at bedtime and naptime. It's so cute!

Anyway, just wanted to share that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it can happen without tears and fighting! :thumbsup: :hugs:

Mommameyer00 05-12-2006 01:26 PM

Bethany,

Thank you for all those links and posting this! We are struggling with night-weaning right now. This post is just what I needed! :thumbsup: