Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My little one got hurt (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44859)

driftymaer 09-24-2006 06:56 PM

My little one got hurt

I can't believe that this happened. She fell yesterday morning while we were getting ready to go to the fair. I was in the bathroom drying my hair and then we were leaving. Well dh comes pounding on the door screaming and panicking-he couldn't get the door open, and he comes in with her bleeding all over the place. She hit her head on the bottom of the bookshelf in her brothers room. It was in the middle of her forehead right over her right eye. Well I got her cleaned up enough to look and I knew they would have to glue it shut but then she started acting sleepy and spacey. They did a CAT scan on her and thankfully her brain is ok-no sign of any trauma, but she fractured her skull. We were going to cancel going to the fair of course but......it's 2 miles from the children's hospital-the one that they would have life flighted her to if anything went wrong. My sister works at the hospital and both her and the Dr. said that we didn't have to cancel and we might be better off going anyways to be closer-that should have clued me in right there. My sister just called me and like it's not bad enough already said-"I don't know if I should tell you this". It turns out that what we though we a little hairline fracture (bad enough as that would be) is actually a big horizontal fracture across her forehead. She had the neurosurgeon pull up the CAT Scan and double check it and that's what they found. They called CHOP and everyone said that there is nothing I need to worry about that it will be healed in a week or so. Of course I'm going to worry! My baby broke her skull-if I knew it was that bad we wouldn't have gone to the fair-I would have taken her directly to the hospital to be checked out by the pediatric neurosurgeon. I'm upset enough that this happened but not to tell me what it really was? She said they didn't want me to panic and worry for nothing. I feel like the biggest idiot and the worst mother. Sorry this is so long-I didn't realize I was this upset about it.

mamamac 09-24-2006 07:14 PM

Re: My little one got hurt

Don't feel bad. A similar thing happened to me last Wednesday. Elise fell backwards off 3 steps landing on her head in the garage. All because I was trying to avoid her getting her hand pinched in the door. It knocked her out cold. I called 911 immediately and they took her to the hospital. She was a trooper, thankfully no fx, but YIKES it scared the you know what out of me. I should add that I am a paramedic and it still scared me! I felt horrible too! It's hard when its your own baby.

Hope she's doing better.

toryandrew 09-24-2006 07:30 PM

OMG! That is so scary. BUT you are so not a bad mom. That is such a freak accident. Absolutely no way you could have forseen or prevented it. That is just terrible and you just followed Drs. orders by going to the fair. I mean when they said it's better to stay close what were you going to do? Drive home? It's sounds like you did everything right. And your sister is a hero.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 09-24-2006 08:01 PM

i already told you what i think maer:hugs: kids are kids and things happen, im glad she is ok and the dr said she'll be ok:hugs:

naturegirl7 09-24-2006 08:11 PM

Just a few days ago, DS fell in a store and bashed his head into a rack they were storing by the fitting room. He actually hit the bolt on the leg of the fixture. He hit his brow bone - dumb luck that he didn't hit his eye and end up with eye trauma, or worse blinded. It got nasty and purple and super swollen in a matter of seconds. We freaked out, rushed him to the ER, and waited there for 4 hours. GRRRRR. They spent 5 minutes looking him over and sent us home to do concusion precautions at home (waking every 2 hours, staying quiet, etc) They didn't even bother to do a Xray or anything!! I was so angry. I am still livid - at the store for not storing their crap where it belongs, and for the hospital for making us wait and then blowing us off when we finally were seen. I felt like the WORST mother cuz I just couldn't reach him in time. I still feel miserable every time I look at him (he has a whooper of a black eye extending up his forehead :cry: )
Know you aren't alone. I am so sorry that they didn't tell you it was serious. Even with a fx, she should have been home in bed, not out at a fair - and the doctor should have known this. Thank goodness your sister had them doubel check and that she called you.
How is that precious baby of yours doing? Is she home or in the hospital? I hope she feels better soon! ANd you too. You are a good mama, try not to beat yourself up too much. :goodvibes:

naturegirl7 09-24-2006 08:14 PM

Hey! Just saw you are from the Poconos! Me too! I hope you didn't take that baby to Pocono Medical Center in Stroudsburg - *never* trust any of the docs there!! Head to Scranton or the Allentown - much much better care than at Pocono! LVH has a head trauma center that is phenominal BTW.

GrandIsp 09-24-2006 09:01 PM

Oh you poor mama and your little one too! That is so scary, I'm glad she's ok. We've been to the ER now 3X in 16 months for my DS. The last time was on Friday - he fell backwards through the opening in a metal folding chair and slammed his head against a cabinet hinge before banging to the ground. He ended up with 2 staples in his scalp - they didn't do xrays or anything.

I hope your little one recovers quickly and you too! These things just happen! I know it's hard to accept that, I still beat myself up nearly every day for one thing or another related to DS.

:hugs:

driftymaer 09-24-2006 09:24 PM

Thank you-I'm glad to know I'm not alone but not glad about the little ones getting hurt. This is one club I know none of us want to be in.

I did go to Pocono Medical-it's the closest to where we live. My sister is and ICU/CCU nurse there so she knows pretty much which Dr.'s I would need to scream for. When the baby started acting sleepy and staring at stuff I knew to get her to the closest one. I actually prefer to go to Moses Taylor in Scranton or straight to the Janet Weis Children's Hosp. in Danville. Her pulmonologist is there so we know the way by heart now. It was the Bloomsburg Fair which is two exits up from the hospital. I'm more upset with myself for listening to her. After everything I have dealt with between my ds and the reflux and stopping breathing from it to Deme and her breathing problems she should know that I wouldn't panic over this. My dh panics-I don't. My decision would have been totally different-thank god nothing happened and she's fine. I feel guilty for risking her like that. My dh left this afternoon to go back to MI. He will be gone for two weeks and is so miserable and upset about being separated to begin with that this is killing him. He started his new job 5 weeks ago and hates being away, but we can't all go until our house is sold. I made the mistake of telling him what my sister told me tonight-I know he's gonna tell my MIL. We're in enough trouble for getting a new puppy at the fair. He misses them so much that when he comes home he'd give them the moon if he could just to see a smile.

Mindi 09-25-2006 09:22 AM

oh poor Deme! I'm glad she is doing ok though!
And for the record you are NOT a bad mommy! These things happen. BTDT
I'm just glad to hear that she is ok. :hugs:

napua 09-25-2006 09:32 AM

Oh that is awful but it is sooo not your fault. Unfortnately accidents happen...I am just glad to know that she is ok.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: