Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Baby led weaning and my seven month old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449828)

sherbetarchitect 06-08-2008 07:17 PM

Baby led weaning and my seven month old

We don't vax which = we don't do many well visits.

We moved so we still haven't established a relationship with a pediatrician here yet either - another reason for less doc visits.

Ds is 31 weeks old and weighs 15 1/2 lbs (average per week gain is 4 oz which is within the "normal range"). We've never had concerns because he nurses well and has steadily gained weight.

Anyway - to the point!

I worry about the solids thing. We went the more traditional route with dd and she started with some rice cereal at around 5 1/2 months. This time around we are doing a more non-traditional approach and hoping to promote extended breast feeding.

So far he will only really tackle breadcrusts and broccoli stalks (he is a b& b kind of a guy I guess). I've tried a few pureeds and he's SOOOO not interested but hand him something to gnaw on and there he goes!

Who else is practicing blw? What have been your experiences? I'm a little nervous :blush:

ajane 06-08-2008 08:51 PM

Re: Baby led weaning and my seven month old

DD3 was EBF until 7 1/2 months old. We are doing BLW'ing and Anna is now 8 1/2 months old. She has had broccoli, sweet potato, avocado, banana, apples, and carrots so far. She has loved everything we have given her. We have also given her cheerios and puffs to "snack" on when we are eating. Once she turns 9 months old, I am going to start giving her whatever we are eating. :thumbsup:

I was a little nervous at first, but had some support from a BLW'ing forum. They told me that the babies use the gag reflex at first quite a bit and reassured me that she isn't choking, just bringing the food back to the front of her mouth when it goes to far back. It only lasted a few days and now if it goes back she doesn't use the gag reflex (unless it is really big or she really isn't paying attention) and will continue to chew it down or spit it out of it is too big for her.

Oh, and she doesn't have any teeth. Her gums are hard enough and do the part!

radtad 06-08-2008 11:53 PM

Ha, I feel ya on the doctor situation.:hugs:We missed some of our early well baby visits due to the exact same reason! Thankfully, I believe we have finally found a pedi who wants to be a doctor to our kids, instead of another parent!

Whew, done with that, moving on...:blush: We BLW, but not strictly. Addi eats most of what we are having for dinner, but certain things I will spoon feed her, which is technically a no-no for BLWers. Things like cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. She handles 'chunky food' on her own. Such as pieces of meat, veggies, etc. I also homemake just a few pureed things. I puree her pears and pretty much any type of berries for fruit. I give her these when she's playing with her 'big girl food'. She eats when we're eating for the most part. When she sees us eating our food is really the only time she is interested in anything non-boob:blush: If we have finished and are sitting there with her, she'll be totally done, no problem. Also, she goes in spurts...maybe 2-3 days will go by and she just isn't interested in the high chair. Then maybe a day or so it'll seem like she has lots of food. However, we aren't big 'schedulers' I am just kind of a 'go-with-the-flow mommy, if that makes any sense:thumbsup:

sherbetarchitect 06-09-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radtad (Post 3807743)
Ha, I feel ya on the doctor situation.:hugs:We missed some of our early well baby visits due to the exact same reason! Thankfully, I believe we have finally found a pedi who wants to be a doctor to our kids, instead of another parent!

Whew, done with that, moving on...:blush: We BLW, but not strictly. Addi eats most of what we are having for dinner, but certain things I will spoon feed her, which is technically a no-no for BLWers. Things like cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. She handles 'chunky food' on her own. Such as pieces of meat, veggies, etc. I also homemake just a few pureed things. I puree her pears and pretty much any type of berries for fruit. I give her these when she's playing with her 'big girl food'. She eats when we're eating for the most part. When she sees us eating our food is really the only time she is interested in anything non-boob:blush: If we have finished and are sitting there with her, she'll be totally done, no problem. Also, she goes in spurts...maybe 2-3 days will go by and she just isn't interested in the high chair. Then maybe a day or so it'll seem like she has lots of food. However, we aren't big 'schedulers' I am just kind of a 'go-with-the-flow mommy, if that makes any sense:thumbsup:

Raises hand because she wants to be a scheduler! - Bot I'm not so this feedback helps. Sounds like I'm on a similiar track...how old was your lo when you started intro'ing solids?

pbresolin 06-09-2008 07:58 AM

DD is 7 months old and we haven't vaxed yet either. She isn't really interested in any solids and I'm not rushing it. DS didn't want solids until he was 9 mo and he's a sturdy little fellow now at 2! He eats and loves everything! This is my third child and I'm busy with the 2 yo and the 7 mo and I figure she will eat when she wants to. I have no idea how much she weighs bc we haven't had a well child visit but she's chunky so I'm not worried about it. It all works out.

moonphishers 06-09-2008 09:47 AM

Dont "worry" much about solids yet - many babies are EBF until their first year and thrive! you can visit sites like kellymom . com and Dr Sears and LLL too for good info on solids :)

attimama 06-09-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonphishers (Post 3809978)
Dont "worry" much about solids yet - many babies are EBF until their first year and thrive! you can visit sites like kellymom . com and Dr Sears and LLL too for good info on solids :)

Oh that's what I was going to suggest.

I am just giving my LO a banana and an avacodo. He just likes to put stuff in his mouth, but doesn't seem to like how anything tastes. He gives this face :yuck:. I'm in no hurry if he isn't.

hautemama925 06-10-2008 03:49 AM

We're a BLW fam and dd is 8 1/2 mos- she's had baby food (carrots, squash, pees, sweet potatoes) and has sucked on carrots and grapes. I'd say if you averaged out the days she actually ate some sort of solid food I'd say it'd be about twice a week...??? We're in no rush. We are going to try and "step it up" here soon and start showing her the realm of food :-) I guess we're just going with the flow. That's the idea, right? I'm not sure but I'm just gonna go with it! hahaha!

missmadelyn 06-10-2008 12:52 PM

We're going to be doing BLW as well. DS is 6 months soon, and he is desperately interested in what we're doing at the table, and is constantly grabbing at our food. We've held him off for the last little while just because I don't want to start anything before 6 months, but he's definitely ready.

My doctor told me a baby is more likely to choke on pureed foods then on "table food" that's portioned and cooked properly. That made me feel better about the choking bit as well!

kannondicarpo 06-10-2008 12:57 PM

Nikolas was EBF until he was 10 months old and then didn't really start having any "meals" until he was about 12 months.

He is also not vaxed and we have not been to a WBV since he was 4 months old.