Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   I don't wanna start solids!?! (semi-long) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449945)

duck411 06-08-2008 09:09 PM

I don't wanna start solids!?! (semi-long)

I originally posted this here, in the breastfeeding forum. It includes a poll.

ajane 06-08-2008 09:37 PM

Re: I don't wanna start solids!?! (semi-long)

Solids shouldn't be started until baby is ATLEAST 6 months old and is able to sit unassisted, has pincer grasp, has comletely lost the tongue thrust reflex, and has an interest in acutally eating, not just grabbing/playing with food.

Do what feels right to you!:hugs: I didn't start Anna until she was 7 1/2 months and we skipped all cereals/pureed/jar foods. I just give her the "real" thing and she loves it! :thumbsup:

tranquilseeker 06-09-2008 12:03 PM

I answered on your other thread:goodvibes:

DaynaR 06-09-2008 12:16 PM

Do what you feel is right. It's your baby. Solids don't need to be started until 6 months.

Don't let people force you into doing something you don't want to, espcially since you know you child best, and from what you've said, your babe isn't ready.

hautemama925 06-10-2008 03:41 AM

OMG I'd tell her and everyone else to shove a sock in there mouth so they can spend less time flapping their jaw and more time reading about breastfeeding! I'm SOOOOooooo serious! I'm not so candid about those things. ESPECIALLY when it comes to breastfeeding because so many ppl are so........ uneducated (?) about it all. You poor little mama. I support you :-) Babies spit up and sometimes they spit up more than other babies or spit up more as a phase. If she's gagging and all that she doesn't want it and she'd definitely not ready. You and her are both having an awful time because of what other people are saying to you. You two need to just forget 'em! LOL I didn't give dd her first solids until 7 1/2 mos. It was rice and she gagged (yuck!). So we waited a week and tried carrots later (wierd) and then sweet potatoes (yum), then squash (eh), then peas (yum!) and since she's sucked on a whole carrot and grapes. That's it and she's 8 1/2 mos. We're working on it but there's no rush. She nurses 98% (2%=stuff I named)
:thumbsup: stay strong mama

PS I didn't wanna do solids FOREVER and even now I'm kind of "iffy" about it Lol

missmadelyn 06-10-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaynaR (Post 3811539)
Do what you feel is right. It's your baby. Solids don't need to be started until 6 months.

Don't let people force you into doing something you don't want to, espcially since you know you child best, and from what you've said, your babe isn't ready.

I agree with this comment. Everyone is going to have an opinion on what you should do, but you are the mommy, you know your child best, and you do have Mommy Instinct.

And this has probably been said before, but solids could be delayed until a year and your babe would be fine!:thumbsup: As long as breastfeeding continued!

reesesmom 06-14-2008 06:45 PM

my dd is 5.5 mos and i have not started solids yet. she is seeming very interested but i want to wait. do what you feel is right. not others.

mamaholdyou 06-14-2008 08:27 PM

DD is 11 months and I have really just started solids, mostly for entertainment purposes. DD still primarily BFs and the food is just fun for me and for her since she can pick it up for herself. I guess we very first started some rice at around 9 mos?
I really didnt want to start until a year because DH has TERRIBLE allergies so poor DD only gets things that DH is not allergic to ...which is like 3 or 4 things.
My pedi was totally supportive of me not giving her anything but breastmilk until a year too.

ariannasmommy 06-21-2008 09:30 AM

Just wait till your comfortable

sahm108 06-21-2008 12:48 PM

Have you tried the chiropractor for the spit-up? It worked wonders with DS! She also taught me how to massage him to keep the spit-up from reoccurring.

I started solids once a week with DD at about 5 months. I plan on waiting until DS can sit up and feed himself before starting solids with him.

Rice cereal is such a bad first food anyway. :yuck: