Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New baby-a few questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451192)

sweetpeamami83 06-10-2008 01:07 AM

New baby-a few questions

/

viettasgirl 06-10-2008 01:59 AM

Re: New baby-a few questions

My new babe is 9 days old and he goes through times like that. What I have read is that this is normal, they do cluster feed sometimes every hour. Usually they need the extra milk and it helps to boost mama's milk supply. I just go with it, and it subsides on its own. But I do try to get him to sleep in between feeds so he's not constantly nursing/pacifying himself on me and he's getting the rest he needs.

hautemama925 06-10-2008 03:52 AM

Aww. I swear EVERY mom who just gave birth writes this exact same thing! It's normal. They go through phases of growth and need to feed more to boost your milk supply and then they go through phases of just wanting to suck and then they go through phases of being too sleepy to eat continuously. Pretty much go with it and take good care of yourself and your breasts. I feel for you :-)

karlitacat 06-10-2008 07:52 AM

I had my 1st in November... and she cluster fed for a few months. It was maddening! But a lot of feeding in the early days will establish a good milk supply. Nursing not only provides nourishment for your baby, but is also soothing - so it's probably a combination. A newborn has a tiny stomach, so it's gonna fill up fast, and empty just as quickly. It hurt for me to nurse, probably for the first couple months - maybe because I was a newbie? It seemed like my baby girl wasn't latching on properly, but even though I would correct her, she would come off and put her mouth where she wanted it. Eh - we're having no problems now. Next time around, I'm gonna be more relaxed about how much my baby nurses, because I wonder if my constant concern got in the way of my milk supply. I'm always worried that I'm gonna dry up! Anyhoo... I would say it's all normal.

blackflaggirl 06-10-2008 01:49 PM

The constant nursing thing is normal like the other mamas said, my daughter was using me for a pacifer and the i got the playtex binky pacifer the nipple looks like an actually nursing nipple, like if you pulled your nipple out, its in that shape and she stopped, shes now almost 5 months and she doesnt use it all the time only at night. If he doesnt like that one try the gerber one that looks like a real nipple. Im sure he wont get confused or want to stop nursing. HTH!!!

sweetpeamami83 06-10-2008 01:56 PM

/