Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   What options to mix with cereal? Ancient Grain cereal suggestions? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452102)

duckpondsunset 06-10-2008 07:11 PM

What options to mix with cereal? Ancient Grain cereal suggestions?

We're almost at 8 months with very little solids yet. DS has tasted banana, avocado, and organic applesauce and really seems to enjoy the food experience. I was thinking of trying some cereal for fun and I do have a great breast pump, so we will start by mixing w/breastmilk, but looking to the next few months-what did you mix w/cereal and at what age? I love organic ancient grain cereals-are there any you'd suggest for baby (brand suggestions and homemade recipes welcome!) I'm also wondering about mixing with thinned yogurt, goat yogurt, applesauce, whatever. And primarily 9-12 months of age and after we have tested the grains individually for tolerance. TIA!

rachaeljohnson 06-10-2008 07:22 PM

Re: What options to mix with cereal? Ancient Grain cereal suggestions?

we just started lor on rice cereal and i just mix it with water because pumping doesn't work for me (i only have a manual and she eats soooo often still). I just take brown raw rice, put it in a clean coffee grinder, then cook it to a porrage with water...she loves it. We have mixed it with pureed banana, but usually just plain.

wear_your_baby 06-10-2008 09:12 PM

Baby just started some cereal last week. I mill the rice (brown organic) in my Nutrimill. Then put the entire bag in the fridge. When it's time to feed, I boil a few Tbsp. of water and add a couple small spoons of the rice. Stir it so it cooks. Then add a Tbsp. of breastmilk or so. He loves it. Tastes much better than the store-bought stuff. You can mill rice in a blender, too. I just bought some millet and quinoa and I plan to do the same with that.

duckpondsunset 06-10-2008 09:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I read an article in Mothering a few months back about grinding rice for cereal. They also suggested toasting it for added flavor. I think that's probably what we'll start out with since rice seems pretty tasty to most people, young or old.

duckpondsunset 06-10-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson (Post 3826373)
we just started lor on rice cereal and i just mix it with water because pumping doesn't work for me (i only have a manual and she eats soooo often still). I just take brown raw rice, put it in a clean coffee grinder, then cook it to a porrage with water...she loves it. We have mixed it with pureed banana, but usually just plain.

So did you name your cat/dog Swiffer due to the dust bunnies?:giggle:

stephas 06-10-2008 09:48 PM

I mixed cereal with equal parts water and organic applejuice (for a little bit of flavor).

But our main use for cereal was to thicken baby food up. DS looooooved to chew so I would stiffen his food a bit with oatmeal (rice gave him pebble poop).

karlitacat 06-10-2008 09:51 PM

I bought Earth's Best organic rice cereal to mix in with breastmilk around 5 months (supposed to help with spitting up). My little girl is almost 7 months now, and she's eaten all sorts of homemade baby food (including yogurt). Once I started with cereal, I added fruit right away (banana, applesauce, apricots, and mango). You can do the same thing with yogurt (My girl LOVES avocado and yogurt, and banana and yogurt). I also do different combinations - rice cereal (or pureed cooked brown rice) with applesauce and yogurt. I have an extra stash of dry cereal in the diaper bag, and if I don't have any breastmilk to mix in with it, I sometimes use the diluted applejuice in her sippy cup and she loves it. You can really try mixing anything with cereal to give it a familiar taste- sweet potato is another winner. Good luck!

rachaeljohnson 06-11-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckpondatdusk (Post 3827755)
So did you name your cat/dog Swiffer due to the dust bunnies?:giggle:

Yep...she would put her nose under the couch and stove when we got her and come out with huge dust bunnies...doesn't say much to my cleaning habbits huh? ha ha!!

rachaeljohnson 06-11-2008 07:19 AM

we make our own rice cereal bc we are trying to avoid added iron until she is at least 7 months old and all baby brands are fortified...it's supposed to screw with the way babies absorb the iron in breast milk once they have artificial forms!! :)

threecrazykids 06-11-2008 08:22 PM

We just started cereal about a week and a half ago and my DD is 7 months. She has had some fruits and veggies. She will not eat the cereal with out it being mixed with something. Plain I guess is boring. I have been using earth's best cereal, but I am going to start making my own because of the iron in the store bought. My DD has had some major constipation due to the iron.