Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   PMS meds? Over the counter? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452779)

akrab 06-11-2008 11:52 AM

PMS meds? Over the counter?

I was hit! My vacation is over!

The last few days I have been a major *insert word of choice here* and this morning I woke up and found out why! AF found me! DS is about a week shy of 6 months... and even though he is EBF she found me anyway :banghead: ( last child was EBF also and AF came back on his 1 year birthday!)

Anyway is there anything safe to take when breastfeeding? My DH will be eternally grateful if you know a miracle drug LOL

moonphishers 06-11-2008 11:57 AM

Re: PMS meds? Over the counter?

what kind of symptoms are you having?? Lots of things are okay to take, but you'd want to take the least amt of "stuff". :D

akrab 06-11-2008 12:43 PM

major witchiness LOL horrible mood swings.... I am like a rabid pit bull to put it mildly LOL

I am ok now.... just wanting to protect my DH from the next episode haha

moonphishers 06-11-2008 12:48 PM

mood swings. I see - lots of thing can help in that and most of them are safe. start looking up remedies online, from friends etc and then you can always check the Dr Hale forums :D

akrab 06-11-2008 12:52 PM

LOL that is why I posted here to find out.. so I wouldnt have to hunt :giggle2: and I would like first hand experience.... like someone to say "Hey! I took B12 and no longer wanted to kill my husband and it did no harm to my baby through my breastmilk"

I should look on Kelly Mom.... :)

akrab 06-11-2008 01:00 PM

I found this at Kelly Mom

Evening Primrose Oil
Considered safe for nursing moms. Reported useful for nursing moms who are trying to conceive. Also reported useful for treating postpartum depression, sore nipples during ovulation, PMS, fibrocystic breasts, Raynaud's syndrome and plugged ducts. EPO is derived from Oenothera biennis seeds and is an excellent source of essential fatty acids and their more complex metabolites GLA ( gamma linoleic acid). The suggested dosages that I have seen vary from 500-6500 mg per day for various problems: 500 mg per day has been suggested for breastfeeding moms with sore nipples during ovulation; 1000 mg 3 times a day for PMS or fibrocystic breasts. According to Hale, overt toxicity of this product appears to be quite low. No pediatric concerns have been reported. The Botanical Safety Handbook regards EPO as "safe when used appropriately." Overdoses of essential fatty acids have been known to provoke gall bladder attacks.

OK.... so is this a pill? Can I get it at a pharmacy? has anyone used it while breastfeeding for pms and how well did it work?