Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   hi, strawberry birth marks anyone? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45386)

mom2B 09-26-2006 10:09 AM

hi, strawberry birth marks anyone?

Hi, My little girl was born on july 31 06. She seems very healthy I was wondering if anyone has ever experianced strawberry birth marks and I was wondering if They ever spread or do they stay in similar size hers was very light at birth an I thought it was a storke bite but now it has grown much larger and has gotton lumpy instead of flat It is on her chest that is great for her. But Iam still very concerned If anyone has a input please do. Id like to send pics with this but Iam new to all of this and really have no clue as to how to do so. Thankyou
Rebecca

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 09-26-2006 10:21 AM

Re: hi, strawberry birth marks anyone?

our son has what looks like strawberry also but it's gotten lighter and smaller since birth, I forget the medical term for his, what did they say for yours?

MamaMel 09-26-2006 10:25 AM

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/str...ngioma/AN00971

hemangioma. They are no big deal. Most of the time they will go away!

Mindi 09-26-2006 10:26 AM

My middle ds has a strawberry mark. But he didn't get it until he was about 6 weeks old :headscratch: The doc said it would be gone by the time he was 1. He is now 3 and he still has it. It is much lighter and smooth now. But no one can see it b/c it is on his scalp and his hair hides the entire thing.

GoddessWifeMom 09-26-2006 10:30 AM

My DD has one on the back of her head just at the beginning of her neck. She has had it since birth and her doc also said it's nothing to worry about.

It gets darker and lighter just depends on the day it seems.

Luckily it's covered by her hair and most of the time it is light. It's about the size of a toonie, or for those in the US about 1 & 1/2 quarters size maybe 2 quarters.

tessa1002 09-26-2006 10:33 AM

My son also has a very large strawberry hemangioma covering most of the upper part of his arm. The doctors said that this should go away by the time he is 8, and will get lighter in the years leading up to that. However, if you baby's birthmark is already starting to get larger, and especially developing lumps, she might have a port wine stain instead. These get larger with time, sometimes even raising out of the skin. I don't know too much about them, I only researched them briefly after DS was born. (The doctors didn't seem too sure it was a strawberry at first) I really don't think port wine stains are harmful, unless they start to take over the baby's face and throat and inhibit speech, sight, etc. However, I would bring it up at your next well visit just to make sure, and to get a professional opinion. :goodvibes:

Sweetforestcat 09-26-2006 11:26 AM

my oldest had one under his left arm on his chest. It did grow about 3-4 inches but at age 9 it stopped and now it is colorless and flat at age 12. Be careful not to puncture it or it could bleed a lot.

keegans_mommy 09-26-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessa1002
However, if you baby's birthmark is already starting to get larger, and especially developing lumps, she might have a port wine stain instead. These get larger with time, sometimes even raising out of the skin.

Port wine stains stay smooth and just grow with the child rather than it growing larger. They are just a bunch of little tiny blood vessels with no use and all in one spot. 1/2 of Tiffany's face is covered with one and we've been visiting dermatologists and lazer surgeons since she was born :goodvibes: They never go away unless you have then surgically removed and will only get darker; think Barney purple. :( So, when she has a lazer surgery, the lazer destroys these blood vessels, they turn black (like somebody hit her and the vessels broke from the impact) then it soaks back into the skin and her face becomes a bit lighter. :)

What you are describing sounds like a strawberry mark and it disappears on it's own between 5-8 years of life. Not to worry, it's harmless :goodvibes:

ChurchPunkMom 09-26-2006 12:31 PM

Is it possible for port wine stains to appear on, say, the thigh? My daughter has a large red birth mark on her thigh.. I can't figure out what kind it is.:headscratch:

tessa1002 09-26-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
Port wine stains stay smooth and just grow with the child rather than it growing larger. They are just a bunch of little tiny blood vessels with no use and all in one spot. 1/2 of Tiffany's face is covered with one and we've been visiting dermatologists and lazer surgeons since she was born :goodvibes: They never go away unless you have then surgically removed and will only get darker; think Barney purple. :( So, when she has a lazer surgery, the lazer destroys these blood vessels, they turn black (like somebody hit her and the vessels broke from the impact) then it soaks back into the skin and her face becomes a bit lighter. :)

What you are describing sounds like a strawberry mark and it disappears on it's own between 5-8 years of life. Not to worry, it's harmless :goodvibes:

Like I said, I don't really know much about them, I'm sure you know a whole lot more than me since you've been dealing with one. However, I did find a couple sites where it explains that they can be raised or pebbled. Heres a quote from http://www.dermatologychannel.net/bl...portwine.shtml .

Quote:

Signs and Symptoms

Port-wine stains are present at birth and vary in size and shape. They first appear pale pink in color and darken with time. The texture can change gradually from smooth to thickened and pebbled.