Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Karo syrup and constipation question! HELP!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456649)

blessedmomof2! 06-14-2008 11:07 PM

Karo syrup and constipation question! HELP!!

Has anyone ever heard of putting Karo Syrup in the babies bottle when he/she is constipated? Has anyone heard that you should not give babies Karo syrup? I know about not giving them honey until they are older but was not sure about this. I gave my daughter Gerber rice cereal :yuck: mixed with breastmilk and she has been grunting and stretching her legs out and has not pooped. She used to poop several times a day but since the cereal it may be a few days before she goes. It is also not seedy anymore; just kind of watery and smells like vinegar.:headscratch: My mom has been saying to add corn syrup in it and it should help he go regularly. I did a search about it on Google and didn't find much about it except someone stated to use the dark Karo syrup.

When I was feeding her yesterday, I tasted it because I like to know what things taste like that she eats and it smelled and tasted like the cardboard box it comes in!!:yuck: :headscratch: I saw on this site that some moms grind up rice and cook it and use that instead. I may try that. Any friendly advice on the Karo Syrup part? What do you so for constipation?

yummymummy07 06-15-2008 12:14 AM

Re: Karo syrup and constipation question! HELP!!

Rice can be very constipating. I've heard of the Karo syrup idea, but I've never tried it. I think it's probably outdated advice. We always gave my son prunes, peaches, pears, and oatmeal for a day or two to get his system going again. It worked so well that we always made sure to always have prunes and peaches on hand!

JeDeeLenae 06-15-2008 12:15 AM

I would just go for prunes or prune juice first. I've never heard of using Karo Syrup.

blessedmomof2! 06-15-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yummymummy07 (Post 3867982)
Rice can be very constipating. I've heard of the Karo syrup idea, but I've never tried it. I think it's probably outdated advice. We always gave my son prunes, peaches, pears, and oatmeal for a day or two to get his system going again. It worked so well that we always made sure to always have prunes and peaches on hand!

She is 4 1/2 months old and I just started her with the rice cereal. Would it be okay to start fruit now?

JeDeeLenae 06-15-2008 12:28 AM

I would trust fruit before trusting Karo Syrup. Have you asked your doctor?

MatildasMum 06-15-2008 12:31 AM

If her stool is watery, then she isn't constipated.

Call her doctor! He/She will be able to help you out better than we can! :hugs:

jjaelovesenglish 06-15-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedmomof2! (Post 3868027)
She is 4 1/2 months old and I just started her with the rice cereal. Would it be okay to start fruit now?

I would just hold off until she is a little older, she is just getting it for texture and no nutritional value right now. I wouldn't give my 2 1/2 Kyro syrup let alone a tiny thing.

CrunchyMama0607 06-15-2008 01:22 AM

didn't work for us :hugs: cut back on solids, add 2oz water (just plain) into the diet & get your lo some prunes :hugs:

eta: maybe buy some infant stool softners & if your bfing add more fiber to your diet. also maybe try brown rice cereal:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/cereal.htm stir in a TINY amount of applesauce & just barely warm it.

http://www.thefunplace.com/guild/superbaby.html

Other popular first foods are avocado, sweet potato, ripe banana, and if your baby is older, millet cereal and yogurt. You and your pediatrician should decide which food should be given to your baby at her very first meal.

blessedmomof2! 06-15-2008 12:51 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I started her with cereal because she was showing the signs of being ready and I just had that feeling that she was. I was told that it is not constipation if it is watery but she grunts and tightens her tummy but does not have a BM. Her nurse at Dr's off stated that BF babies are fine if they have one BM a week but my daughter does not seem to be comfortable with that. I started cereal a couple of weeks ago but stopped after a few days because she wasn't going. She stopped grunting so I gave her some the other day just once for dinner and she started grunting right after. I will buy some prunes today and I am also going to give her some water.

germanmommy 06-15-2008 01:16 PM

Hi, apple and prune juice ( after the 3 month)!