Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Whole milk until what age? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457277)

*Alabamamom* 06-15-2008 08:52 PM

Whole milk until what age?

I'm finding varying answers on how long toddlers need whole milk.. I'm having to buy 3 different kinds; whole for my 2 yr old, 2% for my teens and dh, and nonfat for myself. I'm just wondering if it's ok for the 2 yr old to have 2% now? Seems like after 2 yrs 2% lowfat is ok.. Or maybe it's 5 yrs? Anyone? :headscratch:

boilerbebeRN 06-15-2008 09:02 PM

Re: Whole milk until what age?

Yep....whole milk until 2 years old.

*Alabamamom* 06-15-2008 09:51 PM

So what about if he's not a very big toddler? I wonder if he would need the extra fat and calories? He still night-time nurses though too. He is exactly 29lbs at 2yrs2mo.. I don't mind keeping him on the whole for a while longer.. it's just that he has maybe 2 cups a day and it's cheaper to get a gallon, but he doesn't drink it all before the exp date nears.. the older kids don't like whole milk, otherwise they'd just drink the excess before the exp date.. It would be easier and more cost effective to put him on the 2%.. but I guess I just would feel quilty about it if he needs those extra colories.. am I rambling here now? :roflmbo:

srfbluemama 06-15-2008 10:12 PM

Our ped. said DS could go to 2% at 2, but we've kept him on whole milk because we're trying to get DD on whole milk (not very successful BTW). I didn't really want to buy three different kinds of milk. But I think we're going to switch to 2% soon anyway, since DD won't drink cows milk of anyway.

LuAnn 06-15-2008 10:40 PM

ds1 has been on 2% since he was about 15m per dr giving the ok

tallanvor 06-15-2008 10:47 PM

We all drink whole milk. I have really understood why someone wouldn't. All the reports I've read seem to me to basically be saying that since our society is fat we need to not drink whole milk because it's more fat. I just don't understand how the fat that is sooooo good for a baby/toddler is soooooo terrible for everyone over the age of 2. And yes, I realize there are some exceptions, but it just seems to me that it is another case of blaming something that isn't really the problem.

escapethevillage 06-15-2008 10:47 PM

I'm on the daycare food program.

It says whole milk til age 2, then 2%, 1% or even skim (I think)

*Alabamamom* 06-15-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 3874172)
We all drink whole milk. I have really understood why someone wouldn't. All the reports I've read seem to me to basically be saying that since our society is fat we need to not drink whole milk because it's more fat. I just don't understand how the fat that is sooooo good for a baby/toddler is soooooo terrible for everyone over the age of 2. And yes, I realize there are some exceptions, but it just seems to me that it is another case of blaming something that isn't really the problem.

I think the little guys are supposed to have whole milk because their brain is rapidly growing and it needs that extra fat to grow properly.. someone correct me if I'm wrong though.. I just couldn't remember the age of when they didn't need the extra fat any longer...

*Alabamamom* 06-15-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 3874176)
I'm on the daycare food program.

It says whole milk til age 2, then 2%, 1% or even skim (I think)

Thanks! :thumbsup: I think I may try him on the 2% after he finishes what he has in the fridge.

uoducks 06-16-2008 12:54 AM

I believe our Pediatrician just told me whole milk until 2yrs of age, but you might want to double check with your doc.

Our Pediatrician said "whole milk" is the 150-160 calorie milk (see calories on carton) which I found in the grocery stores to be the 3.25%, 3.8%, and the Vitamin D, Homogonized milk.