Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Need advice with 7.5 month old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458906)

curlytop 06-17-2008 12:31 PM

Need advice with 7.5 month old

I just found this forum. I am long winded- background first, questions at the end. I am struggling with my DD and solids. She has been interested in solids since 5 months and after the doctor really pushed me to start them, I gave her rice cereal mixed with frozen breastmilk for 2 days and gave awful faces (she also had never had frozen breastmilk before) anyway I was looking for a reason to switch to sweet potatoes. I wanted to do all organic and my in-laws didn't buy organic so I pointed out that she didn't seem hungry for it while visiting them so we took a solids break. Now at 7 months I still have done a little sweet potatoes and introduced peas but she seems really hungry (very active- pulling up and cruising alittle). She spits up alot including solids sometimes and sometimes has loose stool after solids meal.

I was EBFed until 9 months and want to BF until she is at least 2. Oh, I am having major digestive issues since she was born and have lost alot of weight. Her weight gain has slowed alot from the beginning. 7.5 months and 15.5 lbs. (birth weight 8lbs. 6 oz)

Questions:

What should the quantity of solids look like for momma's not wanting to wean so quickly (The doc is pushing for 3 meals a day and all this food as if I was wanting to wean now. What have you done?

For you momma's who BLW (resources for this), how do you do it? Where do you start? I want to homemake (super baby foods) her food but haven't started yet?

I was surprised to see people giving broccoli so early is there a typical order that is different in BLWing.

Oh right now she is sick with bronchiolitis and I haven't given her solids in a few days, would you continue waiting until she is well. (So far not a bad case)

Thank you more questions but will start here. My doctor is no help so I am turning to the real experts the momma's with the same philosophy.

BumbleBear 06-17-2008 01:16 PM

Re: Need advice with 7.5 month old

I'm not an expert, but I bfed my twins until they were 13 mos and we started solids (just rice cereal) at 6 months. We started fruit & veggies around 9 mos. Bowel changes are normal, and so is spitting up (NOT severe reflux or vomiting tho).

One thing you could do is nurse first before giving solids. Right now your LO is just learning HOW to eat and her main source of nutrition will still be from you. Think of solids as a dessert and BM as her meal.

I made all my own babyfood by steaming the veggie or fruit and pureeing it in a food processor. I would then pour/spoon the puree into ice cube trays and freeze it. Once frozen I popped the cubes out into a freezer bag to store them. As my girls got older, I just made the puree more chunky.

IDK if you are vegan, but we arent, and when we first intruduced meat (chicken), I boiled a breast, pureed it with some water, and then mixed it with sweet potato.

Here is an excellent website on making your own baby food and a suggested timeline of when to introduce what foods: www.wholesomebabyfood.com.

Good luck! I hope other mamas will have more advice about BLWing & solids than I do...