Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hugs Please - Feeling like a horrible mommy :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459109)

Airyl 06-17-2008 02:07 PM

Hugs Please - Feeling like a horrible mommy :(

I need some hugs mamas! :cry:

A couple of hours ago, I was getting ready to go into Goodwill, and dd was asleep in her car seat. So I'm getting the stroller ready so I can just put her in it and let her keep napping. A couple were trying to get in their car next to me, so I moved over and shut the door a bit so the woman could get in. After they pull out, I turn back and the DOOR IS LOCKED!!! I usually slip the keys in my pocket while I'm getting ready to get dd out, but stupid me put them in the diaper bag, which is on the backseat! :banghead: I start trying to get the door open bc it wasn't closed all the way, but just enough to catch. So I ran in the store and asked for help, someone called 911 for me, and this really nice older man goes out and tries to open the doors with a fishing pole I guess he had in his car. He had the presence of mind to cover the back window with a blanket, and I went back in to get another one. This woman wouldn't let me take it out (ok, I can kind of understand), and then tells me that someone just called 911 to report me. I had this news story I saw about a mom getting arrested for leaving her kid in the car to do something a few feet away flash in my mind, and I'm like OMGosh, now not only is dd stuck in the car, but I'm going to jail! I'm not a careless mama, I usually carry two sets of keys when we're out, I just made the dumbest mistake ever.

So I ran back outside and a woman (turned out to be the manager) was on her cell phone calling 911 to get the fire dept to come open my car. The woman that was in the store was leaving in her car and asks how old dd is, and if it was her child she'd be breaking the window because she could die, like I am just standing there chilling or something. Ok, I already know it is a serious situation, I have nothing to break the window with, the fire dept is on the way, and I am obviously bawling my eyes out. How is that helpful?! Then dd woke up and started bawling. A firetruck was there in like one minute after the phone call, and there was a man on each door trying to get them open. People were just standing around watching while I'm crying, and the sweet store manager was the only one trying to make me feel better.

They got the doors open in a minute flat, and I grabbed dd out. She was super red in the face and sweaty, but the paramedic said she looked fine and to just take her home, cool her down, and give her fluids. She seems fine now, and luckily she was asleep for most of the 10 min max she was in there. I cried the whole way home. She is fine, but I am still shaky. I don't think I've ever been that scared in my life.

Someone please give me a hug! :cry:

Emily Whited 06-17-2008 02:15 PM

Re: Hugs Please - Feeling like a horrible mommy :(

It happens you are not a horrible mommy.

Mirasmom 06-17-2008 02:15 PM

:hugs: I did that...we were at Wal Mart in Texas 90 degrees and I gave dd the keys to play with while I unloaded the groceries in the back. Well, just as I was shutting the hatch my MIL went to open her door and, AH! It was LOCKED! DD had pushed the lock button on the keys. My 8 week old ds and 17 month old dd in the car. It was funny for about 2 seconds when I realized how hot it was and ds was only 8 weeks old! My MIL had OnStar which can open your car for you, but luckily we got dd to push the unlock button after about a min or two. It was sooo frightening thinking about what could have happened. Obviously I'm much more careful now.

daisy0306 06-17-2008 02:23 PM

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: you're not a horrible mommy, you did everything you could. You could have hurt her by breaking the window, that other woman was a cow. It's not like you left her in the car while you pleasure shopped.

Bunny 06-17-2008 02:26 PM

:hugs: you are not a horrible mother. Accidents happen, and even though it was frightening, you and DD are both safe. Try not to beat yourself up too much, ok? :goodvibes:

Airyl 06-17-2008 02:27 PM

Thank you mamas. I'm calming down now. It helps to tell somebody.

p1p3r 06-17-2008 02:30 PM

I've done it too, hun. I'm sorry the turdburglers weren't more helpful or understanding to you but people stink sometimes.

:hugs:

eco-baby 06-17-2008 02:33 PM

I'm so sorry that people were mean to you in that sitch mama! I have so done that (it was winter though thanks God!) with my DD, one time the car was running (yeah I did it more than once!:blush: )...so you were being considerate and people were mean to you...I wonder if that lady has ever actually tried to break a car window...I hit one once when I was a teen ager, ya - not so easily broken!
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: mama, no worries, it's all good now - whew... :)

Fither 06-17-2008 02:34 PM

many hugs mama. you are not a horrible mommy, things like this just happen. i'm glad she's ok. :)

i think you should spoil yourself with ice cream and chocolate. :hugs:

cheygirl 06-17-2008 02:39 PM

You are not a horrible mama! Accidents happen. In fact I heard somewhere that this is a very common call that the AAA/CAA get ... they have to come rescue kids accidentally locked in cars by their parents all the time. My DH did this a few months ago. He let DD play with the car keys while she was in the carseat. He accidentally closed the door while the locks were set to "lock", and he then stood there for 5 minutes on pins and needles, looking in the window and praying DD would press the "unlock" button on the keys. She did. He was lucky!