Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Can you help us get into solids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459243)

hautemama925 06-17-2008 04:08 PM

Can you help us get into solids?

We started off trying cereal at 7mos, yuck! She didn't like it. We tried a couple more times just in case... so we moved on! She seems to do ok w/ sweet potatoes and peas hasn't taken to sucking/munching on whole pieces of stuff like carrots and bananas. We've also tried grapes, squash, squash with a little meat (accidently but she did well) and little baby puffs. She's interested in what I have so I try to give her a taste (piece of bread, mushy broccli, etc) and now at 8 1/2 mos she's not so keen about it all. I heard somewhere to keep a schedule- do solids at the same time everyday... what do you think??? I wasn't sure if we should just explore as we go and forget about a schedule... Also, I don't think I know much about pureeing myself. Boil, mush, feed... right? She's EBF and LOVVVVVVES her breastmilk lol I'm just not sure how we should treat it to make it fun and interesting so she's open, KWIM? We don't want a picky eater who eats nothing but strawberries or something crazy like that!!! LOL! Do we just try whatever? ( besides the obvious "no-no's") I'm not into buying the books because the information is all so different and sporadic so by the time you get all the info you need or want it's 4-6 books later and you're out $80-$120. Don't get me wrong- if there's a super good book I'll go for it....... But when it gets down to it, I just don't want to rush her or anything and I want to be sure this is fun and feels safe to her so it's not traumatic (my parents were crazy mean when it came to food- psycho!)

harleysheart 06-17-2008 04:39 PM

Re: Can you help us get into solids?

we have the same problems with our 61/2 month old. i know we still are at the early ages but she is just way wanting anything to do with food even if its stuff she feeds herself. I just keep trying and we dont do a schedule here i just do it when we are sitting down to a meal in hopes it makes her want it more since we are eating as well.

nini02 06-17-2008 04:48 PM

:giggle: My son is 11 months old and *barely* nibbles on solid foods. Just keep trying, they'll eat when they're ready.

mizzou2798 06-17-2008 04:49 PM

My ds wasn't into eating at first, we started around 5 mo (after much pressure from mil and doctor, who both thought we should have started sooner) with cereal and that did not go over well, even warm and mixed with breastmilk. A few weeks later, we tried bananas and mango and he was a little more receptive, but was most interested in playing with the food. Finally, in just the last few weeks he has started to want to eat and not just play. It took him at least a month and a half, but he enjoys our feeding time now (and so do the dogs) But he still only eats at most 2tbs of food a day. I say just keep on keepin' on, she'll get it.
As for making the food, I steam veggies and toss them in the food processor and it seems to work great. If the fruit is a firm fruit (ie pear), I poach it and then mash it, but if it is soft like banana I just mash it.

pureMotherhood 06-17-2008 07:39 PM

When my DS first started on solids he only liked bananas, so I ended up mixing banana in with everything else he tried and it worked. Bananas and . . . applesauce, avocado, sweet potato, oatmeal. Now he's eating a variety of foods. I always introduce a new food by itself, but I almost always have to go back and mix it with something sweeter like banana, applesauce or sweet potato. Then I gradually mix less and less until he's just eating the new veggie - takes a day or two.

Katiebear 06-17-2008 07:43 PM

We tried with soft, mushy pieces of food. DD seems to want to put everything in her mouth, so that's how she started on solids. She wasn't a fan of cereal but would eat anything off her tray. Mostly, she wanted to taste what we were eating.

Keep offering food to your LO, but don't act upset or worried if she won't take it. She will eventually catch on! :) Good luck, mama!

karlitacat 06-17-2008 08:09 PM

Looks like you already got some good advice. I started with cereal mixed with breastmilk around 5 1/2 months, and my little girl loved it. She's like any other person, though - it seems some days she just isn't in the mood! Or wants something else. If you put it into perspective - your baby is a person with his/her own likes and dislikes and may not want the same thing every day - it's not as frustrating.

I have the Super Baby Food book by Ruth Yaron, and puree fresh fruit and veggies. I freeze extra portions in ice cube trays, and have a few big freezer bags filled with smaller bags of various food items (including homemade yogurt). I think freshness and taste is a huge factor in a baby's willingness to try something. But just because she refuses doesn't mean she won't eventually eat it (I heard you may have to try a new food... I dunno... is it seven or eight times before she might actually accept it).

Applesauce was the 1st thing that my girl seemed to eat with gusto... but there are days when she won't open her lips for a spoonful of applesauce. Go figure! I microwave apple slices (unpeeled), puree (I have a little food processor) them with some lemon juice and cinnamon, and voila! She also loves banana, banana concoctions (banana + carrot + yogurt is a favorite), avocado, mango, green squash, and broccoli. Crackers are also a big hit - but very messy.

I tried to be consistent with her snacks/meals (kind of going along with my meal times), but it doesn't always work out. Sometimes she doesn't want "breakfast" because she just nursed and is all set for a while... so I may try for a late morning snack. Try to have a few options on hand and try a little bit at a time.

hautemama925 06-18-2008 12:21 AM

Wow, thanks everyone! Really good advice going on here. I think we'll just keep at it and do little bits at a time and def start trying the new ways for making it mushy.

zosiasmama 06-18-2008 12:54 AM

She may just not be ready. We started my DD at about 7 months and just tried somehting new every 4-5 days to check for allergies.

Most kids don't like cereal, so i would say skip it altogether.
But maybe just quit for awhile then come back to it in a few weeks.

MomOfSJandL 06-19-2008 02:26 PM

I just found this great site yesterday...

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

So far I have used two of the recipies, and my son loved them both. I have made baby food before, but mostly used the commercial stuff. My son seems to like this much better.